Rage 2 Won't Have Multiplayer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Avalanche Studios and id Software have revealed that Rage 2 is strictly a single-player experience: there won’t be any multiplayer modes, nor will there be modding—at launch, at least (“the door is open to add it later”).

Since Rage 2 was announced, interested players have hoped that the sequel would take a page from its post-apocalyptic brethren, Borderlands, and offer co-op play. Well, we have some bad news for those folks. During our cover trip we got the word from developers Avalanche Studios and id Software: There are no plans for a multiplayer component of any kind.

It looks like Mad Max, it feels like mad max. Good.

I'm OK with no MP, but it kind of surprises me in the modern climate and with all the crazy stuff you can do in game. Figure they would of had a BR with cosmetics etc.

I'm happy they are putting effort into the campaign to get it right. I enjoyed Rage 1 though.

id forgot how to make good games a long time ago; let's just hope this is worth playing.

No multiplayer=-$10 on whay I'm willing to pay, not co-op is -$20, so at ~10-20 bux, this might not suck.

Release in 2019, buy in 2020 sounds good, unless the price falls faster than that.

Based on their recent games, it may be a $10 game by spring...

This is one of those IPs that's just bland enough that it NEEDS co-op. Rage 1 had good graphics, good gunplay, but fell right on it's ass otherwise as just too overwhelmingly boring. I don't expect 2 to be any better. And that kind of game requires a friend or two to keep things going.

No multiplayer? or is he describing how many people will be playing at launch!!!!!...I'll just show myself out now.

So you're making a Mad Max, Borderlands type shoot'em up fps game with no multiplayer or preferrably cooperative? Good luck with that, I hope the gameplay and story are compelling.

I'm quite alright with this. Personal preference, I have always preferred single player games. No annoying spoiled children to play with. Plus I can save and walk away at any time. This has become even more important since I had a kid of my own.

Like many, I'm hoping this isn't trash like the first one. Besides the technical problems it had, the gameplay wasn't very interesting. It got old very fast. The storyline..... Lets not lie to ourselves here. What storyline?? The end was total crap. Make aa good single player experience and I will buy it.

Good. Rage 1 wasn't as bad as people made it out too.

Agreed. I know it was buggy as hell and downright unplayable when it first released but after they fixed it, it's actually pretty fun. I bought it on sale a year or two after it released and really enjoyed it.

Will definitely be buying a copy of this one as well if for no other reason than to just support a single player game meant for single players. Those are pretty rare these days.

i love a good single player game... this and the new far cry are gonna be good!

Good. Rage 1 wasn't as bad as people made it out too.

Oh yes it was. I bought Doom for $10, as I will not be buying id games at full price anymore. It was that bad. I had bought all id games on day one, for full price before that. Fuck Willets and what he did to id, Carmack is equally to blame for this and I am pleased he is gone.

I was so impressed by what Bethesda did to save id that I may buy Eternal full price.

Last edited:
Actually playing the first one now on new laptop that plays it great unlike my sli rig that is a stuttering tearing mess.

I actually like it and hope the new one doesn't have the rippin' and the tearin' on release like the first.

I don't really care that it isn't multiplayer. I just hope it provides more than 20 hours of gameplay.

Looks like theres no environmental physics to interact with. Mainly just interactions with enemies. Nothing new ill pass

So you're making a Mad Max, Borderlands type shoot'em up fps game with no multiplayer or preferrably cooperative? Good luck with that, I hope the gameplay and story are compelling.

Exactly. Where Borderlands truly excelled at was the co-op experience. The game feels largely empty without someone else.

What I see is "a game you can buy and almost certainly enjoy and not be harassed for loot boxes".

Back