ram clock speed issue

audirs

Limp Gawd
hey, i got a pair of OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition ram sticks. they are 2 1 gig sticks. my mobo is an asus m2n-sli deluxe. i am having a problem hard coding the CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS in the bios. i looked on the ocz website, and it says the ram can run at 2.1v with an epp of 4-4-4-15 1T. after hard coding these, it hangs on boot up and i have to clear the bios jumper to get it to boot.

anyone know why i am having this problem. ocz site says mobo has to be mcp compatible for it to detect the epp settings, which it is, but runs at a stock 5-5-5-15-2T

thanks in advance

Disclamer: dont have that board.

If you hard code it in the bios, you override the sub timings and drive strength settings programmed into the EPP. there is a lot more in the EPP than meets the eye or can be manually set in the bios.

Try leaving all the timings on auto and just "enable SLI memory " or "enable EPP" however it is worded in the bios. The bios should then read the EPP profile programed on the SPD chip and set everything properly.

Hmm, just took a peek at your boards product and spec page on Asus.com. What makes you think the board supports EPP or "SLI ready" memory ? I do not see it.

Wow under advanced timings in the bios you have some serious stuff you can play with. You might be able to duplicate the settinging in the EPP with a little work. But I still cannot find any mention of that board being able to automatically read the EPP.

SPDtool is fun to see what is actually in the EPP.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=20349&highlight=spdtool
Memset is fun to see what actually gets set and what the critical sub-timings actually are.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92190

hmm i guess i was under the impression that if my board was MCP compatible it would detect the EPP settings. didnt see anything on OCZ website that said that said my board had to be EPP compatible (sorry still a bit new to this ram stuff.) here is what i read:

"OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready memory modules are programmed to boot at 800MHz DDR2 with supremely fast timings of 4-4-4 1T. Only motherboards equipped with the custom-designed BIOS, such as those designed for NVIDIA nForce SLI MCPs, can detect the optimized SPD profiles and ensure the memory functions under the best possible conditions."

and from what i read about the mobo it is MCP, or am i misinformed?

Back