Quick PSU Question for my Server

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
2,054
I have a Supermicro / AbleCOM SP450-RP 450w Server Power Supply (should have a single 12v rail 30A) and I want to run the following:

* Intel Entry Server Motherboard SE7221BK1-E
* Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz
* 2x1GB Kingston DDR2 PC5300 RAM
* SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 port SATA controller
* Adaptec 1210SA 2 port SATA controller
* Netgear 802.11G Wireless PCI card
* Seven 80mm fans, one 120mm fan, one blue cold cathode
* Seagate 7200.10 80GB drive & Eight Seagate 7200.10 320GB drives
* ASUS DVD-ROM & ASUS CD-RW drives

Am I good or is something going to explode. :confused:

The eXtreme PSU calc says I "need" like 460w...
 
Get rid of the cold cathode that inverter is doing you no favors. Oh and your post has been up less than a day.
 
Get rid of the cold cathode that inverter is doing you no favors. Oh and your post has been up less than a day.

Sorry I usually get responses pretty fast around here. I just wanted to know kinda quick cause I was making a trip to the local store for some parts and was gonna pick something up better if need be. :(

BTW, how much power does a cold cathode usually use anyways? :confused:
 
Is there a UL number? It's that number underneath the logo with the "U" and reversed "R".

But since it's chosen by SuperMicro, there's a good chance that your PSU will not blow up.
 
Sorry I usually get responses pretty fast around here. I just wanted to know kinda quick cause I was making a trip to the local store for some parts and was gonna pick something up better if need be. :(

BTW, how much power does a cold cathode usually use anyways? :confused:

The problem is the inverter is super dirty electrically.
 
They also have a tendency to melt/smoke/explode. After the show stuff I've worked on I will never have one of those in one of my boxes... especially a server!
 
Can't really speak for that power supply per say but you should be able to run that off it.
 
Alright, cold cathode will only exist for picture taking / showoffs, otherwise it will be off.

And I guess this power supply should do. I've not heard anyone say otherwise.

Thanks all.
 
Back
Top