• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Randomly loosing Wifi. Dell or windows 8 problem?

guavaball

Extremely [H]
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
46,728
This is the second XPS computer I've had from Dell. First was the XPS 18 and now the XPS 27. Both of these were for my mom and she was constantly complaining about her wifi signal dropping.

So because I couldn't locally connect I would have to go over to her house to diagnose it and it was always something really weird forcing me to reinstall the wifi drivers

I thought it was over when I got her the XPS27 but once again this thing did it last night and I had to go over and uninstall the drivers reboot and hope it came back up which it finally did.

I'm thinking of just buying a usb wifi dongle and being done with it but is this something with windows 8 or is this a dell issue?
 
The wifi drivers you installed, did you get them from Dell or directly from the chipset manufacturer? Because I've run into this problem with several prebuilt systems before, and installing the drivers that come directly from the wifi chipset manufacturer always seems to fix it.
 
The wifi drivers you installed, did you get them from Dell or directly from the chipset manufacturer? Because I've run into this problem with several prebuilt systems before, and installing the drivers that come directly from the wifi chipset manufacturer always seems to fix it.

Ditto. This is almost always the case with prebuilt system networking and chipset drivers. Get the WiFi and LAN chipset drivers from intel/realtek/atheros/broadcom and update the drivers.

The vendor drivers are often YEARS older than generic ones provided by the chipset maker.

Other things to consider: Does it have some sort of Dell Wifi connection client? If so remove it and let the Windows network selection stuff do its thing.

Is it 802.11n? 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls and such as well as 2.4ghz. I've noticed that in parts of my house where the 5ghz signal is borderline, some 802.11n devices will keep hopping between 5ghz and 2.4ghz mode. Each time it causes a momentary drop or stutter.

My router has an option to give the 5ghz band a diff SSID, so you can force your 802.11n devices to go 5ghz or 2.4ghz depending on which SSID you point them to.
 
the best fix is to disable the option for "allow low power operation" most routers do not play well with that...
 
Honestly I didn't touch the pre installed OS so I'm assuming its a Dell version driver
 
Back
Top