Quick coolant question

prasvt

Gawd
So in the FAQ they say using distilled water w/o any additives is best (provided I clean/prep the wc parts properly first). The swiftech kit I'm getting today comes w/ a bottle of coolant, so should I just not mess w/ it? I bought 2 gallons of distilled water ...so I'm good if I just use that to run the wc system right?

I wouldn't do that your asking for algae growth

personally, I prefer an non cunductive fluid like feser fluid or fluid xp, but that is me.

You should at the very least getting an anti-algae and/or water wetter

I was all set to say, right - just run the water, but I looked at swiftech pumps for giggles as I have not visited the site since I bought my GPU block. There I found the note where they recommend (duh!!! like they would not recommend it ;) ) using their additive in the coolant with their pumps. Sooooooo that puts me on the spot.

---------------------------

The premixed stuff is usually not too bad, its most likely 98% water anyway. People seem to get into trouble "mixing their own" either by putting in too much additives or a combination of additives that dont play well together.

OOPS, you talking about HydrX ? (additive - 1 bottle to 33 oz water)

hmm, well my personal thinking goes like this.

I do not care much for it but it most likely will not hurt if you mix it per instructions and since Swiftech recommends it with use of their pumps using it can eliminate any questions if you have trouble with pump life. If you have anything alum (plated or anodized still counts) in the loop use it, end of story,

So just to be more confusing, no I would not use it, mainly because they do not say what is in it other than green dye and I run all copper systems. But if you were my customer I would recommend that you use it to avoid any issues with the pump warranty and to follow the manuf recommendations.

Basiclly I am willing to take chances with pump life, warranty questions and basically eat the pump for myself, but as a responsible consultant I will not/should not give you that advice or put you in that postion.

Well, none of the reviews on newegg had anything bad to say about it. Someone suggested a uv light since the coolant is reactive ...but that's about it.

Okay, finished the build about an hour or two ago...idl'ing at stock @ 28/29/28/30C. Also did the bolt mod and pwm temps are a bit lower. considering it's about 80F in here, temps are nice. Anyway I decided to use the HydrX or whatever ...mixed it w/ distilled water. So far so good...though a bigger case would have made life a little easier.

Back