• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon HD 4890 in-hand

ZX679

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
63
Even though it wasn't listed I was able to buy one of these yesterday ($324 CAD). I will test/bench it out tonight.

48903.jpg

48902.jpg

48901.jpg
 
I heard that the cooler is not quite the same, they added some heat pipes to help get rid of the heat, should lower temps at the same fan speeds
 
I am curious to see how much faster it is compared to my 4850 crossfire set-up. Let us know.
 
@THRESHIN Actually when I walked in the store I was looking at a 4870 that was on sale and the salesguy started gloating that they already had two of these in stock...so I bought one.


I hope the 55nm helps with the OC'ing. We will see. Unfortunately I can't do 'real' Xfire cuz my other card is a 4870 512mb. I'm just gonna ebay the 4870.

Yes, it does look like more heat-pipes were added.
 
@THRESHIN Actually when I walked in the store I was looking at a 4870 that was on sale and the salesguy started gloating that they already had two of these in stock...so I bought one.


I hope the 55nm helps with the OC'ing. We will see. Unfortunately I can't do 'real' Xfire cuz my other card is a 4870 512mb. I'm just gonna ebay the 4870.

Yes, it does look like more heat-pipes were added.

40nm not 55nm..
 
the R740 is 40nm, the R790 is a respin of the R770 with some minor optimizations and a slightly different process for higher speeds.
 
Cool. Take this with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless. If there's any truth to it, the GTX 285 needs to watch it's ass. "Apparently the card performs almost as well as Crossfired 4850's." Doesn't the 4850X2 equal and often beat the 285 in the majority benches? If the 4890 runs almost as well for $60 less than the 285 ...? And this wasn't even with optimized drivers.

Too bad it's (allegedly) uber-loud.

Looking forward to your benchmarks.
 
Are there any technological differences between the 4870 and 4890, or is it just merely a 4870 on steroids?
 
Supposedly the stream processors on the 4890 are more efficient and as you may have heard the core and mem clocks are higher.
 
Cool. Take this with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless. If there's any truth to it, the GTX 285 needs to watch it's ass. "Apparently the card performs almost as well as Crossfired 4850's." Doesn't the 4850X2 equal and often beat the 285 in the majority benches? If the 4890 runs almost as well for $60 less than the 285 ...? And this wasn't even with optimized drivers.

Too bad it's (allegedly) uber-loud.

Looking forward to your benchmarks.

well put it this way, 650 mhz core clock on the 4850?
ok so, 4850x2 is basically equiv to 800sp @ 1300mhz, take into account scaling is usually around 1.6x not 2x this would put the shaders at 800sp clocked @ 1040mhz, pretty close to the 4890 :p

and no the 4850 doesn't regularly beat the 285, hell the 4870x2 even doesn't beat it all the time.
 
Supposedly the stream processors on the 4890 are more efficient and as you may have heard the core and mem clocks are higher.

Same amount of stream processors, although they did change the internals slightly, Expect that tha various hardware components have kept the same numbers, they might of slighly increased the size to help ramp up clock speeds.

I have read of 1ghz speeds on air cooling, and a roughly 4-6% gain in per clock perforance over the 4870.

So it may perform about the same as a 4870, if you could get them to clock up to 850-950 reliably.
 
Looking forwards to your results! I was waiting for the release of this so that I could pick up the Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1Gb at a better price, but if the results are good for the 4890 then I might stretch the budget a little...
 
Looking forwards to your results! I was waiting for the release of this so that I could pick up the Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1Gb at a better price, but if the results are good for the 4890 then I might stretch the budget a little...


if you find a 4870 toxic some where.. let me know.. because they are going out of stock everywhere.. hopefully it shows back up on newegg soon..
 
if you find a 4870 toxic some where.. let me know.. because they are going out of stock everywhere.. hopefully it shows back up on newegg soon..

I live in The Netherlands and there seems to be enough availability - hopefully this will last for another week!!
 
Even though it wasn't listed I was able to buy one of these yesterday ($324 CAD). I will test/bench it out tonight.

Me too. Just picked it up today for same price. Looking forward to trying it out tonight. My only somewhat disappointing assumption is that the factory cooler seems the same as 4870, but that could be a good thing for aftermarket stuffs.

Thanks for the fine photos.

how much head was involved to get that?

I dunno, lemme get out the dental dam and see how it's holding up :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_dam
 
I heard that the cooler is not quite the same, they added some heat pipes to help get rid of the heat, should lower temps at the same fan speeds

I hope yer right. Maybe I'll post a nudie shot of this darn thing.
 
and no the 4850 doesn't regularly beat the 285, hell the 4870x2 even doesn't beat it all the time.
I assume you mean the 4850X2? Maybe not, but it nips at the heels of 285. Dollar for dollar, the X2 is way the better bang for buck (but i dislike dual-GPU cards).

I've yet to see the 285 beat the 4870X2 in anything other than Dead Space and games where Crossfire fails and the X2 runs on a single core (fewer and fewer these days). Maybe I'm looking at the wrong benchmarks ...... I don't claim to be an expert.

I don't want to argue. I'm not a diehard Nvidia fanboi, but I tend to gravitate toward the Green. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 285 when the 4890 was announced. No harm in waiting a week or two for the verdict.
 
I assume you mean the 4850X2? Maybe not, but it nips at the heels of 285. Dollar for dollar, the X2 is way the better bang for buck (but i dislike dual-GPU cards).

I've yet to see the 285 beat the 4870X2 in anything other than Dead Space and games where Crossfire fails and the X2 runs on a single core (fewer and fewer these days). Maybe I'm looking at the wrong benchmarks ...... I don't claim to be an expert.

I don't want to argue. I'm not a diehard Nvidia fanboi, but I tend to gravitate toward the Green. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 285 when the 4890 was announced. No harm in waiting a week or two for the verdict.

The real issue in a lot of reviews, is that they do not use the latest drivers.

When recycling old bench marks, the marks from a card using a driver 3-4 revisions old compared to a new driver, the older driver card tends to lose a bit of ground.

The only real advantage of the 285 over 4870 x2 is the higher, and more consistant min frame rates.
 
True. All the more reason to wait for the next round of benchies. Chances are we'll soon see more than a few reviews comparing several high-end GPUs against both the GTX 275 and the 4890, assuming the most recent drivers.
 
read a quick review here, they saying it's only 6%-9% faster than a 4870, no OC results and, the GTX275 looks way better on the other hand. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=819

Bogus preview. All they did was OC a 4870 to speed with the newer 4890 and didn't take into effect the fact that a 4890 is technically faster clock for clock than a 4870. Take it with a grain of salt ;). I'm really excited to see how these card bench. Maybe enough to make me move to 4890 CF :p.
 
I am running one right now at 950/1000 no problems whatsoever. Open-air bench though. I will probably get around to putting it in a case when the excitement wears off ;)

16c5gcp.jpg


I will update if/when I get better results. Literally just plugged it in and set it to 950/1000 right out of the gate.
 
Card sounds like quite the performer when it comes to OCs. Glad to see that these clocks so many people have reported leading up to launch may not be all that inaccurate. :D
 
After market should work, but they die layout might of changed slightly.

Also I think they improved the built in cooler some, so might not be so big an issue, will have to see.
 
Back
Top