RadioShack Says Company May File for Bankruptcy

I dont shop at radioshack, but im sad to see them go. I would of much rather radioshack turned into a graybar. a high end electronic hardware store. I used radioshack on rare occassions to get new cell phones. they typically had pretty aggressive pricing on new phones with contract.

In a lot of places in the country the absolutely ONLY place to get any kind of electronic parts test equipment, like a multimeter was Radio shack. National electric suppliers were so below the radar you had to "know someone" to get a catalog. A buddy of mine was at a local independent parts supplier picking up a part he ordered and saw a MCM electronics catalog on the counter. He picked it up and started reading through it. The store manager saw him then ran up and yanked it out of his hands and told him that was for dealers only. (that was a lie) He was telling me a lot of what they sell comes from MCM and they charge outrageous prices above the catalog prices. He was quick enough to get the 800 number off the catalog and ordered his own. I got the number and did the same. This was in the early 1980s and just having a supplier catalog in your possession was like gold.

I believe Radio Shack could be saved if they focused on the hobbist. Maybe more focus on arduino. With the prices of 3d printing slowly dropping, Radio Shack should focus more on that.

Back