Questions about mounting my pump.

wilson82

n00b
Hey guys, Im at the final stages of my watercooling setup and am now trying to figure out how to place my pump inside my case. Is it a bad idea to place my pump ontop of my harddrive enclosure at the front of my case. I have a feeling that the vibrations the pump gives off could be enough to possibly corrupt my harddrives when information is being written to them or cause them to fail. I have the Coolermaster Stacker 810. Another place i was thinking about mounting the pump was on the roof of my case, i have soo much space up there. Does a pump perform just as well when it is upside down?
Come to my aid watercoolin experts!

What pump ? I am with you on the HD location, even if it did not cause an immedate issue the vibrations are not good no matter how "quiet" the pump was.

Dont want to comment about upside down till I knew what pump.

Even if on roof, its easy to rig up some vibration damping hardware and I recommend doing it where ever you mount it.

Good hardware store will have rubber washers and maybe sheet rubber (or closed cell fairly dense foam sheet, need to be inventive here)

edit oh, and the sexy black metric hex head cap screws look hella better than stock mounting hardware if your pump came with nuts bolts screws.

screw head
large flat washer
rubber washer
case
rubber sheeting (maybe two layers depending on thickness available)
pump bracket
rubber washer
large flat washer
lock washer
nut (jam type nut with plastic insert works great)

This is the basic stack, modify based on where you want the screwheads vs the nuts etc.

make holes in case larger than screws so they dont rub the case. Just snug screws the locking type jam nut will keep the hardware in place, check it after running the pump a bit. You can actually "feel" the case for vibrations as you snug the nut and snug for best "feel" without the pump jumping around etc.

anyway you probally get the idea, can really help. And even with above I dont like the pump near the HD's.

Most pumps work in any orientation, unless the INLET is facing towards the ground...

They need some sort of gravity to feed and prime the pump.

Back