Raid disk data recovery

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Looking for a program I can recover data and plug my raid disks in to recover the data before I move the disks into the new NAS. Any suggestions, preferably non expensive or better yet...free? (Raid Card bit the dust)

Recuva, its free, opensource, works well for recovering data off of memory cards. I'm sure it probobly works well with hard drives too.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

I tested this software today with Vmware, OS XP Pro..

I deleted some files like simple text, doc, exe, zip, rar, msi, and empty the recycle bin.
It doesn't recover nothing back even with deep scan option. :eek: I only have one partition setup which is C: 10GB..anything i do wrong?

The "program" is get the spare raid card out of the drawer that's been sitting there for this specific purpose and plug the drives into that.

If you have not planned for this contingency then you need to obtain one. Otherwise you are pretty much screwed because the way raid cards allocate blocks amongst the disks is different for every make and model, unless you are just running raid 1.

It's possible that since the software is looking at a virtual harddisk instead of a real harddisk, that many of the tricks those softwares employ may not function....YMMV

I tested this software today with Vmware, OS XP Pro..

I deleted some files like simple text, doc, exe, zip, rar, msi, and empty the recycle bin.
It doesn't recover nothing back even with deep scan option. :eek: I only have one partition setup which is C: 10GB..anything i do wrong?

What were the disks in before? Many NAS use Linux mdraid, in which case you can just boot Linux and mount the RAID. Might also be possible to use the dmraid implementation in some fashion if you know what controller you're dealing with.

Back