Quick help: Opteron 146 or 3700+

Uhm, you do realise they're the same thing, right? Except, the 3700+ has an extra multiplier over the 146. The only reason I'd get the 146 over the 3700+ is because it's cheaper (there are no 1.8GHz/2GHz A64's with 1MB cache). Three users over @ my forums got processors at the same time. Two got Opterons, one got a 3700+. One Opteron and the 3700+ both came from retail outlets, and the one Opteron was purchased from eBay, and had a slightly older stepping. Guess what? They all overclocked the same, ~2.8GHz. :p I have an Opteron 165 arriving tomorrow, but again, that's because there are no 1.8GHz 1MB of cache per-core A64's...lowest is the 4400+.

 
I do realize that they are essentially the same processor however the 3700+ has a higher default multiplier. I guess I am leaing towards the 3700+ as I can always lower the multiplier while OC'ing. Anything else to keep in mind?
 
the opteron 146 seems to overclock a little better if you get a good stepping, I had a cab2e 0604epaw that did 3.0 @1.475v in the bios, I'd go for the opty
 
After more thinking and a bit more researching I went with the opty. Hopefully I am not stuck with a dud.
 
Personally, I would have went with the 11x multi for an extra $1 :cool: .
 
Looks like I am prime stable with the with the 146 @ 2700 with 1.4 vcore. So far so good.. we'll see how high this puppy can go. What have your experiences been with the 146?

/edit

Temps are pretty good too.. so far highest I have seen is 41C with the Big Typhoon HSF.
 
Newegg is a bit overpriced on that but I'd have gone for the Opteron too. Should overclock better than the 3700+.
 
Back
Top