Quick advice on quieter CPU fan?

Ceph92

Limp Gawd
I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (evo?) adn it's running a little loud. I think it's a problem with my old computer (AMD Ph2 X6 AM3) and the thermal management in Win10 (or simply because it's tweaked), so the fan runs a lot faster than it should. I think this mobo is so old that it doesn't actually have win10 drivers, so "cool and quiet" isn't actually working.

A fan controller seems like a bad idea for CPU fan, but I could get a quieter fan. What should I look at? What should I be careful of?

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (evo?) adn it's running a little loud. I think it's a problem with my old computer (AMD Ph2 X6 AM3) and the thermal management in Win10 (or simply because it's tweaked), so the fan runs a lot faster than it should.

A fan controller seems like a bad idea for CPU fan, but I could get a quieter fan. What should I look at? What should I be careful of?
I find the Noctua fans to be silent. I never hear them.

What are your temps? Have you noticed an increase which is causing the fan to spin up? What is your fan curve?

The #1 reason for a loud fan is dust buildup. The reason #2 is aging thermal paste.

Reactions: AP514
like this
Could possibly be a bad bearing also. If the heatsink is as old as that stup, it may be time to invest the $15-20 into something newer.

There's no dust buildup. I'll check the CPU temps when back in windows, but right now it's mining crypto with GPU only (nicehash OS) but the cpu fan is still spinning in a very non-silent way.

In this case I want the max speed to be tolerable. How low in RPM or CFM is too low when selecting a CPU fan?

How high is the CPU utilization? And temperature? Maybe that fan is spinning up for a reason.

Reactions: AP514
like this
Yes, correct header. The fan and cooling optimizaiton worked fine when I originally set up the machine under win7. This is an old mobo - Asus M785 and has no drivers for win10. It dosn't matter what the CPU utilization is.

I find the Noctua fans to be silent. I never hear them.

What are your temps? Have you noticed an increase which is causing the fan to spin up? What is your fan curve?
I'm not using any custom fan curve.... the utility that ran on this mobo isn't available for win10 (afaik). Atm I'm running a linux gpu hashminer (presumably very low cpu), but there might be an available shell command to tweak the fan speed (or curve), just not sure what it is.

The Noctua at full speed is barely audible? Any particular Noctua? They have several lines and price ranges. I see one for $12 and one for $30. Also speeds for 1300rpm and one for 2000rpm, but not sure if 1300 is too low or has too little headroom.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A12x25-chromax-Black-swap-Premium-Quiet/dp/B09C6DQDNT
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-redux-1300-high-Performance-Award-Winning-Affordable/dp/B07CG2PGVG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're running NHOS, you're going to have to set up a fan curve in bios (if possible). I doubt you'll be able to do it via software in the OS.

I looked for a way to adjust the fan curve in bios and discovered that the "smart q-fan function" was disabled. Everything appears fine now. Thanks for all your help.

Back