• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Random rebooting in games(only games)

Catharses

n00b
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
34
ok.. i have been here alot this past week.. now i have all my problems solved but 1.. and it's the worst

I am getting reboots anywhere from 1 minute into playing a game to 2 hours of playing it is totally random.

I just upgraded to a athlon 64 x2 4400+ 1 gig of corsair xms 2-2-2-5 a gigabyte ga-k8u-939 board. and a gigabyte x800 pro(shows as a xt) AGP

I am not overclocking, i am not having heat issues. i have a 480w PS,

after a day of messing with every setting i could think of i tried the catalyst 5.9 drivers and my problems appeared to be solved.. then after a 2 and a half hour gaming session i had a reboot and then after startup and within 1 minute of getting back to teh game it crashed again.

I am getting just ablank screen my monitor gets no signal message and it hangs. sometimes it will reboot sometimes it hangs

I have no setting to set the voltage of the AGP slot.. well i do but i ts like 5% 10% and 15% i think.. and i am reluctant to mess with them.

I am convinced this is a driver issue.. but i didnt have a issue on my old MOBO at all witht eh 5.10 drivers. or any problems at all.

I am at my wits end with this and am getting pretty pissed and it takes ALOT to get me mad at a stupid computer.. but when i can't play my damn games its a bad problem.

my mobo revision is F3 and everything else is up to date as i can see I have looked at my event viewer and i see alot of errors to cli.exe.. but i can't find it on the harddrive ..

some help pls? anyone got ideas or know if setting my voltage for the AGP slot to +5% would kill the card?
 
you say you have a 480w psu, but what brand and model?
also, is it only games that crash?
 
Gigabyte has a POS Nforce drivers, I had simular problem back when I had GA7n400PRO2 mobo. Try going to www,guru3d.com and get nforce drivers off there, it helped me.
 
Did you say you have the x800pro unlocked to XT? That could cause instability.
 
"you say you have a 480w psu, but what brand and model?

it is a Powerlab USA 480w

I thought this might be a power issue so i unhooked all non essential poewr plugs(lights) and i am still haveing the problem


Gigabyte has a POS Nforce drivers, I had simular problem back when I had GA7n400PRO2 mobo. Try going to www,guru3d.com and get nforce drivers off there, it helped me.

it's the ULI chipset.. so no go


Did you say you have the x800pro unlocked to XT? That could cause instability.

no.. its an x800 pro that registers with 16 pipes unlocked.. i have never done anything physically to it

still happening
 
Lights use barely any power, try unplugging everything but your hard drive, mobo and video card and see what you get.
 
that psu appears to be rated for 16a on the 12v rail. nowhere near enough.. you should have respectable brand with >20a, esp with a power hungry dual core and fairly high power video card. my guess is that once the video card kicks in, it puts the psu near it's limit, and the rising case temps does it in
 
ya.. i went out and got an antec 480 truepower 2.0 and everything seems to be very stable.. i have played games for a good 4 hours and the only crashes i have gotten is in BF2(and not uncommon as you who play might know)

so it appears my problem was a shitty PSU. and man is that hard to diagnose if you dont have a good one

so for now.. it is ok.. but everytime i have thought i fixed it it came back.. so FOR NOW it's fixed.. im staying unbiased and my GF suffers the mess i created as i'm not putting shit back together till im positive it's done being a dick
 
Back
Top