Quick & easy HTPC

So, unless im too tired to do math.. that is $370 with shipping minus tax? Not too shabby, could save a few here and there on the hard drive and dvd drive, but that is part of the waiting game... cant always do that when its for someone else :(

So, unless im too tired to do math.. that is $370 with shipping minus tax? Not too shabby, could save a few here and there on the hard drive and dvd drive, but that is part of the waiting game... cant always do that when its for someone else :(

Save some on the CD/Rom?? Thats the Cheapest one newegg has. & there is only 1 1tb 2.5" drive cheaper then the one I ordered, But since I am a fan of Samsung Drives I stuck with them.

For the lazy, mind summing up the parts beyond just a list of links?

Beyond what's listed was the os, and a remote control. The slimline to sata adapter.
Posted via Mobile Device

$12 shipping on that case is kind of lame, newegg wanted $6.98 to ship a $1.99 60mm fan today also, I think thier shipping calculator is a little too profit focused.

I like that case I wonder how hot it gets. I have an external ati tuner so that would work out for me.

Yeah I am kinds wondering that as well. Don't think I would put a full blown cpu into it.but the zocate should still stay nice and cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope that would require allot of work to do from my phone and I an too lazy to get off my lazy boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man I really want that case now but it seems to me that the fan on the cpu would get starved of air with the hdd and cdrom right over it. Let us know how it goes when you build it.

Yeah and I almost went for the passively cooled asus. But at a 65 dollar premium I figured it wasn't worth it. I am thinking though I can move that fan to the side of the hsf and still be cool enough. We will see though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking of using the same habey case and going for the ASUS board, but since the case has no fans (optional 50x10mm), the heat from the ASUS heatsink would just cook inside of it. I doubt I would be pushing the cpu when used as a htpc but it's a reason I haven't bought it yet.

Can you post back once you have it built? Would be a great help in seeing if I want the same case Thanks

the habey is built like a tank -- that lid is like a vault.

If you want to add 3.5" drives, you definitely want the 800 over the 600... it's a tight fit even with the 800.

the habey is built like a tank -- that lid is like a vault.

If you want to add 3.5" drives, you definitely want the 800 over the 600... it's a tight fit even with the 800.

Actually I think the 600 has more room for drives since there is no Optical Drive.

Actually I think the 600 has more room for drives since there is no Optical Drive.

even when I remove the optical drive holder from the top interior panel, there is only room for the thickness of one 3.5" drive (thus two 3.5" drives if I make my own panel) above the motherboard... anything more is hdd to ram contact. The 600 is 18mm shorter, so I'd imagine you're pretty much limited to 2.5" drives in that case. Dunno why they say 1x 3.5" drive on their spec sheet... now, that being said, I don't have a 600 in front of me to fiddle with, just the 800.

even when I remove the optical drive holder from the top interior panel, there is only room for the thickness of one 3.5" drive (thus two 3.5" drives if I make my own panel) above the motherboard... anything more is hdd to ram contact. The 600 is 18mm shorter, so I'd imagine you're pretty much limited to 2.5" drives in that case. Dunno why they say 1x 3.5" drive on their spec sheet... now, that being said, I don't have a 600 in front of me to fiddle with, just the 800.

lol ram contact wont be an issue.. Did you look at the ram I ordered?

lol ram contact wont be an issue.. Did you look at the ram I ordered?

lol, yeah -- tiny.

I don't think you're going to have any issues, especially since you're using a 2.5" drive, but for me w/ 2x 3.5" drives the 800 is my only option (and that is with tossing out the optical drive).

other odd note, is your optical bezel white? I got a black case w/ a white optical bezel... weird.

I havent received mine yet, But the bezel in the newegg pics is white so I would assume so.

Wow that case is nice great find, can't find any reviews so post back as soon as you can please

So, I've been digging through the Habey 800B a little bit more trying to decide if I wanted to just mod MKVWhore or make a second system.

Some things I have noted:

- With a motherboard that is the same height as the IO bracket (i.e. the Asus E35M1-I Deluxe), you have the following options with the standard drive mount that is included with the case (no modding):
  • 1x optical drive + 1x 2.5" drive (2x if you just DS tape them there)
  • 2x 2.5" drives (4x if you use DS tape instead of the screw mount points, 8x or maybe even 12x if you go insane and DS tape them all to each other)
  • 1x 3.5" drive (+2x 2.5" drives if you use DS tape)

- A half-height PCIe card won't fit vertically, there is a pillar for the lid mounting in the way of the card and the case is 4-5mm too short. It will fit if you use a 2U "right" PCIe riser card (left is away from the cpu, right is towards the cpu) or a flexible PCIe ribbon and cut a bracket hole above the IO plate. If you do this with a half-height card, you can still fit 1x 3.5" drive on the included mounting plate.

- My intel G2 SSD fits between the mobo and the wall of the case (on either side) if you take the black spacing ring off (but this blocks the side air vents). So, if you want to go 2.5" drive bananas, you can fit a metric crapton in the case around a E35M1-I Deluxe.

- The optical drive hole is not the same as on my SG06, the filler plate doesn't transfer. My case came with a white slot-bezel, so I'll probably just cut a piece of black anodized Al to fit the hole and glue it in.

- While case can be completely dismantled, you have to install the mobo with the baseplate attached to the sidewalls, since the button and the IO ports both overhang the wall slightly. (Or you can take off the power button if you really want to mount the mobo onto just the bottom plate w/ no walls).

- Again, this thing is bombproof, the Al is easily three times as thick as the lan-gear case (with the paint layers)

So, the build I'm going to make with this guy (MKVWhore Jr.) is going to be:
- Habey 800B + built in 120W DC-DC PSU & 60W power brick
- Asus E35M1-I Deluxe
- 2x2GB 1333mhz Kingston DDR3
- 1x Intel G2 80GB SSD
- 1x WD20EARS
- Hauppage 2250 TV Tuner

bastage, I'll be interested to see what you think of the case; I certainly think it's a great find.

What did you mean about the optical hole not being the same? as in a standard optical slim drive does not fill it?

no, it will, just that the plug that comes with the Sugo-06 is just slightly bigger than the hole in the Habey 800... I guess that means that there will be less gap around the drive in the Habey than the Sugo ;)

no, it will, just that the plug that comes with the Sugo-06 is just slightly bigger than the hole in the Habey 800... I guess that means that there will be less gap around the drive in the Habey than the Sugo ;)

Are you talking about using a slot loading drive?

Are you talking about using a slot loading drive?

No,

Here's what it came with:
2011-03-14000855.jpg

and when you rip that white BS off and try to add in a normal black opening filler from the SG06, it doesn't fit:
2011-03-14000953.jpg

So, I'm going to cut a piece of black anodized aluminum to fit the hole in the habey and plug it up ('cause the white plastic piece is fugly).

No,

Here's what it came with:
2011-03-14000855.jpg

and when you rip that white BS off and try to add in a normal black opening filler from the SG06, it doesn't fit:
2011-03-14000953.jpg

So, I'm going to cut a piece of black anodized aluminum to fit the hole in the habey and plug it up ('cause the white plastic piece is fugly).

Ahh so its standard size, but the filler you are trying to add is slightly too large?

yeah, that seems to be the issue -- I might grab one off ebay and see if that fits the bill

bastage -- when you get your system all set up, can you check your psu rail voltages w/ hwmonitor for me? I'm getting some seriously wacky readings from this habey psu.

bastage -- when you get your system all set up, can you check your psu rail voltages w/ hwmonitor for me? I'm getting some seriously wacky readings from this habey psu.

I can take a look. But I wouldn't trust its results much. I have never had any faith in software monitoring.

I can take a look. But I wouldn't trust its results much. I have never had any faith in software monitoring.

Agreed here- it's not even worth looking at software voltage readings. Need a proper voltmeter/multimeter for that.

Agreed here- it's not even worth looking at software voltage readings. Need a proper voltmeter/multimeter for that.

Here's a question, which do you trust, one multimeter says 12.01, software says 12.02, other mulitmeter says 12.03? :p I had this happen, my bios says 12.02 and I used two different multimeters and got above and below. The difference isnt that big so I guess it's not a big deal. :p

I got it together. And I will never look back on a q07 again & say it was small. This thing is flat fucking tiny. I actually stopped like a dozen times durring install & went "there aint no fucking way thats gonna fit) but amazingly enough everything fits like a glove. I Did slap in a 50mm fan, Wish I had the case in hand before hand as it will actually take bigger (60 I think).

Got any temps for us? Looks nice I want one but since the new amd low end specs were revealed I think I would use one of those instead for htpc since I'm waiting till summer anyways to upgrade mine.

no temps yet. But I did pull out the extra 50mm fan. POS started smoking on me.. Damn I hate buying local. Spent 13 fucking dollars on it too.

no temps yet. But I did pull out the extra 50mm fan. POS started smoking on me.. Damn I hate buying local. Spent 13 fucking dollars on it too.

Boo :(

The habey's form factor is reaaaaaaally sweet, but the styling of the vent holes and button in the middle are so bleah. Good to hear that the chassis itself is solid though.

Boo :(

The habey's form factor is reaaaaaaally sweet, but the styling of the vent holes and button in the middle are so bleah. Good to hear that the chassis itself is solid though.

haha So Yeah solid.. Uhmm so I had it sitting on the dresser in front of my LCD in my bedroom & I was in my office installing the new HDD's I just got into my server (3x 2tb samsung's, woot) and I hear a crash.. My Daughter comes running out of my room covering her ass screaming "it was an accident". Sure enough the case hit the ground from about 4.5'.. Well the good news, nothing was damaged. At all. Still going to run a full HDD scan to be sure, but the case is built like a brick. Being an Avid Lian Li Supporter I am well versed in the likes of aluminum cases. But the Habey is DAMN SOLID. The aluminum is easily 2x as thick as what I am used to in Lian Li Cases.

What I can tell you is that the tems are not getting too high. The whole case is still cool to the touch after windows updates & such where as my last 2 lian li SFF cases got warm all the way around after very little.

Back