• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Random shutdown/crash when plugging in USB devices?

Flapjack

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
3,214
This one has me scratching my head.

I'm thinking it's either motherboard or case related, but I can't find anything wrong (I've taken it apart twice).

Basically, if I plug something into one of the front USB ports of my case, my system will partially shut down. Both monitors go dark, the fans speed up a bit, but the PC never shuts down or reboots. I have to hit the reset button to reboot the computer.

It does not happen all the time. In fact, after a reboot, I can plug in devices just fine.

Tonight, something even stranger happened. Knowing it could very well happen (seems to happen more frequently when the system has been running for a while), I slowly went to plug in the USB cable (no device attached... just the cable). As soon as metal touched metal, the system did it's thing... monitors off, fans running fast, non-responsive. This tells me it may have something to do with a ground, as I never actually shut the system off.

On a side note, I have a little all-in-one flash card reader that I use all the time. I put my SD/MS/MicroSD card in and plug it into USB, but the computer never shuts down. It only seems to happen when it's a cable being plugged in. Device attached or none.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

**EDIT**
Here are my system specs:
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
Mobo: ECS Black Series A790GXM-A AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940
 
My last build that I had for about five years would inexplicably power on when I'd unplug a device from this one USB port. I was never able to figure out why, but I'd love to know what the connection is.
 
Sounds like a short somewhere. Same thing happened to me. Replaced the case and it never happened again.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
If you can, try hooking up the front USB front panel ports from another case to your mobo. That'll help determine if the issue with the case itself or the mobo.
 
If you can, try hooking up the front USB front panel ports from another case to your mobo. That'll help determine if the issue with the case itself or the mobo.
I'll have to check to see if I have any. At this point, I think an RMA is more appropriate.

Does anyone know how Antec handles their RMAs? It would sure suck to tear down my PC, stack the hardware in a pile, then wait weeks for another one. I use this thing every single day.

I wonder if they'll cross ship...
 
I made an RMA request with Antec and was there reply:

Trouble Ticket ID: xxxxxx
Description: System shuts down when using front USB ports

-------------------------------------------------------

Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket has been changed from Submitted to Waiting on Customer with the following comment:
-------------------------------------------------------
Comment: Hi Christopher,

We will go ahead and send you a replacement front port assembly that should resolve this problem. The reference # for this spare part order is xxxxxx. Please allow 7 - 10 business days for delivery.

Thank You
Antec Support Team

Hopefully this does the trick!
 
Back
Top