Rafale Fighter Pilot Plays Ace Combat 7

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In case you missed the launch last week, Ace Combat 7 is out on PC now. To celebrate the occasion, Bandai Namco gave a real Dassault Rafale pilot an opportunity to play the game. Ace Combat 7 is by no means an accurate flight sim, as the turns alone would turn real humans into jelly, but Pierre-Henri Chuet still came away with many positive impressions.

Check out the video here.

We previously reported that Ace Combat 7 wouldn't support ultrawide resolutions when it came out. That issue seemed to be a deal-breaker for some, but fortunately, modders managed to fix the issue hours after release.

Aside from a few of sticks, that's correct.

Remapping others might be possible, but you'd have to do some digging.
There is no remapping in the game at all, it doesn't even recognize other controllers. You can't even remap the keyboard controls it's that bad.

There's only support for 4 sticks. That's impressively bad for an air combat game.

Reactions: M76
like this
There is no remapping in the game at all, it doesn't even recognize other controllers. You can't even remap the keyboard controls it's that bad.

Only an idiot would use a keyboard for this game. Yeah it is nice to have the option to remap the keys but its a moot point, as its like steering a car with your feet. Utterly idiotic.

There's only support for 4 sticks. That's impressively bad for an air combat game.

The game isn't detailed enough for proper HOTAS control anyways. You'll be at a big disadvantage. If you want a flight sim try DCS.

Edit: The one thing that was annoying was the pop in for trees/buildings but it is a quick .ini fix.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/502500/discussions/0/1777135944140331772/

On my PC I can't see an FPS impact, but I must be getting ~80 or so frame rates as is at 1440P. Maybe it is an issue on low end PCs but works flawlessly on mine.

Example of a city with the draw distance mod:

20190206003948_1.jpg

If there was a performance impact I cannot tell. It is safe to say if you have a semi modern PC you'll be able to max this game out at 1440P easily.

Adding an option for the draw distance in the main menu & adding official ultra wide screen support shouldn't be hard and are the only actual complaints I'd have with this game from a technical perspective. Otherwise I've found this game to be far more stable and less buggy than 90% of all PC games I've played in years. Very commendable for Project Aces.

Last edited:
Only an idiot would use a keyboard for this game. Yeah it is nice to have the option to remap the keys but its a moot point, as its like steering a car with your feet. Utterly idiotic.
Who the hell wants to play with KB? Are you trying to make me mad? I wanted to play with my joystick. But it is impossible. What's moot is defending a game that lacks a basic feature that everyone takes for granted on PC. The lack of the ability to remap controls in the game means you can't use any flight controllers apart from the handful of devices that they hardwired in the mapping for. It's lazy, it's shitty, and it's absolutely unacceptable by my standards (and many other people's judging by the user reviews)

It's completely irrelevant that the game is not buggy, if it's almost completely unplayable unless you buy a specific expensive flight controller for it, that you wouldn't need for anything else. It's especially infuriating if you already have one that the game refuses to recognize.

Who the hell wants to play with KB? Are you trying to make me mad? I wanted to play with my joystick. But it is impossible. What's moot is defending a game that lacks a basic feature that everyone takes for granted on PC. The lack of the ability to remap controls in the game means you can't use any flight controllers apart from the handful of devices that they hardwired in the mapping for. It's lazy, it's shitty, and it's absolutely unacceptable by my standards (and many other people's judging by the user reviews)

It's completely irrelevant that the game is not buggy, if it's almost completely unplayable unless you buy a specific expensive flight controller for it, that you won't need for anything else.

Talk about an over reaction. Do you get into fist fights if someone brushes your shoulder?!

I was referring to this bit right here:

You can't even remap the keyboard controls it's that bad.

It sucks but is largely irrelevant if you cared about playing the game.

And you're talking out of your ass by saying the game is "almost completely unplayable". It works flawlessly with the intended devices. I paid $28 for my Xbox controller many years ago and it works just fine. That is the ideal device that you'll end up playing if you actually wanted to play the game and not whine on the internet to partake in outrage culture. Using my X52 Pro would be neat, I'd give it a try for 5 minutes before going back to the superior device for this genre of game (a controller). What is next, people will complain they can't use their racing wheel? LOL. People who are complaining are too stupid and or lazy to watch the videos and realize what kind of a game they're buying. Its a shortcoming, but such a minor one that it isn't worthy of noting for anyone who intended on actually playing the game and/or can use logic & reason. Most AAA games (like Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon Wildlands, pretty much any Ubi game) have non-fuctional controls that can't be fixed even though they allow remapping which is far more problematic than not supporting a device you won't use anyways.

If you want a flight sim where using a HOTAS is actually a benefit and not a deterrent, look here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

Talk about an over reaction. Do you get into fist fights if someone brushes your shoulder?!
Nice try at poisoning the well, don't change the subject.
I was referring to this bit right here:

It sucks but is largely irrelevant if you cared about playing the game.

And you're talking out of your ass by saying the game is "almost completely unplayable". It works flawlessly with the intended devices. I paid $28 for my Xbox controller many years ago and it works just fine. That is the ideal device that you'll end up playing if you actually wanted to play the game and not whine on the internet to partake in outrage culture. Using my X52 Pro would be neat, I'd give it a try for 5 minutes before going back to the superior device for this genre of game (a controller). What is next, people will complain they can't use their racing wheel? LOL. People who are complaining are too stupid and or lazy to watch the videos and realize what kind of a game they're buying. Its a shortcoming, but such a minor one that it isn't worthy of noting for anyone who intended on actually playing the game and/or can use logic & reason. Most AAA games (like Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon Wildlands, pretty much any Ubi game) have non-fuctional controls that can't be fixed even though they allow remapping which is far more problematic than not supporting a device you won't use anyways.

If you want a flight sim where using a HOTAS is actually a benefit and not a deterrent, look here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/
Please, why don't you quote me out of context, and deliberately misconstrue my meaning? oh wait you just did that !

And I tried playing with a controller, and it sucked. I gave up after three missions of frustration. Yeah you declaring it's irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant, and the user reviews tells me I'm not the odd one out as you're trying to paint me.

You're so wrong that' I'm embarrassed for you. This is exactly the game I wanted, in fact I've been looking for such a game for months / years even. Case in point I started a thread about it in the gaming section, where I said I'm looking for a game like this.

Last edited:
Nice try at poisoning the well, don't change the subject.

You're not making any sense. You literally posted this:

I was just pointing out how irrelevant that is. I'm not even sure why you got offended.

Oh why don't you quote me out of context, and deliberately misconstrue my meaning? oh wait you just did that !

Its what you wrote, word per word. Perhaps

And I tried playing with a controller, and it sucked. I gave up after three missions of frustration.

Translation - you sucked. The game is absolutely easy, especially with a controller. Either you're absolutely terrible at any game with three dimensional movement or you're utterly terrible with controllers. I can't imagine you were sincerely frustrated. The learning curve is about 30 minutes at best if you've never played a similar game before. If you're getting frustrated using a controller a HOTAS wouldn't have helped you. It would make some sections later in the game much harder.

Yeah you declaring it's irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant, and the user reviews tells me I'm not the odd one out as you're trying to paint me.

Oh, it is. You're just utterly terrible at the game. Which is fine, it isn't for everyone. But your previous statement illustrates the issue is with you. User reviews are utterly worthless and not much more useful for a chuckle.

You're so wrong that' I'm embarrassed for you. This is exactly the game I wanted, in fact I've been looking for such a game for months / years even. Just look up the thread I started about it in the gaming section.

Maybe you wanted it but it isn't for you. You're blowing tiny issues out of the water. A controller is the ideal input device if you want to play the game. Everything else is just a neat extra that isn't necessary. Saying the game is unplayable is an outright lie.

I'm wondering, are you frustrated because you're crashing or because you're being shot down? If you're crashing its probably because you don't know how to move in a three dimensional environment. If you want to go down what are you doing with the stick?

I wonder how much they paid this guy to boast about their game? ha

Maybe he just likes the game as much as I do. It's a great game. It sucks about the widescreen implementation, and unfortunately it doesn't work with a lot of HOTAS. But it's a Playstation born flight arcade game that turns you into Fighter Pilot Neo with a ridiculous story. People have their panties in a wad over the flight sim version of Quake because their $500 Thrustmaster Warthog setup doesn't work with it out of the box. Get a fucking grip.

Maybe he just likes the game as much as I do. It's a great game. It sucks about the widescreen implementation, and unfortunately it doesn't work with a lot of HOTAS. But it's a Playstation born flight arcade game that turns you into Fighter Pilot Neo with a ridiculous story. People have their panties in a wad over the flight sim version of Quake because their $500 Thrustmaster Warthog setup doesn't work with it out of the box. Get a fucking grip.

I mean I am kinda sad that I can't use my hotas setup with it so I just won't buy it. Pretty simple for me at least. If they patch and add that feature, I will likely bite. Likely they will add support at some point just because it would have a good chance at a short term ROI for those that are waiting for it.

Good combat sims are hard to come by nowadays so the few of us that enjoy those get excited when we see something like this, even though its aim is to be arcadey it still can be a fun thing to play with a good flight setup.

I mean I am kinda sad that I can't use my hotas setup with it so I just won't buy it. Pretty simple for me at least. If they patch and add that feature, I will likely bite. Likely they will add support at some point just because it would have a good chance at a short term ROI for those that are waiting for it.

Good combat sims are hard to come by nowadays so the few of us that enjoy those get excited when we see something like this, even though its aim is to be arcadey it still can be a fun thing to play with a good flight setup.

Only comment I have for you on this is that this is anything but a good combat sim. It's Robotech but with real world fighter plane models.

Only comment I have for you on this is that this is anything but a good combat sim. It's Robotech but with real world fighter plane models.

As from what I saw from the vids, but still it looked fun. I just don't have much fun flying with my thumbs is all.

I say that because I have played the previous ones and they felt so arcade and unreal. Assuming this one is no different. (Putting my foot back in my mouth)

Gonna stick to Elite dangerous for now.

I wonder how much they paid this guy to boast about their game? ha

No but I don't mind mentioning how over blown complaints are. If no keyboard remapping is that big of a deal for this game, practically every other AAA game would also be unfit to be sold. Because almost every other game I've played the past ~8 years has equal or worse issues. So it is an issue, but nothing game breaking since the peripheral in question won't be used anyways. And to pretend the game is "unplayable" because you can't use a HOTAS is outright bullshit.

I'd like a good Macross game. Yes, I played Robotech Battlecry and it was okay for what it was. Also there are at least a dozen references to previous Ace Combats and even one for Macross Plus (the opening cutscene).

Also fairly unrelated, but I ran FRAPS to see what frame rates I was getting. Was amazed to see them range from 120-150. Not sure how accurate FRAPS is for modern games though. Would really like to see this benchmarked. Shows that when the devs are competent, UE4 can provide some amazing results.

Last edited:
Ace Combat 7 is by no means an accurate flight sim, as the turns alone would turn real humans into jelly...

This got me thinking. All other things equal, would a pilot who can withstand more g's for longer have a much greater tactical advantage in a dogfight? Is the difference very noticeable? More than a battle of wit, but also a battle of grit?

This got me thinking. All other things equal, would a pilot who can withstand more g's for longer have a much greater tactical advantage in a dogfight? Is the difference very noticeable? More than a battle of wit, but also a battle of grit?

Physical conditioning, especially your lower body (as flexing and holding your thighs during high-G turns is a tactic to prevent blood from draining too fast from your head) is a very big part of being a fighter pilot. In fact, before you even go into a fighter jet, they stick you into a centrifuge to test if you are even capable of withstanding 9+ Gs. If you can't, well then you're probably going to be flying cargo planes.

Back