Question...

o3jox

n00b
If I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822152020
SATA harddrive, because I have a hunch that my current ide western digital HD that I got last year is about to fail, would I be able to still boot windows using IDE hd and windows recognizing the sata hard drive. does it work like that? If you dont get what I am asking basically if I have an IDE hard drive, and I attempt to install a SATA hard drive will I be able to boot windows up so that it recognizes both hard drives, also could I configure them for a RAID array so when the IDE drive does fail in the coming future my SATA drive will take all of the data.

my mobo
GA-K8NS Ultra - 939 nforce 3 ultra chipset by gigabyte;
vid
6600gt
ram
1gb

thanks alot guys!
-arlando

You shouldn't have any problem getting Windows to recognize your SATA HDD. Just plug it in and copy files to your new HDD. Probably what I would do is reinstall Windows on your new HDD and then put your old one in and copy the files you need off of it.

As for a RAID array. You might be able to run a RAID1 to mirror your old drive to your new one. I'm not sure though because I don't know the size of your first drive, etc.

I'd install Windows on your new drive and copy the files as needed onto your new drive from your old one. Not necessarily the most efficient, but if you have doubts about the integrity of your old drive, better get it done sooner than later. RAID doesn't seem to be a good option since you have different size drives.

Back