QX6700 Availability

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning on putting together a new system around the QX6700, but it seems these CPUs are really scarce. Newegg just upped their price to $1699 so that pretty much takes them out of consideration. I've looked at a few other places but can't seem to find any other reliable source. Anyone have any suggestions?

I noticed Tigerdirect is charging a lot more for shipping though. In my case, it would be $24 extra on top of their $1099.99 price. Still much cheaper than Newegg's $1699!

how is tiger so much cheaper? $600 is a huuuggeee amount to be undercutting newegg, so how are they still in stock and why aren't they jacking up the price? ha am i missing something here? they could be making a lot more money...

What the fuck is wrong with Newegg? $1400 was BAD ENOUGH. Now they up it even more?

And yet, SOO many people still have them for under $1100...

dMb said:
how is tiger so much cheaper? $600 is a huuuggeee amount to be undercutting newegg, so how are they still in stock and why aren't they jacking up the price? ha am i missing something here? they could be making a lot more money...

It's not that tigerdirect is so much cheaper, it's just that newegg is so much more expensive. Checking froogle, it seems most stores have them for under $1100.

dMb said:

They should be selling for 1099, not 1699.. thats why every store other than newegg has em in for cheaper

Heh, newegg sells it even more expensive than in Europe where we pay 15-25% sales tax

They wouldn't be charging that rate if suckers weren't buying them. They sold out of their first lot that they priced at $1499 and a bunch of suckers bought those (and you know who you are) so why not try and get more? Many deals to be had on the egg, and many assrapes as well. If you can stomach their shady practices then they are still the most efficient and quickest place to order.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a QX6700 + 4GB setup myself. $1099 sounds like an okay price, I just have to justify spending the money in the first place! It's not like my X2 4800 is "slow" ...

could it be a pricing error on NE. 1699 is supposed to be 1099?

Newegg seems to be the only place I've found Retail Boxed QX6700s, that's what they are selling for $1699. All the others I've seen that are in the $1099 - $1299 range are OEM parts. If I'm going to spend this kind of money on a CPU, I'd like to get the retail boxed version, but not at $1699.

JethroXP said:
Newegg seems to be the only place I've found Retail Boxed QX6700s, that's what they are selling for $1699. All the others I've seen that are in the $1099 - $1299 range are OEM parts. If I'm going to spend this kind of money on a CPU, I'd like to get the retail boxed version, but not at $1699.

Actually, if you used the search feature then you will come to find many many places selling the retail boxed versions :rolleyes:

Ockie said:
Actually, if you used the search feature then you will come to find many many places selling the retail boxed versions :rolleyes:

True, but when you actually visit the sites to make the purchase, you find that they are all "OUT OF STOCK" or "BACK ORDERED" or "PRE ORDER ONLY". It was almost becoming a cruel joke for a while.

Anywho, I just order a retailed boxed QX6700 from TankGuys for $1119. I was just randomly checking sites and they suddenly showed it as in stock. Saved me $580 over what Newegg is charging.

JethroXP said:
True, but when you actually visit the sites to make the purchase, you find that they are all "OUT OF STOCK" or "BACK ORDERED" or "PRE ORDER ONLY". It was almost becoming a cruel joke for a while.

Anywho, I just order a retailed boxed QX6700 from TankGuys for $1119. I was just randomly checking sites and they suddenly showed it as in stock. Saved me $580 over what Newegg is charging.

I almost linked to Tank Guys but someone beat me. Too rich for my blood but more power to those who can. Mad props to ya':)

Newegg has F@nboys and they'll shop exclusively at Newegg. I like Newegg and have them at the top of my list when Online Shopping. I just don't shop there when they pull one of these business moves. Doesn't mean they're bad or anything.

Donnie27 said:
I almost linked to Tank Guys but someone beat me. Too rich for my blood but more power to those who can. Mad props to ya':)

Newegg has F@nboys and they'll shop exclusively at Newegg. I like Newegg and have them at the top of my list when Online Shopping. I just don't shop there when they pull one of these business moves. Doesn't mean they're bad or anything.

I hear ya about Newegg, they really disappointed me on this one, but I'm very likely going to order all of my other parts from them for this PC, except for the case and Power Supply. For those I've been using Performance PCs and have had nothing but outstanding experiences with them. If you are looking to get a custom, or customize case, or just want to add some bling, they are a great place to use.

JethroXP said:
I hear ya about Newegg, they really disappointed me on this one, but I'm very likely going to order all of my other parts from them for this PC, except for the case and Power Supply. For those I've been using Performance PCs and have had nothing but outstanding experiences with them. If you are looking to get a custom, or customize case, or just want to add some bling, they are a great place to use.

Yup, when folks don't shop around, it hurts us all. Yet, there's no reason to bash Newegg on the whole. They still do a lot better than other places I shop at. I've had M-Wave and ZipZoomFly ship me the wrong Item, then try to charge a 15% restocking fee. MWave did correct their problem, ZZF never did. Lately I've gotten great results with Tigerdirect. In the old days, they sucked up the place.

I've gotten good deals from Directron. They sell mods as well. Mainly when they have sales and they're not that far from me, just one state away, so good/fast shipping. But there are about 4 places for cases and cooling needs I use more than others.
http://www.frostytech.com/
http://www.atxcases.com/
http://www.xoxide.com/
My new place http://www.quietpcusa.com/

Yes there are 100's of other places.

Oh don't get me wrong, I still love and trust Newegg completely. They just disappointed me on this QX6700 issue. After I bought the CPU from Tank Guys yesterday, I then went to Newegg and dropped $1550 for the rest of my components.

Newegg are a known quantity, completely reliable and trustworthy, and I don't even mind paying a couple dollars more there because I know I'm going to get a good experience. However I couldn't bring myself to pay $500 more, nearly 50% more in this case, for any item regardless of their reputation.

I also ended up getting my power supply and case from Performance PCs, I love all the options they give your for things like sleeving cables, drilling blowholes, adding switches, and basically customizing any part of your case.

w00t! Just got confirmation that TankGuys has shipped the QX6700. That's damn zippy service right there, considering I only ordered it about 16 hours ago :D

JethroXP said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I still love and trust Newegg completely. They just disappointed me on this QX6700 issue. After I bought the CPU from Tank Guys yesterday, I then went to Newegg and dropped $1550 for the rest of my components.

Newegg are a known quantity, completely reliable and trustworthy, and I don't even mind paying a couple dollars more there because I know I'm going to get a good experience. However I couldn't bring myself to pay $500 more, nearly 50% more in this case, for any item regardless of their reputation.

I also ended up getting my power supply and case from Performance PCs, I love all the options they give your for things like sleeving cables, drilling blowholes, adding switches, and basically customizing any part of your case.

I agree completely and that's why I said they are still the first I visit when shopping. 70% of the time they are where I end up shopping. This even after I've shopped around. Good luck with that Q6700:)

Keep in mind, that price is for OEM, not Retail. Intel OEM warranty is something like 30 days, whereas their Retail warranties last for 3 years. Most processors never go bad in their first 6 years of "service", but it does happen on rare ocassion. Even still, Tigerdirect's Retail QX6700 price is like $400 less than Newegg's.

Ranari said:
Keep in mind, that price is for OEM, not Retail. Intel OEM warranty is something like 30 days, whereas their Retail warranties last for 3 years. Most processors never go bad in their first 6 years of "service", but it does happen on rare ocassion. Even still, Tigerdirect's Retail QX6700 price is like $400 less than Newegg's.

Which price? The CPU I purchased from Tank Guys is a Retail Boxed CPU, not OEM, and it was $1119, which is what made it such a deal. All of the other QX6700's I've seen in that price range have either been "OUT OF STOCK" or OEM versions.

Ranari said:

Nope the OEM warranty is 1 year.

Tiger Direct

This product has a limited warranty of:
12 months for parts and 12 months for labor.
This warranty is provided by TigerDirect.com/I.

Support Phone Number: (305)415-2979

There might be a difference between Refund and Exchange time periods though.

And it appears that Tank Guys is now sold out of the QX6700. I guess I managed to time that one perfectly :p

JethroXP said:
And it appears that Tank Guys is now sold out of the QX6700. I guess I managed to time that one perfectly :p

I don't know if I should trust the Newegg salesperson but she said they sold all of their first batch, didn't give a number. It's kind of Hard to blame Newegg when folks over-pay for products of any kind. :rolleyes:

This even as it looks like Intel has flooded with C2Ds of all kinds. :D Most are priced slightly below the projected July-06 Tray Price for 1000. The E6600 is $308 at Newegg.

Intel is busy making Clovertowns , they want to regain server share.As a result , until dec 20 ( when they will flood the market for the Xmas shopping spree ), Kentsfield will be a little hard to find.

savantu said:
Intel is busy making Clovertowns , they want to regain server share.As a result , until dec 20 ( when they will flood the market for the Xmas shopping spree ), Kentsfield will be a little hard to find.

Yup, only places showing in stock are folks like Newegg where the price were raised. One site's salesman we talked to said he'd mention the amount they sold if we didn't tag them. They sold 36 before they had a chance to raise the price from $11xx. If I gave the price, you could track the site.

They made no bones about what happened. His words, "4 X 4 flopped and the C2Q went from curiosity to must have." He also said, his first shipment was larger than his first shipment of C2Ds. Weekend after next is what to watch for according to them, Dec 17 & 18. They also said, don't hold your breath for large number until after the 3 week in Jan-07. OEM's are loading up on them for Vista's launch.

Who cares about QX6700.

I want to know about Q6600 or Q6400 availability!

I guess Intel will make them available when AMD actually has their FX72 & FX70 processors available.

chrisf6969 said:
Who cares about QX6700.

I want to know about Q6600 or Q6400 availability!

I guess Intel will make them available when AMD actually has their FX72 & FX70 processors available.

Clearly people posting in this thread do ;)

I considered waiting for Q6600, but when I saw that the price difference (1000 unit pricing) was $850 vs. $999 for QX6700 I decided that the price difference was not significant enough for me to want to wait. Plus as you mentioned, we don't know what the availability will be like.

rolo said:
Got mine all set up ... it's great! 3.2ghz right away :p

Sweet! How did you do it, by upping the FSB, or upping the Clock Multiplier? I was planning to do the standard FSB thing, but then I remembered that Clock Multipliers are unlocked on both the X6800 and QX6700 CPUs.

According to FedEx's online tracking mine should arrive on Friday.

So far I've just upped the multiplier and set the voltage to 1.4v. RAM is at 4-4-4-12, 2.12v (couldn't set it to 2.10v exactly... multiples of 0.04v only on this Intel 975XBX2). Prime95 x4 has been going for over 3 hours so far. I'll have to try 3.46 next.

rolo said:
So far I've just upped the multiplier and set the voltage to 1.4v. RAM is at 4-4-4-12, 2.12v (couldn't set it to 2.10v exactly... multiples of 0.04v only on this Intel 975XBX2). Prime95 x4 has been going for over 3 hours so far. I'll have to try 3.46 next.

Are you satisfied with it ? That's the question! ;)

Haste266 said:
they dont have any quad core processor listed as available.

No, but they get shipments in all the time. You pay for pre-order, they call you when they come in. I preordered mine, and withing 48 hours got a call/email and my processor was here the next day.

Back