r290 Black Screen Issue

Are you getting the Black screen?!?!

• Total voters

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
Are you getting the black screen issue?

I am only If I do one of 2 things, enable GFX overdrive via CCC, or overclock the memory at all in MSI Afterburner.

(Gigabyte R290) I've tried flashing mine with a sapphire bios to see if it is bios related with no luck.

It seems to be mostly on cards with Elpedia Memory, and seems to show itself on both 290 and 290x cards.

I only get it under one condition now.
If I run Heaven benchmark full screen, instant black screen of death.
If I run it windowed, no problem no matter what resolution or settings.

For clarity mine is a Powercolor 290 running an XFX 290X BIOS with Accelero Xtreme III cooler.
With +100mV on the core I can get memory to 1620MHz.

Op, does the same issue occur if you increase the core voltage slightly, say +20mV?
Have you tried resetting the driver to defaults?
Have you tried the WHQL driver?

voted yes even though it doesnt really affect me in a negative way.

I only get it under one condition now.
If I run Heaven benchmark full screen, instant black screen of death.
If I run it windowed, no problem no matter what resolution or settings.

For clarity mine is a Powercolor 290 running an XFX 290X BIOS with Accelero Xtreme III cooler.
With +100mV on the core I can get memory to 1620MHz.

Op, does the same issue occur if you increase the core voltage slightly, say +20mV?
Have you tried resetting the driver to defaults?
Have you tried the WHQL driver?

voted yes even though it doesnt really affect me in a negative way.

I have not tried the WHQL Driver, does one exist for the 290? I'm also running an Accelero Xtreme III ( though I hate that company ~.~)

I will try the driver and voltage increase, Thanks for the input.

BTW I did try +20mV

I am running a sapphire 290 with the latest bios from them. Using the 9.5 drivers.

Haven't had any black sceen yet. But, haven't done any overclocking either.

I used to get a blackscreen on occasion when playing BF4 before the beta drivers came out. After using the betas, I no longer get a blackscreen.

Is this 290 specific? I have two 290Xs and I don't experience this.

aparently he has a 780 in his gaming machine, and a 6970 in his media machine, still not a 290 though...

Mine black-screens instantly if I run 3Dmark Vantage. I very rarely get it in games with the 9.4 drivers now though.

I have a 290 flashed to 290x. Blackscreen only happened with 290x bios and only when memory was overclocked beyond 10% of 290x default clocks. Now that I have the clocks dialed in I have no issues. Can't fault the card, works perfectly as 290 or 290x at stock clocks. I should add that it only happened when on windows desktop.

No black screen issues with my 290x or 290. Both have elpida memory.

i have a sapphire 290 pro, OCed to 1105 core, no black screens.

although, i did have some if i enabled OD in CCC, but i need AB for reporting anyway, so i just disabled it.

I have a feeling a lot of these black screens are CCCs implementation of ADL.

Gigabyte R9 290 @ R9 290(X) ASUS bios 1030/1250. Elpida memory.

I only get it if I overclock memory too high. I simply don't overclock the memory clock at all.

I don't think so, because I have overdrive enabled, I am using it to allow fan speed to go to 100%. Not crashed in anything, even playing BF4.

Sorry, I don't mean EVERYONE who uses OD gets it, I mean everyone who GETS it uses OD (Or OCs too high which could be unrelated)

My PC would go into power saving mode every time I tried to play a PC game. Disabled OD and everythings working fine.

Back