RAID 0 expert wanted

Bad Rabbit

n00b
Hi Im a newbe here.
I had a laptop (SONY VAio) with 2 HDDs configured as one 500GB drive. Its a RAID0 configuration. My laptop crashed :mad: and i need the data from the 2 HDDs.

I bought a Silicon Image SiI SATARaid Controller (Sil3x12RAID drivers) for my desktop PC. It recognises the drives as one, but says it's not formatted.

In the menu of the RAID controller I have three options:
- create a new raid
- delete a raid
- recreate a mirror.

Can anyone give me a clue how to regain my date?

Thanks in advance

Bad Rabbit

You might want to specify exactly how your laptop crashed.
Agreed , AND we need the exact model of the laptop.

IDK if all Sony Vaio models are the same or if the data is still there but if you wanna try, we need the info.

Before you do anything, don't recreate the RAID on that card. Go to:

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

And download RAID Reconstructor. You can download it for free and see if it will recover the array before you buy it. It has saved many an a$$ over the years.
-Michael

Do both drives show up as available and unformatted? Hopefully it is just a mismatched controller in which RR will work.

As long as you reconnect the drives to a sata chipset of the same family as your sony laptop, you should be able to see your raid partition. If your sony laptop is intel based, it could possibly use one of the ICH9R mobile chipsets... just plug the drives into a desktop with an intel board that supports raid and you should be able to see it in windows. (just make sure you toggle the bios to raid mode instead of ide/ahci)

Right. There's a 99% chance it's one Intel RAID version or another.

yes, as long as your array isnt borked, you need to get it on the ICH of another computer, and you should be good. DO NOT TAMPER with the raid in any fashion. imo if it doesn't boot straight away to the array, you need to keep looking for the right config to hook it up to.
as they all say, need more info!

http://www.runtime.org/raid-recovery-windows.htm

I know someone already posted with this company's software, but I have had a great deal of success with this particular program: it will recreate any known RAID array via the software (i.e. you don't need a board with Nvidia RAID for example to access one originally of that type). It appears to be a different program from the other one. I have used it to recover lost array data...it may help you as well. In the meantime, don't do anything with either drive until you figure out exactly what to do!

the raid controller that he is using will be using a proprietary raid code. It will not be able to see the array for sure. Its like trying to speak a different language.
The laptop crashed, so barring anything to the array i think it is probably fine. just needs a like controller, i would not try any recovery software until i had connected it to a similar controller (Onboard raid) and verified that it is borked. I have heard positive things about that software linked as well, but you arent that far in the process yet :)
Until then, assume it is fine.
really need more info from the OP.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-AR51SU.
How the laptop crashed: Switched it on, it gave 3 beeps and that's it.
I have sent it for repair, but that would cost me a fortune (€ 850, without VAT).:eek:

Agreed , AND we need the exact model of the laptop.

IDK if all Sony Vaio models are the same or if the data is still there but if you wanna try, we need the info.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-AR51SU.
How the laptop crashed: Switched it on, it gave 3 beeps and that's it.
I have sent it for repair, but that would cost me a fortune (€ 850, without VAT).:eek:

Before you do anything, don't recreate the RAID on that card. Go to:

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

And download RAID Reconstructor. You can download it for free and see if it will recover the array before you buy it. It has saved many an a$$ over the years.
-Michael

Do both drives show up as available and unformatted? Hopefully it is just a mismatched controller in which RR will work.

They show up as one drive

you need to find either a motherboard or laptop with intel gear. find out the revision of ICH on that mobo on your lappy (ICH9, ICH10). then connect it to appropriate intel gear with the same controller.
Your Array should show up pretty as can be. if not, then step two.

It uses an ICH8 (likely the ICH8M or the ICH8EM mobile versions).
Any first generation Core2Duo motherboards that use the Intel 965 Express chipset would probably work for this.

-TLB

thanks TLB, i was being obviously lazy :)

find said gear and lets figure out the extent of the damage :)

you need to find either a motherboard or laptop with intel gear. find out the revision of ICH on that mobo on your lappy (ICH9, ICH10). then connect it to appropriate intel gear with the same controller.
Your Array should show up pretty as can be. if not, then step two.

It uses an ICH8 (likely the ICH8M or the ICH8EM mobile versions).
Any first generation Core2Duo motherboards that use the Intel 965 Express chipset would probably work for this.

-TLB

Thanks guys. I will look for one.
I'll get back to you when I've found one.

Bad Rabbit

Back