RAID status "degraded" WTF?

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
11,433
2 .25G WD blacks in RAID 1 on the Intel controller of a Gigabyte X58 UD3

the RAID BIOS flashes past so fast...but I definitely saw degraded in yellow

I am not good with storage stuff, I need that mean old hippie...

what do I do?
 
Degraded generally means that a disk has failed or has otherwise become unavailable. RAID1 offers redundancy, which is why the storage pool is still usable.
 
You'll need to enter the RAID BIOS and figure out which drive failed. Then you will need to test it using the manufacturer's utility (with the drive connected to a standard SATA controller in IDE Mode). If the drive checks out, you put it back in your array and rebuild it (the working drive mirrors back onto the newly reinstalled drive).

This is all going to take a while to do, so be prepared to start it up and let it be for a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
 
That means 1 out of 2 of your hard drives has failed. Go to your BIOS setup, increase the time to display the RAID BIOS and enter the RAID Utility using the hotkey combination (usually Ctrl + I for intel RAID.)
 
power cable got knocked sideways

it came up as "rebuild" in yellow in the RAID BIOS splash

is it taking care of itself automatically or is there more I have to do?
 
Back
Top