RAGE is still sucks, 3 months later. (Screenshots)

so idsoftware is doing stuff with rage still?

i hope they do the good texture release

One of the best games I played in 2011. Up there, almost, with The Witcher 2 and Arkham City. The only gripe I had with it, is that certain areas were not as explorable as they appeared i.e top of the buildings near the mayors office in Wellspring.

I've been pretty successful lately with following formula. 1) Dont over hype anything 2) Dont build up crazy wild expectations about anything 3) Wait at least three weeks after launch for patching/driver updates before purchasing 4) Go in with a neutral perspective, don't let others sway my opinion from the get go ;)

I don't see how anyone who's been a fan of id's other games can rag on this. Game has more character then quake/doom/wolf combined. Not to mention depth. The RAGE universe is nice, neat and "colorful". The shooting mechanics are nice and tight and there's a lot of diversity in what you can do. I like being able to shoot, melee, throw cool projectiles and change up ammo types all at once, makes combat interesting and helps it from becoming stale, IMO.

I'm excited for part two as well as the impending DOOM4 release, and to see how id tech5 advances.

LOL, horrible game fuck Carmack, sold out console trash. Epic 2.0. Not.

@OP Hope you get your problems resolved brother. I think my SSD really helped with the texture crawl. It was virtually non-existent and everything ran like butter. Just as I expected.

Glad someone else enjoyed it too. I'm a huge id fan, and this game screams id. So what if when you get close to some textures they're blurry, it's still a fun game. I enjoyed it, a lot.

I have a 5770 and never had an issue like that, perhaps you should try reinstalling your video drivers?

Glad someone else enjoyed it too. I'm a huge id fan, and this game screams id. So what if when you get close to some textures they're blurry, it's still a fun game. I enjoyed it, a lot.

Not only that but the diversity and all the detail in the textures is great. Nothing seems "recycled" so to speak. They look blurry in certain areas but usually never anything that's important. All of the textures on the rocks in the wasteland are great and alot of the rest can be down right gorgeous.

Every game ever created has shit textures somewhere.

new RAGE patch coming...

a new AMD Catalyst 12.1a preview driver is now available...word is this contains everything from the previous preview build as well as support for an upcoming RAGE patch

so it looks like id Software has been holding this back until AMD got their act together and fixed their broken drivers

Good. If I were Carmack, and RAGE played as smoothly as it did for me at launch or in their testing environments and the launch issues were caused by nvidia/amd drivers I would be fucking pissed too. In all of the speeches/interviews I read/watched leading up to the launch Carmack always toted the "fluidity", "smoothness" and "stable framerates" of the game were key points and those are all things I experienced in my play through. He admitted himself that it COULD of looked better had they not taken a Console first approach (also admitted it was one of his biggest regrets of the project) but I not think they anticipated it would take 6-7 years to build so they had to move forward and focus on optimizing as there was no way they could scrap what they already had.

Another thing he always touched on was stream lining their development process, during RAGE's development, making things more efficient so they did not run into the same 5-7 year development cycle with their next game. I think we'll be seeing DOOM4 much sooner than we all think.

Carmack is an engineer and a genius and while not impressive as many had hoped, RAGE is definitely unique and a large stepping stone of AMAZING things to come

This is why I buy games for consoles if there are reports of it being broken on PC.

Good thing I never had to deal with any of this.

so idsoftware is doing stuff with rage still?

i hope they do the good texture release

Hmm, how many GB are you willing to download for new textures?

Consider thaqt the current crap quality ones are around 20GB of the 25GB download to be on the conservative side, and that texture size increases ^2?

Good. If I were Carmack, and RAGE played as smoothly as it did for me at launch or in their testing environments and the launch issues were caused by nvidia/amd drivers I would be fucking pissed too. In all of the speeches/interviews I read/watched leading up to the launch Carmack always toted the "fluidity", "smoothness" and "stable framerates" of the game were key points and those are all things I experienced in my play through. He admitted himself that it COULD of looked better had they not taken a Console first approach (also admitted it was one of his biggest regrets of the project) but I not think they anticipated it would take 6-7 years to build so they had to move forward and focus on optimizing as there was no way they could scrap what they already had.

Another thing he always touched on was stream lining their development process, during RAGE's development, making things more efficient so they did not run into the same 5-7 year development cycle with their next game. I think we'll be seeing DOOM4 much sooner than we all think.

Carmack is an engineer and a genius and while not impressive as many had hoped, RAGE is definitely unique and a large stepping stone of AMAZING things to come

I agree...but as far as Carmack saying that it could have looked better if not for the console-first approach, I think he could still make it look better if he wanted to with a high-res texture pack etc but chooses not to...yes it will take up a lot of space etc but there are tons of gamers with huge hard drives so space should not be a problem

he doesn't need to completely rewrite the game to make it look better on the PC...there are subtle improvements he can make with textures, lighting etc...Carmack is a genius so he should do something to appease PC gamers

EDIT: the sucky thing about Carmark holding the patch back was that he screwed Nvidia owners who might have benefited from the patch sooner just to appease ATI...the patch has been available for weeks now yet they purposely held it back to give ATI engineers more time to fix their drivers

Last edited:
Still waiting for that full RPG mod for this game.... If it's half like Borderlands, I'll be happy.

We're certain this isn't an AMD driver issue?

considering that if you would have read the thread, you would know that a dude running a 4890 has no issues.....so I guess driver issues are not to blame here.

OP

Carmack outright said that he was concentrating on consoles during the whole time he made this game. What did you expect? some awsome quake 3 type of game that actually worked? :p Carmack hasn't programmed/lead a decent PC game development team for YEARS and YEARS and it shows...

So question is, who you gonna believe? The idiot (Carmack) that focuses on console and blames ATi for his own ineptness.

or

Common sense that tells you that said idiot made his own mess?

Last edited:
The AMD Catalyst™ 12.1a Preview driver includes all of the features found in AMD Catalyst™ 12.1 Preview.

Additional changes for upcoming update of Rage

Resolves some new texture corruption issues introduced by the latest version of the game
Improved performance ~5%
Smoother game play and reduces multicore sync points
Fixed mapbuffer failures when switching maps on 32-bit systems.
Fixed a game crash when switching maps back and forth on 32 and 64bit systems

considering that if you would have read the thread, you would know that a dude running a 4890 has no issues.....so I guess driver issues are not to blame here.
In the universe I live in, multiple driver versions exist at any given time.

in the universe I live in, common sense rules the day and when some idiot states that he is specifically concentrating on consoles and the PC version of the game comes out loaded with bugs, I know NOT to blame a video card maker's drivers....especially when there are working sets of drivers readidly available.....jus' sayin'

ID can say/blame whoever they want but the longer they wait to release a FINISHED patch the more gamers are going to be pissed....fuck you ID

In the universe you live in, it seems like Rage is this really awesome game that you just have to defend tooth and nail and make excuses for in every Rage related thread that you see.

I liked Rage. I played it at release on an AMD card and had no issues. Only problem was no Crossfire.
I think the game was fun, not OMG EPIC, but fun to play.

I am disappointed it's taken AMD what 4 months to develop drivers?

Anyway, it looks to me like the OPs problem is individual, not epidemic to the game.

I really liked it too, only thing I hated was the ending. Usually in an ID game you know when its going to end, because there's a big ass boss for you to kill, not push a couple buttons.

Hmm, how many GB are you willing to download for new textures?

Consider thaqt the current crap quality ones are around 20GB of the 25GB download to be on the conservative side, and that texture size increases ^2?

2tb max. those are my biggest hdd.

and i can download 20 gb quite easily .

when I enabled "large textures" (on a ATI 6950 2G). The only way I could fix it with "large textures" was running the game in XP x64 (some driver issue in 32 bit). The game itself is so bad, it is almost a farce (only paid $15). As a graphics demo, the textures "up close" look like garbage which is amazing since the game takes like 20 Gigs of disk space.

OMG maby you sould just reinstall the game i hab the same probleme with fable3

Layoffs at id Software

Article here

Sucks however it isn't a surprise. I thought Rage was pretty good (played on a console), but the whole thing felt underwhelming in some ways. Looks like a classic case of simply trying too hard. I am scared to think about how much time and effort went into the mediocre driving for example.

I would have been happier with Doom 4 or another Quake game like the first one, where is was just demons, military complexes, collecting keys, and shooting the hell out of everything.

Sucks however it isn't a surprise. I thought Rage was pretty good (played on a console), but the whole thing felt underwhelming in some ways. Looks like a classic case of simply trying too hard. I am scared to think about how much time and effort went into the mediocre driving for example.

I would have been happier with Doom 4 or another Quake game like the first one, where is was just demons, military complexes, collecting keys, and shooting the hell out of everything.

I agree on Rage, was good, could have been so much more. Looking forward to Doom 4 but hoping it's going to be much better than Rage.

Rage was a huge change of direction for id...no darkened corridors for 90% of the game, huge outdoor areas, drivable vehicles and Daylight!...don't know if it would fit for a Doom game but I'm excited about future new games using this tech

Despite a few glowing texture quality issues, I'm satisfied with the game overall. The vehicles are fun to operate, missions are fairly challenging and there is a lot more character interaction than I've seen in other somewhat similar games such as Borderlands or Fallout 3 / New Vegas. Hopefully id will release the patch soon to fix the graphical issues but with the recent lay-offs it gives me doubt whether they will.

Rage was a huge change of direction for id...no darkened corridors for 90% of the game, huge outdoor areas, drivable vehicles and Daylight!...don't know if it would fit for a Doom game but I'm excited about future new games using this tech

Not to kill your boner, but Bethesda has exclusive rights to the engine, iirc....

Sorry to hear man. I've got 2x 6950s and the game runs like pure butter for me now with actual CFX scaling. 2048x1152, vsync + triple buffering, everything maxed with 60fps locked. Unfortunately I finished the game twice in its broken state and don't really want to play it anymore.

At launch I had to disable 1 card and use a custom .cfg to even play the game and it still didn't run as well as it should have.

Lucky bastard. 2x 6870s here, and i'm still missing about 1/4 the textures, no matter what I do.

edit: Not talking popin- these are black textures where a real texture is supposed to be. latest WHQL drivers, latest CAP, one card or two, Cat AI at max.

I think I heard/read somewhere that the engine is for inhouse games only and they won't license it out...or I am completely wrong! :p

I suppose it's not a big deal since id tech 4 was not a heavily licensed game engine. I haven't heard anything about id tech 5 being an in-house engine for Bethesda only, but I have noticed that the id website no longer has its software technology licensing site.

Right now it looks like the Unreal engine and Source engine are the two most popular engines.

so is it likely that the patch will ever come out? I am a few hours into this game and want to play it, but the textures in indoor areas look pretty horrible. I'd prefer to wait if there is a pending fix.

Whos beaten this game? Im on the final mission, Gates of Capital Prime. Ive looked at youtube videos, and read walkthroughs on how to get there. Im supposed to go to the garage and driver there. But it wont let me in the garage. Ive talked to Captain Marshall, and got the pulse cannon. The garage has a red X when I get next to it, and wont let me in. So how am I supposed to get there via vehicle if I cant get into the garage... ?

Just played Rage on the xbox, SOOOO disappointed, which is surprising seeing how I didn't even expect much from it. The story was laughable with the only thing you'd somewhat call a character being that dude voiced by John Goodman (the fact that I can't remember the character's name just like a week after playing the game speaks volumes). The shooting was alright but got way too repetitive after a while (shoot a bunch of little dudes, big dude shows up so shoot him, shoot more little dudes, repeat). And the much lauded graphics failed to impress me. Everything felt way too static and bland and there was popin galore (possibly because I played it on xbox but still won't win and points from me). I've been telling people for a while John Carmack is a hack who just hit it big once (see George Lucas), finally people are starting to come to my side.

Back