RaidMax LP-6100E 500w - Got what it takes?

LazerWire

Limp Gawd
I have just pre-ordered a BFG 6800 Ultra OC.

I am currently running a RaidMax LP-6100E 500w PS, and would like to know that I'm covered as the 6800's power req's are concerned.

I know this isn't "The Best" power supply, but it has gotten very good reviews.

My rig is in my sig, and I don't overclock.

Opinions?

Thanx,
-LW

dandragonrage said:
Dump it for a real PSU.

Thats a rather simplistic statement.

This PS gets less than 3% variation on the +12v Rail (by all accounts I've read).

Do you have any reasoning behind your opinion or are you just posturing.

This is a legitimate question, which I had thought, would generate legitimate replies.

"Dump it for a real PSU." In my opinion, is NOT a legitimate reply, and is below the competence level of most posters here.

-LW

Id agree with that assessment, considering the question

closest I can find to an idependent review (that I trust)
of a similar PSU is the RAIDMAX 400 watt
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=270&PageID=9
and without other evidence would assume similar departures from the specs on this model as well
DC Voltage
AC Ripple
Input Voltage Line Regulation and Power Factor
Efficiency and Differential Temperature and Noise Levels

improvements could well have been made in the 500 watt, and the PSU tested above an anomaly, but trusting that.....

Is it likely acceptable? Probably

but actually addressing your question
you need to add up your rails, including the specs for the BFG 6800
and compare the amp distribution to what is listed on the PSU

in addition
the +3.3V and +5V rails are generally combined in the PSU
(Antec's True Power series is an exception for example)
but they are tested seperately, then again depending on how they where rated
that figure represents how much cuurent (expressed in amps) can be drawn from the rail before an unacceptable voltage sag, the trick being what is unacceptable,
a 1% variance? or more often when a fuse blows :p
(sort of the quality vs generic argument right there)

and finally most PSUs are tested at 25C, when your normal operating temperature is closer to 40C, and that can be as much as a 30% decrese in the current available
for instance the PCP&C in my rig is actually rated at 40C for 510 watts which is highly unusual, at 25C its a 600 watt

so basically you research reviews to determine quality manufacturers
and then add up your amp needs per rail (+3.3,+ 5.+12 being the important ones, the ATX spec and various components very rarely employs the negatives) and then guess :p

keeping in mind that when you add all the amps its the theoretical maximum draw for every single component, something that doesnt happen in real life, the closest you get is at startup, where the spinup of drives and other fans can be as much as 5 times the run time draw

so a nice calculator
takaman's PSU Calculator v.2004.04
now everything isnt included in that, but either you can guess by picking a comparitive component, or actually research its power requirement with the manufacturer

also potentially on interest with some strong opinions expressed
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=763547&highlight=ship
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=767023
but take those with a grain of salt, there are considerable variables you need to address
including what value you place on your components, and risks your willing to take
but especially with the 2nd link, the actual component configuration, and external factors like the utility and power conditiong employed

Back