Random restarts on a stable oc?

koston88

n00b
Been running my e7200 stable at 3.4ghz for like a year then recently when I installed Vista I've been getting random reboots. Temps are not that high 35 idle and 55 ish on load. Runs prime stable for like 8 hours. Ram is fine in memtest also,

I don't get any BSOD or anything it just reboots randomly. It'll run fine for days then suddenly start playing up (only after Vista was installed). So I put it back to stock for now.

Just wondering if anyone has had something similar to this or has any ideas what it is. I was thinking it might be my NB but that has a decent cooler on it and it's been running fine for ages till now. Anyone know any programs that can test the NB? Or should I test other things?

Kinda lost and don't know what to look for.. any help is appreciated :)

Mobo is a P45-E

I was getting the same issues and couldn't resolve it using forum solutions. You can take a look at your event log. (control panel->admin tools->Event log) filter each section to show only errors and do a google search on the id # and source.
Have you tried to update the BIOS recently? I had a ton of issues with my EVGAx58 until I updated my BIOS. Now I just have one annoying issue that make Vista unstable. Can't fix it... back to XP.:D

Thanks for the quick reply. Checking for new BIOS now. Mobo is P5Q-E actually hehe.
Checked the event log and seemed to get loads of postgres errors and sptd not loading errors :\

Research via google groups and see what fixes have been suggested. Can't hurt to try...(unless you haven't set a restore point... :))

So it works with stock settings? If so my guess is the old BIOS settings not cutting it anymore with the O/C.

So it works with stock settings? If so my guess is the old BIOS settings not cutting it anymore with the O/C.

It works at stock so far, it's been running fine all day. Gonna try it for a few days and check if there are no restarts at stock. If it's stable then I'll update bios/oc again.

Looked up the STPD error and it was to do with Daemon tools - so I installed the latest version and that doesn't show up in the event logger anymore.

Also looked up the other error and it was to do with Sonic DLA (an old CD program I had). Apparently this driver issue can cause reboots / bsods. (drvmcdb.sys file information)

Also resetting the BIOS to default settings and changing everything back manually rather than loading a pre-saved profile if that's what you've been doing, could be corrupted. Sounds like it might not be related to your OC tho... Maybe a clean install is in order.

Unless the random restarted are a function of software (windows in your case), your system isn't stable! Have you tried stress testing it again (p95 or memtest86)?

Unless the random restarted are a function of software (windows in your case), your system isn't stable! Have you tried stress testing it again (p95 or memtest86)?

Everything is at stock atm. Been on for the most part of the last two days and no restarts since. Been slowly getting rid of old programs and fixing up vista conflicts :). Memtest and prime run fine at the moment - only tested 1-2 hours so far. Will test longer when I get the chance.

is there an update for your mobo chipset drivers? Sometimes those can cause frustrating instability. I would update the bios as others have suggested, as well as all other drivers you can think of. Do you use any programs to monitor temps that would have a failsafe to shut down windows ? Maybe that isn't playing nice with vista. Good Luck, and if you do solve your issue let us know how.

Just run Prime95 while you're doing other stuff, it's designed to only take up spare CPU cycles so it shouldn't slow you down much if you're just browsing and stuff, stressing it while you're also working on it is the best test there is, 1-2 hours run really won't tell ya much as the error(s) could occur 1 min in, 1 hour in, or every 2 days for all ya know (given a normal workflow).

just went thru an issue just like this on a terciary machine. bsod, hangs, games crashing to desktop, random warm restarts, etc. turned out that avg is not compatible with win7, at least on my machine. suprising what some shit software can do.

O wow, I'm pretty sure AVG is compatible with Vista but I will check my installation of it though. Yup been running Prime whilst doing other stuff for the last two hours - will continue to run it tmr.

No temp programs running with a failsafe and all temps are pretty low as well.

for what its worth, random restarts on "stable" systems almost always fall on the PSU in my experience (in other words if your not getting any errors but every so often and sporatically the system restarts)

for what its worth, random restarts on "stable" systems almost always fall on the PSU in my experience (in other words if your not getting any errors but every so often and sporatically the system restarts)

Hmm PSU is still relatively new and it is a decent one. No burnt capacitor smell coming from it either.

Had prime running the last 12-14 hours and no errors so did a small OC to 3.2 and testing the stability now. Also updated the BIOS to the newest one.

One of the features of vista 64 is kernel patch protection. Your machine is exerting behavior that a machine with a rootkit trying to install itself into kernel space would exert.

Have you run all your stress tests at the same time? You know, use orthos running a custom test trying to use 3600MB of memory while you run furmark or something.

and what is your exact OC config? FSB, MEM:FSB, NB Strap, CPU cooler, voltages, etc?

"Your machine is exerting behavior that a machine with a rootkit trying to install itself into kernel space would exert."

Lost me there. :\

FSB - 341
Vcore - 1.2
Ram - running at just under 1066
Cooler - 9700 Zalman
(rest on auto // vdroop fix enabled // spectrum stuff disabled)

Was running fine at 3.4 for a long while (a year with no problems) till I installed Vista.
Been running prime for a while now with memtest and nothing so far at 3.2.

May try running more stress tests at once later.

Get a line conditioner, it helped me when my PC would randomly reboot despite being Prime95 stable. It turns out my place just has crappy power.

Get a line conditioner, it helped me when my PC would randomly reboot despite being Prime95 stable. It turns out my place just has crappy power.

Line conditioner? Is that a cheaper version of a UPS?

I'll look into it, sounds like a good idea.

Get a line conditioner with a ups on it. you will thank yourself later, your issue is almost certainly Power related. No errors or messages is usually power.

look into some of the offerings from cyberpower, i got one for around 100 bucks on sale + coupon and its been great.

Get a line conditioner with a ups on it. you will thank yourself later, your issue is almost certainly Power related. No errors or messages is usually power.

look into some of the offerings from cyberpower, i got one for around 100 bucks on sale + coupon and its been great.

Yeh I've been looking at a 500VA/300W UPS - heard it can power a 850W SLI system for 5-10 minutes on back up. Been stable so far with Prime running every time the comptuer is on (most of the day/night).

Yeh I've been looking at a 500VA/300W UPS - heard it can power a 850W SLI system for 5-10 minutes on back up. Been stable so far with Prime running every time the comptuer is on (most of the day/night).

You should actually use something close to the actual power draw of the system, if not a power outage isnt going to keep you system running.

Its not that you need a ups,if it was you would of needed one long ago.The problem is with vista and your software/hardware under vista..Nothing more and nothing less.Vista is tough on some boards when it comes to overclocking.I dont knock having a ups as I also have one,but that does not stop bsod,or random reboots when you have your stuff overclocked.

Its not that you need a ups,if it was you would of needed one long ago.The problem is with vista and your software/hardware under vista..Nothing more and nothing less.Vista is tough on some boards when it comes to overclocking.I dont knock having a ups as I also have one,but that does not stop bsod,or random reboots when you have your stuff overclocked.

Yeh I just upped the voltage on my NB from 1.1 to 1.15 because I was getting memory errors when I ran the memory at 1066 (even though it is 1066 ram) - looked it up on the ram's website. No errors now :)

It's weird how it ran fine on XP previously and how vista can mess it up so much :\

Back