• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Questions about racing games for PC

biggles

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
2,225
1. What are the best online racing games for PC? I just got GTR 2 but didn't see many folks online, maybe since the game is too new...
2. Tried the Flatout demo this past weekend and it rocks, but the reviews are only above average. Is this game underrated? Is Flatout 2 better than the first one?
3. Gamepad seems to work best for arcade racing, steering wheel for sims, yes? Example, I struggled with Toca 3 using a wheel and it was a lot easier with a ps2 pad. GTR 2 was easier with wheel (black momo).
4. Are racing sims like GTR 2 and GT Legends more dependent on the cpu rather than the gpu, since the sim aspect is mostly physics, and that is calculated with the cpu?
 
Flatout 2 is brilliant fun.
Its like a cross between Burnout and Need For Speed Underground.
I use a modded XBox gamepad on my PC, its a really nice solution.
The XBox 360 controllers work on the PC and are reported to be good.
Can I ask what wheel you used?

The games are more dependant on your graphics card for framerate.
with a C2D you have no issues.
 
If you want sim go with TOCA or something , if u want arcady go with nfs:mw, or flatout 2, also get a gampepad, and any decent processor (3000+ 64 amd or intel 3+ghz) will do fine for running any rcing game, as the physics are pretty general and dont stress the cpu much, more stress on the grphx card, get a nie grphx card though
 
Chernobyl1 said:
Flatout 2 is brilliant fun.
Its like a cross between Burnout and Need For Speed Underground.
I use a modded XBox gamepad on my PC, its a really nice solution.
The XBox 360 controllers work on the PC and are reported to be good.
Can I ask what wheel you used?

The games are more dependant on your graphics card for framerate.
with a C2D you have no issues.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=6030
Logitech MOMO racing wheel, it's pretty good except the pedals slide. I had to put a box between the pedals and the wall to keep it in one place, now it works fine.

I might pickup Flatout 2 next, especially if there is anyone online since this game looks like a lot of fun with multiplayer.
 
It took me a while to get used to my steering wheel too (Act-Labs Force RS) but I prefer using a joypad as the wheel cant be setup easily when your sofa is 3 feet off the floor lol.
 
Flatout 2 is awesome and I liked the first one as well. I think there is something related to starforce and Flatout2...not sure anymore but I thought i remember hearing something.
 
Flatout 2 rocks. Personally, I am very much anticipating Test Drive Unlimited and NFS Carbon.
 
biggles said:
1. What are the best online racing games for PC? I just got GTR 2 but didn't see many folks online, maybe since the game is too new...
2. Tried the Flatout demo this past weekend and it rocks, but the reviews are only above average. Is this game underrated? Is Flatout 2 better than the first one?
3. Gamepad seems to work best for arcade racing, steering wheel for sims, yes? Example, I struggled with Toca 3 using a wheel and it was a lot easier with a ps2 pad. GTR 2 was easier with wheel (black momo).
4. Are racing sims like GTR 2 and GT Legends more dependent on the cpu rather than the gpu, since the sim aspect is mostly physics, and that is calculated with the cpu?


1. rFactor and LFS have the best net code but GTR 2 is definiatly the most fun to race online on the simulator side of things.

2. Flatout is excellent. Liked the physics in Flatout better then in the sequel. Still I would recommend to get FlatOut 2 great tracks, destruction derby. It´s console damaged to no end so multiplayer mode stinks... Console damaged all around but still manages to be fun.

3. gamepads works of course the best for the arcade racers like Flatout, NFS and the likes.

4. GTR 2 do make good use of your video card but if you race in wet weather and at night the CPU gets important. The light effects, shadows and reflection effects cost cpu clock cycles.
 
If you are looking for online racing, check out Trackmania Nations. The game is free and there are 6-7k people online playing at any given time. There are literally hundreds of thousands people registered, so it has become pretty popular. Addicting game (for me at least).
 
Another vote for Flatout 2... I love it. I picked up GTR2 also, but I am having a hard time getting into it for some reason.
 
I cant believe Live for Speed hasnt been mentioned yet! A thread about online racing sims without mention of LFS is just blasphmey!

I will say it again, IMO LFS is the most realistic online racing sim to date. There are a lot of leagues that make online racing very fun and competitive and theres always a couple dozen servers up and running, both drift and grip racing.

If your not sure about the game, just download the demo. Take a few laps in the XR GT Turbo on Blackwood, its a very fun track!

Another cool feature is www.lfsworld.net which is basically their onlnie stats tracking system. It tracks gas used, laps done, miles driven, fastest laps for each car on each track, races won, its very cool :)

My stats:
Travelled distance: 8519 Ml
Fuel burnt: 5270 Ltr
Laps: 3133

Thats a lot of money in gas, glad its just a game :p
 
Pkirk618 said:
Flatout 2 is awesome and I liked the first one as well. I think there is something related to starforce and Flatout2...not sure anymore but I thought i remember hearing something.

No Starforce in the US version of Flatout 2. And yes the game is a lot of fun.
 
my question is, when is another great rally racing game gonna come out?? Colin Mcrae Rally 04 was the last one that seemed to hit it perfect.

But I agree Flatout 2 is a great game from an arcade standpoint.
 
Back
Top