RAM Issue with DFI nF4Ultra-D

Fir3hawk

n00b
I just purchased the DFI nF4Ultra-D. I hooked it up but was having issues with the reformat... Decided my "no name" 400w 20pin w/ 24 converter power supply wasn't gettin it enough juice. So I ordered the Antec Sonata II w/ 450w Antec PSU.

Now it has reformatted and I am posting from it now... However, my computer will randomly lockup and won't play any games... Sometimes games will lockup at the main menu... sometimes it will open the splash screen then go away.

Anyways, I think its a RAM issue. Any suggustions? I read the nF4U RAM FAQ and tried some of that and it still isn't workin. I am going to take my RAM over to my brother and have him put it in his system and see if the RAM is working OK.... Computer locks up about 50% in memtest.

Any suggustions? Here's my RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820146900

I have it set at [email protected] in bios.... even tried 2.5-4-4-8 and stock bios settings.

My plan is to possibly try new ram and if not then I will RMA the motherboard.

link doesn't work. do you have any other rigs you can test out the ram in? have you tried bumping ram voltage up to 2.7v? is the ram getting hot while you use it? what slots are you using?

join the club, i think my dfi has 1 dead dimm, but your situation seems to be based more on other instabilities. is your cpu overclocked at all? there are many many issues that might need to be addressed.

if the link isn't working goto newegg.com and type "OCZ Premier Value" I have the 2x512 for about 80 bucks.

I took my RAM over to my brothers and we put it in I think bios detected it at 160mhz??!?1 but it ran FEAR single player demo fine and whatnot.

I've also tried runnin my computer with just one stick and no luck, same symptoms.

Try setting everything to Auto in the bios. I had some Value Select for a while and it wouldn't even boot. Then I did the Auto thing and it worked fine.

ya try auto, then maby try uping the volts a small bit, my ram wouldnt work worth s*it till i uped it to 2.8 then it worked fine

Also try dropping your multi and raising it to 200mhz. you never know....Thats what I did to get this G.SKILL in my sig to work. Hint Hint Bobstone when it comes.

Fir3hawk said:
if the link isn't working goto newegg.com and type "OCZ Premier Value" I have the 2x512 for about 80 bucks.
try answering my other questions? it's all basic troubleshooting at this point :p

God damn, OCZ Premier is what I have, it's supposed to run 2.5-3-3-7 according to SPD.
You're timings are probably too loose.

I ran this RAM in my DFI LanParty UT NF3 250gb at 2-3-3-10 24/7 with 2.5v and it worked fine.

Do you have all four power cables plugged into your board? There is the 24 pin, 4 pin, 4 pin molex, and a 4 pin mini molex. I forgot to plug in the two molex's for awhile when I first got my board... oh boy I had stability issues... :)

digitalx0 said:
Do you have all four power cables plugged into your board? There is the 24 pin, 4 pin, 4 pin molex, and a 4 pin mini molex. I forgot to plug in the two molex's for awhile when I first got my board... oh boy I had stability issues... :)
did you really? i actually get better clocks with the molex and floppy plug out ;)

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
but your running a pci mx400 graphics card. :p
I had a feeling that is why :)
I'll be running one of the most power hungry cards there is... x800GTO^2 unlocked and overclocked.

(cf)Eclipse said:
try answering my other questions? it's all basic troubleshooting at this point :p
no haven't tried upin voltage.... i tried slot 1 and slot 2... then had 512 in slot one.

Borgschulze said:
God damn, OCZ Premier is what I have, it's supposed to run 2.5-3-3-7 according to SPD.
You're timings are probably too loose.

I ran this RAM in my DFI LanParty UT NF3 250gb at 2-3-3-10 24/7 with 2.5v and it worked fine.
i tried 2.5-3-3-7 as well, but newegg said 3-3-3-8. :confused:

digitalx0 said:
yessir, 450w psu aswell

Fir3hawk said:
no haven't tried upin voltage.... i tried slot 1 and slot 2... then had 512 in slot one.
there's the problem. you gotta use 1+3 or 2+4 for two sticks (like colored slots ;))

(cf)Eclipse said:
there's the problem. you gotta use 1+3 or 2+4 for two sticks (like colored slots ;))
well that still doesn't explain it being unstable with only one stick... maybe ill try slots 2 and 4 then up the voltage... after that im going to probably order a gig of OCZ EL DDR400 and if that don't help im RMAin the mobo and maybe the vid card... I'll go with a MSI Neo4 or AS
US maybe.

Fir3hawk said:
It's the Antec Truepower 450 or w/e that comes w Antec SonataII

12v @32A?

There is no Truepower 450 watt, it would have to be a 430 watt or 480 watt to be a Truepower in the 400 watt range. You probably have the 450 watt Smartpower. There is a difference between them.

Have you tried running memtest on the RAM? If not, that should be your first step in trying to diagnose memory problems.

tried runnin memtest, would lockup ~40-50%

ordered OCZ EL GOLD DDR400 (gig)
ordered GA K8N Pro SLI
started RMA on DFI nF4 Ultra-D

not sure if i will risk my new RAM by tryin it in my DFI.... scared the DFI fried my ram but it could be my fault.

i just want to get my fucking gaming pc back up...

f this 800 mhz dell widescreen laptop.

Back