Radeon HD 3870 on QX9650 sneak peak

It is very typical of some NV fans to storm this subforum and post in this manner. Nothing new, and sadly happens all the time.

To storm it? It's just as much their forum as yours. Quit being protective of something you don't own.

I'm not just cancelling an 8800GT order but an 8800GT OC order to wait for a card that is likely around the same price and slower. :D

You da' man, alg7! ;) As for Crossfire results, there is a new premie-review posted for ATI fanboys to get excited about and nvidia fanboys to work overtime to discredit...

http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38701.htm

... Crossfire performance is looking pretty good with 8xAA. :cool:

You da' man, alg7! ;) As for Crossfire results, there is a new premie-review posted for ATI fanboys to get excited about and nvidia fanboys to work overtime to discredit...

http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38701.htm

... Crossfire performance is looking pretty good with 8xAA. :cool:
Nice numbers, looking better for me :D
Physical SPEC
Core name RV670. 55nm architecture made by TSMC
Operate at 777MHz with 320 Stream Processors

Memory using Samsung GDDR4
256bit Memory interface
Operate at 1126Mhz
The card is using GDDR4 RAM?

These cards will have AGP versions, right? BOOYAH! As long as they aren't grossly overpriced, I'm sold. My Asrock mobo and e6300 need some high end, high resolution love.

I'm liking what I'm seeing about the same performance as my 8800GTS with half the heat and Power. If all of this holds true (Power,Heat,Price) I'm going back to ATi.

quadfire :)

quadrv670-2.jpg

'Working AMD Phenom/RD790 System with Quad Crossfire Radeon HD 3850'

quadfire :)

quadrv670-2.jpg

'Working AMD Phenom/RD790 System with Quad Crossfire Radeon HD 3850'

Interesting logic:

People rarely used more than one video card when single-core CPUs ruled (I guess the Voodoos that could SLi were an exception... note the word "rarely")

SLi/Crossfire become popular in the fairly high-end segment about the same time that dual-cores became popular.

And now, you have 4 cores... so hell, why not have 4 video cards? :D

EDIT: I'm dumb

I could see quad sli/crossfire being worth it if the cards were priced ~$100. But FFS there goes all your expansion slots... Good by Wireless / Sound / Raid / Physics / Whatever else people would use.

I still remember when the 2600XT was released, I said that a multi gpu setup with cheap and low powered cards (2x2600XT) could be an alternative over a single faster card (8800GTS 640MB) that has a similiar price, performance and power consumption like the two cheap cards, however at that time, a lot of people said that it was a bad idea.

Now I can see that a lot of people are considering a multi GPU setup with cheap and low powered cards (8800GT/HD3870), the difference is however, now a single faster card that has a similiar price (8800GTX/Ultra) does not have a similiar performance anymore. :D

I still remember when the 2600XT was released, I said that a multi gpu setup with cheap and low powered cards (2x2600XT) could be an alternative over a single faster card (8800GTS 640MB) that has a similiar price, performance and power consumption like the two cheap cards, however at that time, a lot of people said that it was a bad idea.

Now I can see that a lot of people are considering a multi GPU setup with cheap and low powered cards (8800GT/HD3870), the difference is however, now a single faster card that has a similiar price (8800GTX/Ultra) does not have a similiar performance anymore. :D

yup because 2x2600xt or 2x8600gts cards were still slower then the 8800/2900 alternatives, where as this is in a single card config, almost as fast, 1/2 the price so it does actually make sense

yup because 2x2600xt or 2x8600gts cards were still slower then the 8800/2900 alternatives, where as this is in a single card config, almost as fast, 1/2 the price so it does actually make sense

Exactly lol... 2 2600xts were (are) a crappy idea vs a 8800gts. The difference is now there is only a small difference between the $250 part and $500 part, because no new $500 part has come out yet. If they release new high end parts that offer ~2x performance of the $250 one then it will be better to buy a single high end part again.

Also... 2-4x cards that are single slot and exhaust into the case not out of, plus removing any expansion card slots = wtf lame :p

Also... 2-4x cards that are single slot and exhaust into the case not out of, plus removing any expansion card slots = wtf lame :p
Not unless you run an open case and it's a dedicated gaming machine.

Not unless you run an open case and it's a dedicated gaming machine.

If its a dedicated gaming machine, where are you going to put your sound card, or physics (when/if they ever make it worthwhile)?

If its a dedicated gaming machine, where are you going to put your sound card, or physics (when/if they ever make it worthwhile)?
Good question. Physics wouldn't interest me at this point, but I agree you would need to be a little creative with the sound. Perhaps opting for 4 single slot cards will provide just enough space to incorporate a decent sound solution? Just speculating, but you do have a point there. Creative just release Audigy products with PCI-E.

This has been needed for a long time now. We need a board that's 2x longer than the ATX. Screw the little towers, I want a big flat chassis on wheels w/ 4 floor fans on both sides!

This has been needed for a long time now. We need a board that's 2x longer than the ATX. Screw the little towers, I want a big flat chassis on wheels w/ 4 floor fans on both sides!
I agree with you there. The standard number of slots and spacing just don't cut it anymore. However, developing a new form factor is anything but easy and there are many obstacles on the way to successful industry-wide adoption.

Well ATX boards are fine if we can get the power of 4 cards in the size of one. If AMD/NV only want to make a mid-range card and then have us CF/SLI it up to get performance we are just getting screwed out of innovations.

So guys, when does the NDA lift and the cards officially go for sale?

19th? I need to be on the ball this time, last time the 8800GTs came out at 6AM on several websites and they were still cheap back then. Sold out in 30 mins.

So guys, when does the NDA lift and the cards officially go for sale?

19th? I need to be on the ball this time, last time the 8800GTs came out at 6AM on several websites and they were still cheap back then. Sold out in 30 mins.

All indications are this Thursday or Friday. I"m hoping for Thursday

The card looks promising. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade just yet, since my dual x1950 GT's running in Crossfire mode are doing just fine for now, but if this new card can get me 8800 GT / GTS performance, while using a lot less power, and running cooler, then I am tempted to say, "why not?" when upgrade time comes around the corner?

well the way I see it, creative is going downhill, so the next logical step? Integrated XFI chips :)

Don't give them any ideas!

exactly, seconded.
with all the needs of a dual slot cooler, and all the aftermarket addon cards, 7 slots aint enough anymore. But I thought there are E-atx mobos? I donno.

I remember seeing thermaltake designing cases with around 10 expansion slots capability, so that's a good start :p

exactly, seconded.
with all the needs of a dual slot cooler, and all the aftermarket addon cards, 7 slots aint enough anymore. But I thought there are E-atx mobos? I donno.
IINM, E-ATX motherboards extend in width not length. You need extra deep cases for those, but standard height cases should suffice. There are form factors taller than ATX, but I forget what they're called, and usually made for quads or greater sockets. However, with a few exceptions they don't provide additional slots. They are taller to accommodate extra processors and memory. Their cases are almost always proprietary, though.

Back