• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet Rack Servers

NSimone621

n00b
Joined
May 20, 2014
Messages
15
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a IBM x366, which is ridiculously loud, and a Dell 2950 which is better, but still loud. I am looking to replace my x366 so I was wondering if anyone knows what rackmount servers stay relatively quiet, I would prefer to buy second hand IBM, Dell or HP.
I've heard the R510 is pretty quiet, but I'd appreciate other recommendations too.
 
Every server rack server I've had my hands on was loud. R510, R720, HP doesn't matter.
I have a supermicro tower (whisper quiet workstation) that's ok... I have read elsewhere that a T620 in rack config will fit your bill. I wouldn't suggest supermicro if you want to run vmware, personally I ran into issues.
 
I picked up a Dell C1100 on eBay that isn't really any louder than a desktop PC.
 
I have a couple DL160 G6 servers. They are a lot quieter than the 1950s. Both running are quieter than my Nortel switch.
 
Thanks everyone, I'll look into each and see what fits my budget, I'll probably buy second hand because i'm too lazy to build one.
 
Just bought an R720 with a 6C chip and 32gb of RAM and packed all the drive bays with 2tb drives and it's incredibly quiet even under max CPU load. It's not silent but it's okay to have within 18" of my head while I'm working.
 
I have an R610 that was really quiet for a 1U

my 2900's were not very loud, and they had big fans so it was a lower hum, much more pleasing than the scream of tiny fans
 
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered a r610 to replace my IBM x366, I heard most of the r-line (R510,R610, and R710) were all a lot quieter than their predecessors. Will update when it arrives.
 
Back
Top