Questions on dual channel...

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I have been thinking about upgrading to a Abit NF7 board to do some overclocking (damn no AGP lock on my board) and to get dual channel ram. Everywhere Iook, it says Dual Channel DDR400. Does this mean you need PC3200 ram to run dual channel. I just bauth a gig of XMS 2700, and want to run it dual channel, is this possable?

Also, while this is a bit off the topic at hand, for anyone that has a NF7, does it have an AGP lock? (locked CPU means im doing fsb bumping only, no multiplyers).

Yea you should be ok there. You can also adjust the AGP bus to your liking, from 66 to 132 mhz i believe. The NF7 bios is one of the most comprehensive ive seen.

I dont own one, but i sold a bare bones kit with one in it. I was quite impressed. I looked around in the bios a bit, and let it idle for awhile.

To run your memory in dual channel mode on the NF7 your gig of ram must be two 512MB sticks of XMS pc2700, exactly the same. if you're running your fsb at 333mhz on the NF7 then the pc2700 should be running on spec.

maxxo said:
To run your memory in dual channel mode on the NF7 your gig of ram must be two 512MB sticks of XMS pc2700, exactly the same. if you're running your fsb at 333mhz on the NF7 then the pc2700 should be running on spec.

Yeah, I have 2x512MB of PC2700, its a dual kit. My processor is a 2500+, so its 333fsb (althought not for long, OC time) I just wanted to make sure I didnt need PC3200 RAM to run dual channel

where do you peeps get your nforce2/3 news ? nforcershq is the resource.
there seems to be alot of confusion about running ram in dual channel and how.
first of all dual channel can occur with any amout/size of ram, the part that people get confused about is the actual placement of said ram. Most nf2 boards require at least slots one and three to be occupied to enable dual channel. most have three slots but there may be some with four, but i cant recall now.
the problem occurs when you begin to creep toward 200 fsb at 1:1.
200 could happen depending on the ram... maybe. But 200-225 is usually out of the question , which is a maybe if you have 3200 to begin with. GL

Back