Raid setup for TS-469 Pro?

Shadowarez

Gawd
Hi all just got a Sweet Deal on a Qnap TS-469 Pro, i have 4 6Tb Drives and i upgraded memory to the Max, i been reading up on how raid 5 is hot garbage for 4 bay units, i was wondering what other options is there for least 1 drive redundancy? it will be a temp solution till i can gather parts for a nice amd nas setup, i will have a External usb 3 8tb drive to back up to as well.

Not much wrong with RAID5 with that setup, though I prefer RAID10.

ok thank you soon as i get the drives in ill see if there is even an option for that, i dont mind losing 1 drive to parity/redundancy as ill havea 8tb external backing it up, aslo wondering if this is even possible, build the array in raid 0 copy data from the back up drive then use its volume management to convert raid to 5? as i was told it takes a crazy hit to write speed.

Not sure about converting RAIDs in-place. Even if possible, it would take longer than initially directly copying to RAID5. Write speed should theoretically be that of a single drive.

Last edited:
ok ill start it up in raid 5 mode its only real duty will be streaming my lib, the shield can do the transcodes if need be, but think all should play native,

Back