Radiator Shroud?

Talonz

2[H]4U
I'm still far away from beginning my WC setup, but I would like to know what options there are in terms of shrouds. I want to go with a 2x120mm radiator, and I will be using low flow fans. I have an Antec 1080 case (the classic kind with the door). I haven't been able to find a shroud yet, and I am considering the BIP II and 2Fresh's 2x120 radiator.

The radiator placement in my mind goes like this: Radiator in the top 5 1/4 drive bay, sitting flush to the top of the case. Shroud with fans inside of it sits on top of the case (Koolance style). Air will probably be blowing up, so it will be sucking air from the radiator. This way, it should be relatively air tight and effective (yes I realize that the case air is slightly warmer, but this is how I want to do it).

So really, three questions:

1) Will the BIP II fit in my drive bay?

2) Anything wrong with my setup?

3) Where can I find a shroud like this/any other ways of making this work? I have also considered a Radbox but they are ugly and a shroud is even less feasible with it.

Thanks in advance..

Your best bet... and what I do to make my own shrouds... is to hit Home Depot and purchase roof flashing. It's moderate guage aluminum sheets that is easily bent. Construct your own shroud out of that with foam insulation used to make it "airtight".

It's really cheap (especially in the quantities you'll need to build a shroud).

For the foam insulation I just use Akasa sound dampening foam... when compressed between a fan and shroud or shroud and heat exchanger it serves the purpose.

Then you're all set with your super groovy, custom made, fan shroud. You can even make it look like whatever you want.

Weapon's shrouds work extremely well also, I'm using 2 on each of my heater cores. One is just for mounding and also acts as a fresh air chamber while the other is for the fans. I was using fans in a push/pull setup but that didn't help my temps any, all it did was raise the noise level.............. :D Idle temps are at 2c over room temp.

Voyeurmods.com does sell some thin shrouds for the BI series of radiators, I'm not sure how much performance gain you will get out of them, but I guess every little bit helps.............. ;)

http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1065&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

SH_BIX2_R.jpg

Bio,

i looked at those shrouds... but they said they were for the BI extreme's... will they fit on the BIP's too? If so i will order one!

thanks!

Chris

The fan mounting on the Pro II and Extreme II are the same as far as I know. The only differance between the 2 being the thickness............... :cool:

BI Extreme II Specs:

bixii0da.jpg

BI Pro Specs:

bip23bq.jpg

The differance in length comes from the use of different end tanks.

For about $20 and a little labor, I made a shroud for my heater core out of fiberglass. Went to Home Depot and picked up a fiberglass repair kit, it was plenty to get the job done.

;)

bitbum said:
For about $20 and a little labor, I made a shroud for my heater core out of fiberglass. Went to Home Depot and picked up a fiberglass repair kit, it was plenty to get the job done.

;)

Sweet shroud... but what are the side holes for? I imagine the ones in the end are for hoses but I can't figure out the side ones at all.

Looks like they are on the opposite side of the rad from the fans. So it gets side ventillation, maybe he has it mounted flush against something.

Looks like they are on the opposite side of the rad from the fans. So it gets side ventillation, maybe he has it mounted flush against something.

Exactly, DieLate. The holes expose the core sides for a littel added ventilation.

bradyapba said:
So Bio, your saying that the end tank difference wont matter with the shroud?
The end tanks make no difference at all for the normal shrouds.

Okay, thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I did some more looking around and it seems like the BIP may not get much of a gain due to the shroud? I may end up screwing it directly to the top of my case (from below) and just keep naked fans screwed onto the top (from above). If there's room I might keep them both below though. How does that sound?

Back