• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick question on HSF's

hiodie

Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
900
I realize this question has been beaten to death and then some, but...

I have an E8400, P5Q Pro, and Antec 300 (all I think you need for HSF rec.) and I'm looking at these three HSF, Xigmatek S-1283, Zerotherm NV120, and Noctua NH-U12P. First question, is the xigmatek's fan worth using? I see a lot of people have it replaced, but is it because they are noisy or don't move air, or both? If I have to replace the fan, the xigmatek will cost about the same as the Noctua (including the mounting bracket), so I think I would rather have that. The NV120 would be cheaper than both though (assuming I have to buy a nice fan for s-1283). [H]ardOCP seemed to show it performed almost as good as the NH-U12F, but I don't see a lot of people using it. Any reason why? Thanks.
 
The S1283 fan's noise isn't really THAT bad, but it can be loud but not anything annoying (unlike the Zalmans.. ugh). I have it running as a case fan (1400pm)until I get something else.

If you can find the "Dark Knight" edition of the S1283, that one includes the mounting bracket and better looks for a tiny/small premium. The Noctua does look nice, but reviews have showed it to be inferior to the S1283.
 
Is the "Dark Knight" being sold yet? I haven't been able to find it anywhere, even as oos.
 
Question from another guy in a similar situation: I've shopped around for quieter fans to replace the HDT-S1283 stock fan, and I've heard people say that a Scythe SlipStream is a poor choice, because it doesn't have enough static pressure. Can anyone explain to me what this means?
 
It means that it doesn't work well when it has to force the air through things, i.e. your heatsink. The Scythe S-Flex fans are widely recommended instead, typically the 1200 rpm, I believe. Slipstreams are good for case fans though.
 
Back
Top