RadioShack Says Company May File for Bankruptcy

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Alas, poor RadioShack, we knew ye well. It’s been coming for the past ten quarters and is not looking good for the venerable home to electronic enthusiasts and hobbyists, dating all the way back to its heyday the 60’s and 70's. Unable to keep pace with the more trendy companies like Best Buy, RadioShack is now facing bankruptcy protection.

I don't think that the chances are great that RadioShack survives, Tawil said, adding that the company's credit default swaps were trading higher, pointing to market expectations of a near-term debt default.

They've been merely another "ME TOO!" PC and cellphone store for a decade. About time to take them out back to pasture.

weird that best buy is listed as trendy when they have been struggling the last few years as well as things move to online.

i got my computer hobby (and to some extent my career) started due to Radio Shack. I am a little divided here. I haven't shopped at a RS for near a decade, but I bought my 1st computer from there: "Tandy Color Computer 3". (it had a whopping 128K of RAM! I eventually bought an external 5.25 inch drive for it. Prior to that, I used a cassette recorder for saving files/data)
Sigh... I guess eventually all things must pass.

Oh well, better management might have made a difference...

The couple times I've gone there in the last few years they've never had what I needed.

The few stores they have around here don't stock much of the stuff that first drew me to their stores. IC's, switches, resistors, capacitors, LED"s and bulbs. The stuff hobbyists want to build electronics projects. Now it's all the same stuff you can buy at Future Shop or Staples etc. It's just more expensive at RS so I'm not surprised they are going out of business.

I can't wait for this clearance sale to take place. Then maybe I can get things at the regular price you would from everywhere else at radioshack for a few days.

They sold junk in my opinion. Just crap you wouldn't normally buy. Not saying they didn't have decent stuff, but most of it was just crap. Anyone remember the Olympus gear they used to push?

there were a few around me that were good stores. they had the normal electronic crap section for normal people and in the back you had the real electronics section. not just a couple drawers of stuff, but shelves and shelves of components. i used to go there with my dad and be bored as shit until i realized what could be done with all that. then there were a couple others near by that were nothing more than a mall kiosk with crappy rc cars and phone cases.

Oh well, better management might have made a difference...

A small difference.....maybe. There are just certain long term inevitabilities, and the failure of Radio Shack was one of them. Even in hindsight, what could have been done to salvage it? My best ideas would have only prolonged the agony.

They sold junk in my opinion. Just crap you wouldn't normally buy. Not saying they didn't have decent stuff, but most of it was just crap. Anyone remember the Olympus gear they used to push?

Optimus?

They used to be the go-to place for electronics and cool gadgets. But, like a lot of other places I see today, they didn't adapt well to the changing marketplace. Sad to see them go, but you could see it a decade ago that they were going to shit. They became a glorified cell phone store...

Every time I hear the name Radio Shack these days I think of the Comcast rep not closing out the account for the guy over the phone.

Can I have batteries please? Response: How would you like a new cell phone and some services.

A small difference.....maybe. There are just certain long term inevitabilities, and the failure of Radio Shack was one of them. Even in hindsight, what could have been done to salvage it? My best ideas would have only prolonged the agony.

To not have neglected their hobbiest side. Of course they couldn't support the same number of stores. You can find what you wanted online easier. Radioshack's response was to move away even faster. Problem is even is you can't beat online by price, there's always a last minute need for that diode or resistor and people will overpay to have it today. So there was some market there just not as big as before. And if you can't beat them join them, they should have evolved into an online store with a smaller and better B&M presence.

If they cared they would have been the first and main landing point for Raspberry Pi's. Did anyone interested in those things even consider them as a source?

The few stores they have around here don't stock much of the stuff that first drew me to their stores. IC's, switches, resistors, capacitors, LED"s and bulbs. The stuff hobbyists want to build electronics projects. Now it's all the same stuff you can buy at Future Shop or Staples etc. It's just more expensive at RS so I'm not surprised they are going out of business.

This.

I went there looking for caps to fix a motherboard and they were expensive and didn't have the ones I needed. The selection was VERY small.
Ebay to the rescue. Like others, back in the day they rocked, but there is nothing special about them and hasn't been for a long while.

T there's always a last minute need for that diode or resistor and people will overpay to have it today.

If they cared they would have been the first and main landing point for Raspberry Pi's. Did anyone interested in those things even consider them as a source?

totally this, they finally fail just as the maker revolution is really getting going, if I was a shareholder I would have the torches and pitchforks out.

This.

I went there looking for caps to fix a motherboard and they were expensive and didn't have the ones I needed. The selection was VERY small.
Ebay to the rescue. Like others, back in the day they rocked, but there is nothing special about them and hasn't been for a long while.

Pretty much. I think they would have been better off downsizing the amount of stores, dropping the cellphone business, and expanding on their niche - hobbyists electronics. Rebrand as the MakersShack or something. They carry a lot of the Make: arduino kits.

If they didn't saturate the market with stores, it could work. People working on projects would drive a few extra miles to get the part today (if priced right).

damn I been to Best Buy 6 times this year. Radio Shack..... I havent step foot in one since 2008-9 :(

About once every other year I go to Radio Shack for an electronic part they store in one of those bins that I need now and can't wait for Amazon. I appreciate them for that, but it seems once every other year doesn't keep a B&M in business.

If they didn't saturate the market with stores, it could work. People working on projects would drive a few extra miles to get the part today (if priced right).

It is a double edged sword. You either have to move volume, or make margin, preferably both, but in this case your volume is going to be really small. If you limit your stores to population centers, "hobbyists" will have to travel farther to get parts, and right there is problem one. How many hobbyists have to make an emergency trip to Radio Shack vs waiting 2 days for a shipment from Mouser or Digikey? A few, sure Now your gross profit/customer may look good, but that is a hell of a small number of customers.

If you reduce the number of stores, you cut the accompanying expenses, but lose potential customers. It is just damned hard to compete, and about impossible to expect any sort of NET profit after all is said and done.

A few years ago I was the recap king. Motherboards, TVs, monitors, and DVD players made me some money. Too bad my largest semi local supplier Altex often didn't have the correct parts, and when they did, aye me culo. It is just simpler, and cheaper, to order from Digikey, buy more than you need (still cheaper than local prices) and go from there.

I miss the old days. I grew up in a town of ~6K people, and had a Radio shack in the local pharmacy for years (thumbs up for the 150-in-1 electronics kit). Wonderful for a kid who was into Heathkit projects, breadboards, and home built projects. Didn't have the internet, and instant gratification back in the 70s either. Radio Shack did have 8 track tapes, lots and lots of 8 tracks.......and CB radios

Catch you on the flip flop. We got us a convoy................................

It is a double edged sword. You either have to move volume, or make margin, preferably both, but in this case your volume is going to be really small. If you limit your stores to population centers, "hobbyists" will have to travel farther to get parts, and right there is problem one. How many hobbyists have to make an emergency trip to Radio Shack vs waiting 2 days for a shipment from Mouser or Digikey? A few, sure Now your gross profit/customer may look good, but that is a hell of a small number of customers.

If you reduce the number of stores, you cut the accompanying expenses, but lose potential customers. It is just damned hard to compete, and about impossible to expect any sort of NET profit after all is said and done.

A few years ago I was the recap king. Motherboards, TVs, monitors, and DVD players made me some money. Too bad my largest semi local supplier Altex often didn't have the correct parts, and when they did, aye me culo. It is just simpler, and cheaper, to order from Digikey, buy more than you need (still cheaper than local prices) and go from there.

I miss the old days. I grew up in a town of ~6K people, and had a Radio shack in the local pharmacy for years (thumbs up for the 150-in-1 electronics kit). Wonderful for a kid who was into Heathkit projects, breadboards, and home built projects. Didn't have the internet, and instant gratification back in the 70s either. Radio Shack did have 8 track tapes, lots and lots of 8 tracks.......and CB radios

HAHAHA!:p

All true. It's not an easy fix.

I was kinda thinking on the scale of those Make workshop membership places. Those are sparse and in known hobbyist areas.

Truthfully, you could condense the hobbyist portion of RS into a vending machine with a touchscreen.

I've had a few projects where I've ran to RS to get a fee overpriced caps because I needed them now. Compared with buying the less expensive and better component on mouser.

My biggest issue with Mouser is the shipping. You order a few caps which could easily go 1st class in an envelope for $1.50, yet they ship it in a box for $5. It's laughable to receive.

The last time I went into a Radio Shack, I had a cellphone plan pushed on me not ten seconds after I walked in. I asked the employee where the LEDs were, he showed me a flashlight. He asked about my cellphone again. I went over to where the components used to be... nothing. Just stereo boomboxes and remote control toys. I went to the register to see if they could special order anything, was told no, but there's lots of good cellphone deals. Left. This isn't Radio Shack anymore.

About once every other year I go to Radio Shack for an electronic part they store in one of those bins that I need now and can't wait for Amazon. I appreciate them for that, but it seems once every other year doesn't keep a B&M in business.
Anyone know how many nationwide electronics stores will be left in our country? Any? Best Buy et al are not electronics stores, they're appliance stores which include electronic appliances.

Anyone know how many nationwide electronics stores will be left in our country? Any? Best Buy et al are not electronics stores, they're appliance stores which include electronic appliances.

I think Fry's Electronics? I haven't been there in AGES. Why drive when I can just click and order!

Until the Amazon drones arrive, it means a days-long delay which isn't always acceptable.

If Fry's has to capital to buy and/or save RS it sure would be nice imo.

Anyone remember the Olympus gear they used to push?

Before or after the re-branding from Pioneer to RCA.

Had the 50+1 CD changer and a dual tape deck made by Pioneer.
Don't recall who made my two VCRs I had for copying my anime collection 95-00. Ah... 4 head w/ Hi-Fi stereo, one was a model 60 while the other was a 61 w/ AI commercial advance which after recording go back and marks the commercials for me so I wouldn't have to press the one minute advance button on the remote...

Aaahh...Those were the days...:D

It's really a bummer. The nearest one carries a pretty large selection of Arduino products which I am always tempted to buy something and try and on the other side are the usual components section. One guy that works there is an electronic hobbyist too.

If this store closes I'll be stuck having to wait a few days to get things shipped to me as the nearest Frys is almost an hour away and the help there is no better than the help you get at Best Buy.

I have some of there headphones from the late 70's and amps that were passed down to me still.

I have a RS less than a mile away for more than 15 years and I have grown quite fond of having it around. I can pop in for a flash drive here, router there and the occasional HDMI or audio cable. Probably would not drive past a Best Buy or Staples to go to one but it is great where it is. Don't see how they (the corporation in general) can survive but I hope they pull some kind of rabbit out of hat.

@Rubycon: Thanks for the link! Didn't know it existed and I have definitely found a new time killer. :)

Sorry had to post this. My first multimeter from ~1977, Micronta from RadioShack. Still works great.
AsAjISk.jpg

Thanks for posting links to that site Rubycon. Much appreciated.

Back