• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon 5670

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,609
Coming January 21 for €79

According
to a few early listings, AMD's no thrills Redwood GPU will ship on January 21 with prices starting at €79. We're expecting even lower prices once it starts shipping, but don't expect a bargain. AMD has the lead and has no reason to cut prices on DirectX 11 cards, even in the low end.

The Redwood is basically a halved Juniper. It features 400 stream processors and 40 texture units, but it retains the 128-bit memory bus. It will be available in 512MB and 1024MB versions. At this point we're not sure about the clocks either, as some retailers claim the GPU runs at 850MHz, while others are listing 775MHz. The same goes for memory, 1000MHz to 1200MHz depending on who you ask.

The cards are expected to ship within the next two weeks and some retailers claims they will have them in stock in 10 days, January 21.


http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17172/1/

maybe he meant 20 texture units? Looks like it will beat a 4670. Very low power also.
 
well the 4670 already had 32tmu with its 320sp so 40 makes sense for 400. its just 1/10 instead of 1/20 like on the 5800 and 5700 cards. its funny because that means the 5670 will have more texture power than than the 5750. I certainly doubt it will have 1200mhz(4800 effective) gddr5 because thats what the 5770 has and they both have 128bit bus. 1000mhz gddr5 sounds about right though.
 
Kinda looking forward to seeing how this card performs. Need a low budget, low energy card. DX11 is cool too I guess.
 
What has me excited is the $750 5650 powered Acer Laptop coming out next week. Picking it up day 1!
 
maybe its been moved to the 14th (this Thursday):

AMD Radeon HD 5670 to launch on 14th
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Tuesday, 12 January 2010 10:07


January

This coming Thursday ATI is planning to launch its fourth DirectX 11 product. First it launched RV870, something that Rick Bergman calls Cypress – Radeon HD 58x0, then they followed with Juniper – Radeon 57x0 generation and now it's time to launch Radeon HD 5670.

This card is codenamed Redwood and is fully Direct X 11 capable. It has 400 stream processors, 20 texture units and it will ship with 512MB or 102MB of GDDR5 on a 128-bit bus. This is a mainstream card and we will try to get some performance info for you later this week.

This product will be followed by Cedar, a value DirectX 11 part that will end up in Radeon HD 5500 and 5450. The first product reviews of Radeon HD 5670 will show up on January 14th after 6.01 AM Central European time or 15.01 Pacific Standard Time.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17196/1/
 
well 20tmu would make sense if you compare it to the 5700 and 5800 series but it will be quite a downgrade from the 4670 which had 32tmu. I am really surprised that they didnt go with 480sp/24tmu for the 5670.
 
Yea I remember seeing a video (around CES time Friday maybe Saturday by the time I found it) of someone quoting the 14th so there's only hoping. I really want to see how big of a gap there will be between the 5750 and 5670.
 
that site has horrible reviews but its better than no review at all I guess. I think his chart is wrong because it should be 16ROPs just like GPUz says. I guess losing 40% of the TMU that the 4670 had didnt hurt anything. those benchmarks indicate that the 4670 was severely memory bandwidth starved because 80 more SP certainly would not give that much boost. also I find it hard to believe that power consumption went up compared to the 4670.
 
Looks disappointing... Now I know why the 512MB 5750 is not made widely available at MSRP of $109, if the 4770 is any indication of what a 5750 would be performing like that is.

I guess the selling point is the single slot factor.

Edit: Aww short lived.. the review just got taken down.
 
Last edited:
Looks disappointing... Now I know why the 512MB 5750 is not made widely available at MSRP of $109, if the 4770 is any indication of what a 5750 would be performing like that is.

I guess the selling point is the single slot factor.

Edit: Aww short lived.. the review just got taken down.

the 5770 is the card that is supposed to replace the 4770.

the only thing that i didn't like about the review of the 5670 was that it seemed to get hot. hopefully they get that fixed because i think if they can it will be the perfect htpc card.

you have to realize what the 5670 is all about. it requires no extra power adapter it gets enough power off the pci-e slot. so it is now the most power gpu that doesn't require a power adapter. it seemed to beat out the gt 240 pretty easily which was the previous fastest card without an extra power.

the 5670 according to the review can also come out in a version that supports crossfire so it could be a cheap option for a budget gamer that wanted to add a second card down the line.

it may not be the most powerful card but for what it does it is the best we have seen.
 
5770 ~ 4870
5750 ~ 4850 and 4770 I know that.

But yea I let the fact that it doesn't use a power connector slip my mind. I'm letting my own video card desires cloud my mind.
 
I'm guessing all the reviews that used GPU-z are reporting the wrong Texture fillrate and # of ROPs.

Bunch of Edits: Crossfire doesn't look worth it as it varies across games by quite a bit but then I don't think that was really ever a huge attraction. Better off picking up a 57xx. The guru3d review confuses the 5750 and 5670 a couple times (e.g. RE5 and naming the 5670 picture gallery 5750).

Legitreview has some 1GB vs 512MB comparisons which is interesting to note. 5750 which I've been following show a difference at least in unigine. It looks like none of the comparisons showed a difference for 5670 (I'm not saying there won't be, but it'll be even rarer than the 5750). I guess it makes sense that as we get to the lower and lower end the extra memory becomes more of a gimmick.

Extremetech recommends GT240 over 5670 which contradicts most of the other reviews and my own judgement having browsed through several of those reviews which makes me LOL. Hardwareheaven shows some more justification for GT240 if you look at the media aspects and ignore the gaming but Extremetech's review is pretty bad none the less.

Hardwarecanucks shows that 512MB GT 240 beats 1GB in a few games which is a bit odd to me. The difference is quite big too (bigger than a difference in memory normally does before reaching the point where it's memory starved) which makes me think they mislabedl something.

What's also interesting is some noise reviews shows it to be a tad louder than 5750, but I guess there might eventually be passive cooling for it.

It is indeed for a VERY specific market. Even being constrained by a similar budget, I'd be willing to reach a tad higher to 512MB 5750 (a couple reviews like Hardware Canucks point this out too) if I could find it! Unless of course the 512MB 5670 is significantly cheaper as I assume the MSRPs being quoted for the 5670 are the 1GB ones.

P.S. Excuse my 5750 bias as that is my target card that fits my needs/budget. However I tried to point out many interesting points. I'll keep looking for the 512MB 5750 or look forward to the nvidia counter for it. I've had enough looking at reviews for a card I'm not interested in. Not bad improvement wise but depending on your purpose, GT240 might be better for media and 5750's pricing might be worth it for the gaming. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
What size power supply would be required for this card?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5670-review-test-crossfire/5
Keep in mind their test system setup (it's more than what you would want/need with a card of this caliber), but with that link, you can deduce what the card drains itself if you compare crossfire to non crossfire setup.

I think what they recommend for PSU and the amperage sounds excessively high to me.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/hd5670launch/16.html
says maybe even as low as 350w. As you go lower the price gap between the PSUs of different voltages is so minor so I probably wouldn't use anything lower than 350-400w.
 
Last edited:
This coming Thursday ATI is planning to launch its fourth DirectX 11 product. First it launched RV870, something that Rick Bergman calls Cypress – Radeon HD 58x0, then they followed with Juniper – Radeon 57x0 generation and now it's time to launch Radeon HD 5670.

This card is codenamed Redwood and is fully Direct X 11 capable. It has 400 stream processors, 20 texture units and it will ship with 512MB or 102MB of GDDR5 on a 128-bit bus. This is a mainstream card and we will try to get some performance info for you later this week.

This product will be followed by Cedar, a value DirectX 11 part that will end up in Radeon HD 5500 and 5450. The first product reviews of Radeon HD 5670 will show up on January 14th after 6.01 AM Central European time or 15.01 Pacific Standard Time.

As it turned out, the different codenames also have working differentiators, as well. The only Cedar-based GPU out is the HD 5450. The HD 55xx series is the Redwood PRO; the HD 56xx series is the Redwood XT. The HD 5750 is Juniper LE while the HD 5770 is the Juniper XT. The 5850 is the Cypress PRO and the 5870 is the Cypress XT. NVIDIA has absolutely nothing that can compete with the Redwood XT or the Juniper line right now in terms of features and performance for the prices that the mid-level GPUs sell for.

And if I were to upgrade my main system's GPU from its current HD 4850 to something newer in the AMD line, I would not have picked a Juniper LE (a.k.a. HD 5750) because it would have been merely a sideways-step in overall performance from the 4850. And even a single HD 5770 is a questionable upgrade because it still would not have delivered a boost that's worth the purchase price. (Of course, the Juniper XT/HD 5770 is a very popular choice for gamers who want to achieve decent gaming performance without breaking the bank in building a new semi-gaming system or if they have small, low-rez monitors and still want to play many of the very latest games on their rigs.) But I would have picked the Redwood XT (a.k.a. HD 5670) over the GeForce GT 240 if I were to build a new HTPC system that can also do some light-to-moderate gaming.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top