Ran into a problem I've never experienced after swapping PSU's. Help?

travis712

Gawd
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
578
Sorry I wasn't specific in the title, I didn't want to make it too long.

I'm currently using a old and slow Gateway PC that has a stock PSU. I have a nice Antec 430 not in use so I thought I'd swap them. I swapped them without incident and went to power up the computer. Works fine, though it took many attempts to start. I know for a fact the PSU is in perfect working order BTW, I've been using it a HTPC for a little while. I pop the CMOS battery out, leave it for a bit, try it again. Perfect. So I shut it down and see if I can start the computer and nothing. Rinse, repeat.

At this point I was out of ideas so I took the PC apart again and made sure everything's seated well and it was. Put the 430w back in my HTPC and it's running perfectly.

Any trouble shooting tips guys? I tried removing USB components and non essential hardware and it made no difference.
 
Last edited:
Does the Gateway perform fine with the stock PSU?

How old is the Gateway? Specs of it?
 
Does the Gateway perform fine with the stock PSU?

How old is the Gateway? Specs of it?

Perfectly. I only tried switching PSU's because I don't trust stock PSU's from Gateway/Dell/Compaq et cetera. This PC is a GT5404 with a 2x1GB upgrade in ram and an 8400s replaced the onboard video. The PC's probably three years old.

edit: don't know if specs will help but Intel Celeron dual core @2.8ghz, LGA 775 socket, 1 IDE & 1 SATA HDD, wireless internet card. That's everything in the PC besides the DVD drive.
 
The PC is not three years old since it's a socket 775 mobo with a Celeron D CPU. It's 5 years old as thats when that particular PC line was released IIRC. In any case, due to the age of that PC and considering the OEM, there's a possibility that there's something proprietary about the stock PSU needed to boot the PC correctly. Only real way to know for sure is try a 3rd PSU.
 
The PC is not three years old since it's a socket 775 mobo with a Celeron D CPU. It's 5 years old as thats when that particular PC line was released IIRC. In any case, due to the age of that PC and considering the OEM, there's a possibility that there's something proprietary about the stock PSU needed to boot the PC correctly. Only real way to know for sure is try a 3rd PSU.


Yep, more than likely its got a gateway proprietary pinout even though it might look the same. They finally stopped doing that crap though. What is the specific model of PC?
 
Perfectly. I only tried switching PSU's because I don't trust stock PSU's from Gateway/Dell/Compaq et cetera. This PC is a GT5404 with a 2x1GB upgrade in ram and an 8400s replaced the onboard video. The PC's probably three years old.

edit: don't know if specs will help but Intel Celeron dual core @2.8ghz, LGA 775 socket, 1 IDE & 1 SATA HDD, wireless internet card. That's everything in the PC besides the DVD drive.

Actually, that was a Pentium D. All Netburst Celerons still had only one physical core at the time of the GT5404's manufacture. The dual-core Celeron was not introduced until fairly late into the Conroe/Kentsfield Core 2 CPU era.
 
Pretty sure that Gateway PSU/Motherboard isn't standard. What model is the Gateway PSU, there might be a pinout diagram available for it. I'd be willing to bet it's not a standard ATX design.
 
Actually, that was a Pentium D. All Netburst Celerons still had only one physical core at the time of the GT5404's manufacture. The dual-core Celeron was not introduced until fairly late into the Conroe/Kentsfield Core 2 CPU era.

Yep you're correct. I knew that actually, just mispoke. Thanks
 
Pretty sure that Gateway PSU/Motherboard isn't standard. What model is the Gateway PSU, there might be a pinout diagram available for it. I'd be willing to bet it's not a standard ATX design.

Well that's unfortunate but you're probably right. I'm not sure on the model of the PSU, I'd look right now but have an appointment I need to leave for very soon. Thanks for the help
 
Just going to bump this once in hopes that someone's familiar with these older Gateways(model GT5404). Both PSU's are the same size, same mount holes etc. Do Gateway mobos have a different pinout than usual 20/24 pin mobos?
 
I can't find anything saying a new PSU will not work in that model. It should work, and you said it did intermittently. There is no reason it should have a problem.
 
I can't find anything saying a new PSU will not work in that model. It should work, and you said it did intermittently. There is no reason it should have a problem.

The odd thing is that I had to pull the CMOS battery out for it to start. It worked fine and I shut the PC off to see if it would start up. Nothing happens. I pop the CMOS out again, wait a few, and it works(not everytime mind you).
 
Well, the simplest answer being the most likely; That Antec 430 is faulty.

It sounds like it doesn't have enough power to power the Gateway where it can a low power HTPC.
 
Well, the simplest answer being the most likely; That Antec 430 is faulty.

It sounds like it doesn't have enough power to power the Gateway where it can a low power HTPC.

Well on the rare occasion I got the 430w to power up the Gateway it works flawlessly, but when I turn the PC off it won't boot back up. The HTPC is an old P4 3.ghz with three HDD's and one perephrial, and also powering a x1650 that's power consumption is 50w. I might swing down to Staples and buy a PSU and if the problem persists I'll just return it.
 
Back
Top