"Quick Save" should be thrown out of video games.

tzhu07

Gawd
It seriously takes away the challenge.

Before any of you say something like "well just don't use it then". Well I have no self control. :mad:

play dead island, and realise how irritating the lack of a quick save is.

hoping the next 'checkpoint' will be soon so you can stop fucking playing.

Stop bitching about it then. You have the option, use it if you want to.

So because you don't have any self control means it should be tossed out of games?

Cool.

Not really, there are some mods that can make Oblivion, Stalker and even Skyrim very difficult even with quick-save.

How about you play Fallout 3 or New Vegas without quicksaving and see what happens.

Go play old nintendo games on an actual nintendo if you want real challenge, or go play I wanna be the guy.

Quick save should be handled the way Mass Effect 2 and 3 handle it. You can use it all you want, but not in combat.

play dead island, and realise how irritating the lack of a quick save is.

Agreed. Some games really need quick save, and if you don't like it, don't use it.

Quick save should be handled the way Mass Effect 2 and 3 handle it. You can use it all you want, but not in combat.

I actually find that a little annoying, because a lot of the time the "checkpoints" will be right before a fight, but I'm still unable to save at the checkpoint because it already considers me "in combat".

I agree with you overall but it could be tweaked to work a little better.

Before any of you say something like "well just don't use it then". Well I have no self control. :mad:

Not having impulse control is a problem with you, not the design of the game.

Stop bitching about it then. You have the option, use it if you want to.
If you pay close attention, this guy likes creating "controversial" threads. I have a hard time believing that the OP actually represents his opinion on the matter.

I feel Quick Save allows games the ability to be more difficult without being unnecessarily tedious.

The lack of adequate save points doesn't increase difficulty but rather tedium.

I feel Quick Save allows games the ability to be more difficult without being unnecessarily tedious.

The lack of adequate save points doesn't increase difficulty but rather tedium.

I hate having to repeat the same damned section over and over because I'm having difficulty with one enemy or a group of them.

This is the biggest problem with games that use a checkpoint system. You can't play them for short periods unless the checkpoints are very close to each other.

Far Cry was a bitch in that respect. You had to set aside up to an hour some times to simply play a little of the game without losing your progress.

quick save is a godsend. i hate getting to a tough spot that you have to get just right, and having to play through the 5 minutes since the last checkpoint to get to that spot 20 times in a row before you finally get it right. this thread is dumb.

Try unbinding the key then? You can lack self control and mash that quick save button all you want. It just won't save. :rolleyes:

Then I guess telling you to stop bitching about insignificant things is too much to ask.

I like limited saves.

Like in the original Resident Evil series. You had to manage your saves and possibly make hard choices.

Don't use it if its available. As simple as that.

I'll use Quick Save however I please & some games really need the options. Checkpoints blow hard with some games.

I'm more annoyed when games don't stick to the F5 / F9 standard keybinds for QS / QL

Quick save is a nice convenience factor but I think it should be disabled in harder difficulties, or you should be somehow rewarded for never using it. It can and does trivialize the challenge factor. You start out thinking "I'll just quick save now and then, it just saves me from opening a menu right? Right?"

Next thing you know you're mashing that shit like a crackhead, and you're never replaying more than 30 seconds of the game at a time.

Just depends on the game. Plenty of examples said here would suffer if it didn't have quick save.

What they really should remove are checkpoints before a cutscene...damn I hate having to watch something over and over again because it's a boss fight.

I prefer having lots of save options, including games that only save when you quit (and delete your save when you die). Quicksave can work fine in many games, just make encounters difficult enough that quicksave doesn't give much of an advantage.

First of all, not everyone plays games for the challenge, don't make the assumption that people are interested in games for the same reason you are, some of us like to enjoy games as a kind of narrative and just find challenge to get in the way of that.

Second of all, your lack (or anyones lack) of self control is not a good excuse to make changes for everyone.

Lack of quicksave irritates the crap outta me because I see absolutely no value in being forced to re-play sections of a game over and over again when you don't want to, I think the player should enjoy playing the game and if you're not enjoying something then there should be some kind of good justification as to why.

1. Don't use it.
2. Have self control you barbarian.
3. People with non-gaming spouses appreciate quick save more than you could ever imagine.

First of all, not everyone plays games for the challenge, don't make the assumption that people are interested in games for the same reason you are, some of us like to enjoy games as a kind of narrative and just find challenge to get in the way of that.
This. In the past, when I had a very limited selection of games, I might have been the type to squeeze out every little bit of playtime I could out of a game, which often involved ratcheting up the difficulty enough to get 100+ hours out of it.

These days, I have so many games in my backlog that I don't want to spend a lot of time getting stuck in certain sections -- I'm more interested in having a smooth playthrough to be able to see the storyline in its entirety, and then move on to the next game. Building up enough "skill" to beat higher difficulty levels is a time-commitment that I'd rather put towards experiencing new games. I also feel like I gravitate more towards games that focus on well-written stories than I did when I was younger, and I don't feel as drawn to "challenge" games with non-existent storylines.

I'm more interested in having a smooth playthrough to be able to see the storyline in its entirety, and then move on to the next game. I also feel like I gravitate more towards games that focus on well-written stories than I did when I was younger, and I don't feel as drawn to "challenge" games with non-existent storylines.

This describes me perfectly as well. I ditched BF3 very quickly, and haven't been gaming much at all really, until ME3 just came out. After I get burned out on that, I don't expect to be gaming much until D3 comes out.

I once used it on accident right before falling into lava... had to restart all my progress... lol, this was back in 90s.

I don't mind quick saves, but agree it can often make games too easy. I like the idea of not being able to use it while in combat. It all really just depends on the game. Back in the NES days with many games having no saves at all... kinda made it less motivating to actually finish a game, eventually felt like busy work getting back to the point you died. Of course those type of games were much shorter.

I don't mind a lack of quick saves for short, linear games. However, anything resembling a sandbox absolutely needs to have quick save enabled. There's nothing worse than spending an hour just messing around the world exploring and then dying before a checkpoint. That's an hour you'll never be able to recreate and just feels like wasted time.

successful_troll.jpg

Seems to me it's mostly the "movies-as-games" people who absolutely can't live without quick save. Turn it down to Super Casual Baby Don't Hurt Me, Don't Hurt Me, No More mode, and face roll your way through a story. Might as well just read a book at that point.

But yeah on "Read Me A Story" mode they should definitely always allow quicksaves. If easy gameplay is your preference, there's really not that much chance of failure anyway, so allowing quicksave doesn't do much. Plus if you're treating the game as a movie, imagine if the movie made you watch the same 15 minutes several times in a row. Narrative flow ruined for very little gain if you aren't interested in the gameplay. So that makes sense.

Though on harder difficulties I think games should evoke a more classic gaming feel where you have to actually accomplish something in order to earn that "save", be it reaching a checkpoint, or maybe something like Hitman with limited numbers of saves per level.

Seems to me it's mostly the "movies-as-games" people who absolutely can't live without quick save. Turn it down to Super Casual Baby Don't Hurt Me, Don't Hurt Me, No More mode, and face roll your way through a story. Might as well just read a book at that point.

But yeah on "Read Me A Story" mode they should definitely always allow quicksaves. If easy gameplay is your preference, there's really not that much chance of failure anyway, so allowing quicksave doesn't do much. Plus if you're treating the game as a movie, imagine if the movie made you watch the same 15 minutes several times in a row. Narrative flow ruined for very little gain if you aren't interested in the gameplay. So that makes sense.

Though on harder difficulties I think games should evoke a more classic gaming feel where you have to actually accomplish something in order to earn that "save", be it reaching a checkpoint, or maybe something like Hitman with limited numbers of saves per level.

Try playing Fallout3 or Fallout New Vegas or Skyrim. You spend an hour roaming across the game world and get killed...then you have to redo ALL that running/walking because there are no checkpoints unless you go indoors.

"Accomplishment" my foot.

Just swap quick save with fast travel, and we've all had this conversation before, countless times. Learn some self control if you don't like it being there.

Back