Quick and Dirty Grado mod... FOR FUN! 56k death

FooTemps

Limp Gawd
lol, so I was sitting around trying to figure out a way to get my Grado to fit more comfortably on my head. I have Bowl pads and RatShack comfies and an old set of Aiwa circumaural cans. So I got to thinking... MOD TIME!

Okay, first up, the butchered Aiwa Cans...
aiwa1.jpg

aiwa2.jpg

aiwa3.jpg

As you can see, I already removed the pads from the housings...

Now here are my bowls + the pads.
pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

pad3.jpg

I attached the pads to the bowls via 2 sided tape. The 2-sided tape also provides as a "black tape mod" which helps boost the bass. I don't really hear much difference but it's 10 times more comfortable.

And finally, pics on the SR225s with the pads...
final1.jpg

final2.jpg

If you guys wanna know, the pads came off of the Aiwa HP-X223. They were 15 dollars at best buy last time I saw them.

And now for a comparison!
Alright, so I just decided to do a quick comparison of just the longs on my current playlist (which all suck for demoing and doing comparisons. I'm listening to hip hop right now, lol.)...

Artists
N.E.R.D.
Common
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
De La Soul
Jay-Z

Now I know these aren't very good for demoing but I was too lazy to change CDs...:p But onto the comparison...

Bass
Amazingly, the mod pads have more bass presense at lower frequencies, probably due to the pads sealing the foam similarly to an electrial tape mod. As a downside though, the mod pads have a weaker bass extension. You have to strain to hear details you used to hear.
The comfy pads on the other hand, you can hear the bass details better. The bass presense is weaker, which is odd since the driver is closer with the comfies on. The comfies are umodded so maybe the bass is just muddy right now.
They still share a very similar level of detail in the bass you can hear.
edit: After a quick reposition of the cans, the bass presense is even better and the extension is almost on par with the old bowls and comfies. I read some reviews about the C-pads that Headphile makes and they said "mess with the positioning since the driver is further away". It worked on my pad mod too.
Mid
This is the big difference between these pads. The mod pads have way less punch than the comfies in this area. The detail is there but there isn't enough fun with the mod pads.
edit: Same as the bass, after moving the the cans around on my head, I found a place where the mids improved. The mod pads still pale in comparison to reverse bowls and comfies.
High
This is where the mod pads shine. The highs are much more improved due to the chamber. They sound better and you can also hear more detail. You do need to adjust the volume though, the mod pads are overall more quiet compared to the comfies.
The comfies have a reputation of having rolled off highs if you don't mod them which I found very true for them. The highs seemed worse all around compared to the mod pads.

Overall
The added comfort and added highs and bass of the mod pads have won me over. They sound great to me and they also don't hurt my ears anymore. Wearing Supraaural headphones hurts my ears since I wear glasses, the circumaural mod helps relieve pressure. I'd highly reccomend modding your bowls to circumaural if you hate the way your bowls feel/sound.

Update!
Okay, I decided to try out the mod pads on reversed bowls. THE MIDS ARE BACK! The highs aren't as awesome as before... but now the mids are back and kickin it! The bass extension is improved over the normal mod pads too.

Nice stuff bro! My Audio Technica's are already the most comfortable headphones in the world, but if I ever buy a Grado, I'll be referring back to this thread.

How is the fit? Do they still clamp down nicely, or are they loose?

Looks like they jet out too much and would cause too much sound to bounce around between the space from the driver to the ear pads. Still, they look a little more comfortable (though I'm still not fond of fake leather pads).

Creative to say the least!

Acutally the air chamber is better this way. The my ears fit in the pads so the end of the pad is flush with my ear so the sound chamber is still the Grado intended size.

The fit is perfect. They comfy yet tight enough to still headbang if I wanted to!

Added an update to the 1st post about a variation on my pad mod.

reversed bowl + aiwa pad = even more awesome

Awesome mod. I was gunna drop $100+ on the headphile c-pads, but I may give this a shot.

Back