Random re-boots and ....

Atl530i

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, I have a few problems with this computer. It reboots itself randomly sometimes, like 3 times a week now. It gets into windows and tells me it recovered from a serious system error or some crap like that. It'll also tell me that a program has ran into a serious error and has to shut down.

I'm thinking a memory problem. I've already done my research on the motherboard/memory combo.

I have an Intel DG965WH motherboard with the latest BIOS version with Kingston memory.
The motherboard only works with 1.8v ram, which it is with timings of 5.0-5-5. I'm running KVR800D2K2/2G ram. Basically DDR2-800 (PC6400) 2GB RAM. I'm having a tough time figuring this one out so any suggestions would be great.

But like I said it may be a memory issue though. The PSU is an Antec Neo 550watt power supply. So I do not think there is a power issue anywhere. I'm also running an X1300XT Radeon PCI-e video card. There is no power connector on there also.

Thanks for any replies.

Justin

I would guess memory first also. Have you run memtest on the memory yet?

Holy shit.

I just ran it and it all came back red. NOTHING passed. Screw Frys and their geeky sales people.

38000 fails, 0 passed...

Looks like I'll be going back to Frys tomorrow.

Errors in MemTest may indicate that the RAM is defective. However, the errors may also indicate incorrect settings. (I'm not sure if this is true for Intel systems, but I have firsthand experience of this with AMDs.)

If you have other RAM sticks available, or if you have another rig that uses the same type of RAM, I'd suggest testing components by switching the sticks between the two rigs. More time-consuming, perhaps, but also more meticulous and more likely to absolutely define what the problem is.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I checked with Intels website and the RAM I have installed in there is not on their list. It meets all the requirements with the voltage and timings but it still is not right. I'll get the right RAM and see what happens. This is the only PC I have at the moment that uses DDR2 unfortunately. I just upgraded the DDR2 when I built this PC.

Could also be bad memory slots. That is what is wrong on my Asus A8V, good thing the first 2 slots are ok.

You might also see if turning off videocard hardware acceleration and write-combining makes a difference.
Control panel>Display>Advanced button>Troubleshoot Tab

Errors in MemTest may indicate that the RAM is defective
or the wrong memory voltage or timings are being used.

What memory voltage options are in bios ?? 1.8v default is very low for many modules & may be a reason 4 the instability. What isd the rated/required voltage for your ram ??

Well, the voltage is supposed to be 1.8v with 5-5-5 timings. I went ahead and bought new memory and a new motherboard at the same time. It all totalled the cost of the Kingston RAM. Abit wins again :)

I bet the problem is memory voltage related. It seems like that alot of DDR2 needs a little more than 1.8v to be stable. Do you have voltage specs on the memory and can you turn up the voltage on the mobo BIOS? The DDR2 in my new home office PC would not run stable at 1.8v, but it's rock solid at 1.85 or 1.9v. The manufactur specs said it would run good at 1.8 - 2.2v but it does *not* run reliably at 1.8v.

bet the problem is memory voltage related. It seems like that alot of DDR2 needs a little more than 1.8v to be stable
That makes 2 of us:) :D
What memory voltage options are in bios ?? 1.8v default is very low for many modules & may be a reason 4 the instability

I don't have your same motherboard or memory, but my system used to reboot itself when my memory timings were set too low. They were set to 4-4-4-12 and once I set them to 5-5-5-15 my stability improved and it quit rebooting itself every now and then. But if you are getting all red in memtest with default timings and voltage, I would definitely go get good ram, or test each stick individually.

I just ordered the memory you posted. Never have I had this much problems with building a computer in the time I have been building computers.

I'm keeping the Intel board because it has 1394 and the Abit does not:confused: :confused: :eek: Back to Frys again I guess. Bastards....

auto is the SPD chip settings, What I am saying is that with the timings set on auto, the computer goes in and reads the SPD data (which I think you are seeing in the bios next to the places where you could manually put in the timings) and sets the memory to run at those settings.

I think you see two colums the left is the spd data and the right side is where you can put in manual timings and there it all says auto. (bioses vary so not sure of this.)

RTFM :p

I think I had it set to auto. When the new RAM comes in the mail I'll make sure it is set to the correct timings manually.

I not happy with that Abit board though. The last Abit board I had was an IS7-G based on the 865PE NB and had more features then the board I got now. It is an IL8 or something like that. Whatever though.

I think I had it set to auto. When the new RAM comes in the mail I'll make sure it is set to the correct timings manually.
QUOTE]

from the data sheet linked by the other poster you will not find the information you need to manually input the timings, its not on newegg either. I am not impressed at all the the specifications of that memory. Perhaps its full timings are on kingstons site.

For lights sake anyone else looking at this thread, notice the poster was asking if this was the ram being used and was NOT recommending it get Corsair Valure ram, OCZ , Adata whatever, even better Kingston, but not the stuff linked, its overpriced and as you can tell I dont think much of it. As long as the memory is specified to run at 1.8 or 1.9 volts you will be fine. It does not have to be 5 5 5 15 what matters is that 5 5 5 15 is in the SPD (automatic timing chip that is on the memory stick) and that its working voltage with both SPD and any other better advertised timings is 1.8 or 1.9 volts. Normal procedure is you leave it on auto, boot with the crappy SPD settings, and then go in and put in the better timings and memory voltage (if 1.9 1.8 is the default) and from then on you get the better speed and timings. The linked stuff has no better timings that I can find. yuck.

But HEY its works and there is a lot to be said for that.

I wished I had looked at Intels website before I bought the RAM. It turns out Frys does not stock the RAM I need. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Back