Radeon 4800 & GeForce 200 Series Value Guide @ [H]

I must be missing some thing, from Article's highest playable setting :
The more expensive Radeon HD 4870 was not able to deliver an experience greater than the GeForce GTX 260 due to the fact that we could not utilize AA on the 4870 at this resolution

But Apples-to-Apples shown that HD4870 were able to handle 8AA + 16AF and actually performs better than gtx260 :
The Radeon HD 4870 is faster than the GeForce GTX 260.
:confused::confused::confused:

another possible mistake was in the "apples to apples summary" on the conclusion page...

"in Age of Conan the Radeon HD 4870 X2 at half the price is pulling the same minimum framerate and very close to the same average framerate as the near $500 more expensive 4870 X2 configuration"...

is the bolded part supposed to read "4870 X2 CrossFireX configuration"...?

well heres a little hint for... it will be the same performance as the 4870X2. considering you can get the 4870X2 for $450-$500 buying two 4870 1gb cards would be pretty stupid.

Don't know that until you try that! I think it should be pretty close too but just to be thorough.

I'm running NFS:Carbon, NFS:Most Wanted, Quake Wars: Enenmy Territory and COH, without any Problems on my HD4850, it chews them up and spits my 8800GTX Ultra OC into the Dust, which is really Impressive.

Hmm, all the review sites out there show the 4850 being roughly equal to an 8800GTX.

Hmm, all the review sites out there show the 4850 being roughly equal to an 8800GTX.

depends on the games. for instance COJ the 4850 will hand the 8800GTX its ass. It was (the demo at any rate) unplayable on my 8800GTX but will play on a 4850. and the amount of AA makes a big difference. turn up the AA and they loose their equal footing.

don't get me wrong, I really liked my 8800GTX but the newer hardware is just that much better.

trifire worked well for me with 3870x2 n 3870 :p just clocked the mem high on 3870x2 n core up on 3870 850//1050 :p
3870x2 had 825 mhz core 3870 777 mhz mem on 3870 1123 mhz 3870x2 900..

BUT, i saw draaastic change from single to muli (1 to 2x gpus) when the 3rd came in, it just improved and wasnt like the same WOOW, you gain something, but isnt that much ... YET.

Am I an idiot?

I read:
Price: $549.99
Less Rebate: - $50.00

Final Price: $499.99*

Where does the $450 come from?

I wish you had tested more games... this way it's hard to determine whether a single HD4850 would be able to run most modern games comfortably at 1920x1200.

Awesome review! However...shouldn't the max GTX 280 FPS be more like 57 here? The average is higher than the max which makes no sense and the graph definitely shows the GTX 280 hitting above 55 FPS.

Great Article! Glad to finally see some of what I am been saying all along coming to surface. The Apples-Apples comparison doesn't tell the whole story and this article did a very good job of demonstrating that.

Thank you for this pleasant read.

wow im really impressed with the 4850, not in my wildest dreams I would thought that 150 bucks could yield such performance

with "stalker:clear sky" review's out now? i don't think so.
btw. i'm impressed by your sig, shouldn't it maxed at 10 lines.

Id really like to see crysis and apples to apples testing of the GTX260-216 and the 4870 1GB. Neither card is in the review, and both are new options (and the 1GBs seperate review uses warhead, instead of the original crysis, not comparable).

Personally, the only test that matters to me is crysis. Everything else can be run pretty much maxed out >60fps on my screen.

Actually Id like to see running tests of each new GPU on those 2 tests until crysis can be maxed out at 2560 on a midrange card or theres a new GPU destroying game out.

wow im really impressed with the 4850, not in my wildest dreams I would thought that 150 bucks could yield such performance

Down to $140 pretty commonly... Even variants with aftermarket heatsinks. Then again, the older GTX 260 is down to $200-220, both are a heck of a deal compared to almost every previous gen of cards imo. Although I don't know it's due to healthy competition as much as a slowdown in game engine development...

Down to $140 pretty commonly... Even variants with aftermarket heatsinks. Then again, the older GTX 260 is down to $200-220, both are a heck of a deal compared to almost every previous gen of cards imo. Although I don't know it's due to healthy competition as much as a slowdown in game engine development...
slowdown in game development? um there is Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, and Fallout 3 just to name a few. those games have or will have pretty demanding engines on high settings/resolutions. its competition keeping prices down for sure.

Well, that might be what's on the pipeline... But for the last year or so, no noteworthy game has really been pushing any of these cards hard outside of Crysis, and I doubt unreleased games are influencing pricing/etc. What I meant was, put simply, for the time being the cards have outpaced the devs, and even the cheaper low/mid-range parts can currently run most games (again, except Crysis) at average resolutions (1680x1050 or 1600x1200) with everything cranked just fine.

Obviously when ATI was dragging it's feet NVidia had a tighter control over prices, but would ATI have been able to catch up as easily if there had been more demanding games out there and NVidia had released the 200 series sooner? /shrug It's worked out just fine for us as the consumers either way though.

Well, that might be what's on the pipeline... But for the last year or so, no noteworthy game has really been pushing any of these cards hard outside of Crysis, and I doubt unreleased games are influencing pricing/etc. What I meant was, put simply, for the time being the cards have outpaced the devs, and even the cheaper low/mid-range parts can currently run most games (again, except Crysis) at average resolutions (1680x1050 or 1600x1200) with everything cranked just fine.

Obviously when ATI was dragging it's feet NVidia had a tighter control over prices, but would ATI have been able to catch up as easily if there had been more demanding games out there and NVidia had released the 200 series sooner? /shrug It's worked out just fine for us as the consumers either way though.
I still slightly disagree with you because those games have been or will be released this month. Crysis, Warhead, Clear Sky and even older games like Lost Planet DX10 and Call of Juarez DX10 are still very demanding games.

Yeah. I know. Great article BTW.

I'm especially excited to get a second one for Crossfire.

nösferatu;1033088230 said:
I must be missing some thing, from Article's highest playable setting :

But Apples-to-Apples shown that HD4870 were able to handle 8AA + 16AF and actually performs better than gtx260 :

:confused::confused::confused:

I noticed this as well as other disparities between the highest gameplay settings and apples-to-apples results.

I'd like to see this addressed.

be interesting to see where an 8800GT factors in where crysis is playable at 1680x1050 at all high settings.

I still slightly disagree with you because those games have been or will be released this month. Crysis, Warhead, Clear Sky and even older games like Lost Planet DX10 and Call of Juarez DX10 are still very demanding games.

Supreme commander gets my 4850 hotter than any other game I play. It surpasses 90c and then shuts me down. Where XP would have blue screened back in the day, at least Vista recovers, but I still have to restart my game. Only supreme commander does that to me. One heck of a demanding game, still.

Edit: And that's with the fan at a very noisy 80%!!!!

crysis is the most gpu heavy game that i run, supreme commander never consistently loads gpu at 100% so temps weren't that bad. i too used to experience shutdowns unless i ramped the fan high. me thinks it had something to do with vrm cooling. aftermarket cooling should fix your problem with some sinks on vrm.

crysis is the most gpu heavy game that i run, supreme commander never consistently loads gpu at 100% so temps weren't that bad. i too used to experience shutdowns unless i ramped the fan high. me thinks it had something to do with vrm cooling. aftermarket cooling should fix your problem with some sinks on vrm.

My GTX260 Maxcore arrives in two days. Problem solved. :D I'll just sell my 4850 to a friend who needs to upgrade. He'll never play Supreme Commander, but his 7600GT is getting long in the tooth, so he'll probably be fine.

I noticed this as well as other disparities between the highest gameplay settings and apples-to-apples results.

I'd like to see this addressed.

Because the two are not linear. If the two showed the exact same results, why show both of them. Sort of like many that cry, "Your real world gameplay shows different results than the benchmarks, your results are wrong!" Well no shit there Sherlock. If gameplay mirrored the canned benchmarks we would save some time and a hell of a lot of money and just do canned benchmarks.

I bet whomever's repeating those sequences can do 'em blind-folded by the time they're done testing, lol.

I bet whomever's repeating those sequences can do 'em blind-folded by the time they're done testing, lol.

Are there macro programs that work with any of the new games? Like, can the testers just make a keyboard/mouse macro that runs the demo for them? That would insure nearly exact impartiality in every test, and free up some of their valuable time .... just a thought.

It might not work reliably with dynamic AI/physics in some cases, and I'm not sure how well you can really macro fast mouse twitch movements anyway... Certainly worth exploring though.

My GTX260 Maxcore arrives in two days. Problem solved. :D I'll just sell my 4850 to a friend who needs to upgrade. He'll never play Supreme Commander, but his 7600GT is getting long in the tooth, so he'll probably be fine.
ygpm

Are there macro programs that work with any of the new games? Like, can the testers just make a keyboard/mouse macro that runs the demo for them? That would insure nearly exact impartiality in every test, and free up some of their valuable time .... just a thought.

FRAPS recordings.

Excessive bumping is not allowed alywhere on the forum. You keep bumping, I start deleting ;)

Back