Question regarding DDR5 vs DDR4.

scott41

n00b
Trying to decide on DDR5 vs. DDR4 on new build. Looking at these kits we find

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 32 2x16 4800 17 1.6V 7.08333 ns F4-4800C17D-16GVK $269.99
OLOy Blade RGB DDR5 32 2x16 4800 40 1.1V 16.66667 ns ND5U1648400BRKDE $279.99
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 32 2x16 5200 40 1.1V 15.38462 ns 5200U4040A16GX2-RS5K $279.99

For the DDR4 and the OLOy kits, they both run at 4800 but wouldn't the DDR5 be slower due to the latency? And would the 5200 be faster than the DDR 4 4800
even though it has higher latency?

DDR4 should be faster than DDR5 at this stage but wait for reviews because if you are choosing for a platform that supports both it is possible that it is tuned to DDR5 and will perform badly with DDR4 despite it being superior at the moment.

From what I've seen on the subject, DDR4 is faster than DDR5 as the same speed and with current processors but there's not a lot out there in terms of real testing so take that with a grain of salt. As dasa mentioned, there is something to be said for future proofing or leaving an upgrade path. Though I'd imagine you could save some money y going with DDR4 and a DDR4 mobo and put it into something more important, but if money is no object then go nuts.

Looks like the upgrade to DDR5 is going to be a big deal. I cant find a estore selling the stuff.

Last edited:
From the little that I know, it is different enough in how it work that bandwidth and latency numbers could be misleading (the strategy to send data from the ram to the cpu did change a bit), i.e. feel like need to wait for reviews to know.

Except for the price is not an issue build, would be surprising if the early adopter price is worth it

Last edited:

That has to be the most useless video on the topic. It tells you NOTHING about the parts being used. He gives his specs in the description for DDR5, but nowhere does it tell you what he's using for DDR4. The kicker is he's throwing DDR3 in there, so obviously they can't be the same with only the memory changed because there are several CPUs and MBs being used. Plus, other posters have talked about the different IQ settings used in the video.

I guess actually reading some of the responses, it sounds like it was a 4790k, an 11900k, and a 12900k. So absolutely no way to see what's the benefit of the new CPU architecture and what's the DDR5 advantage.

Except for the price is not an issue build, would be surprising if the early adopter price is worth it

Exactly...

As an early DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4 adopter, I see no reason why this early adopter tax will change with DDR5. You're going to have to wait a year before you get faster speeds, lower latencies, and lower prices. Then you will start to see the difference.

From the little that I know, it is different enough in how it work that bandwidth and latency numbers could be misleading (the strategy to send data from the ram to the cpu did change a bit), i.e. feel like need to wait for reviews to know.
This

That has to be the most useless video on the topic. It tells you NOTHING about the parts being used. He gives his specs in the description for DDR5, but nowhere does it tell you what he's using for DDR4. The kicker is he's throwing DDR3 in there, so obviously they can't be the same with only the memory changed because there are several CPUs and MBs being used. Plus, other posters have talked about the different IQ settings used in the video.

I guess actually reading some of the responses, it sounds like it was a 4790k, an 11900k, and a 12900k. So absolutely no way to see what's the benefit of the new CPU architecture and what's the DDR5 advantage.
I was thinking the same thing. The avg. is almost the same on all 3 as well. Sometimes these idiots on YT have no clue what they're doing.

Back