Question re: non-student buying Adobe academic versions

rush24t3

2[H]4U
Hi all:

A friend of mine IM'd me telling me she wants to nab one of the cheap CS4 suites using a college friend's academic credentials. I took the high road, telling her she should be honest and just save up to buy the proper suite she is eligible to purchase, but she needs more convincing and I thought if I could get some additional solid info to dissuade her, it would.

Could a person even do this scheme? If she gave the money to that student to buy the suite, wouldn't that student have to register it anyway? And I know Adobe checks the license via the internet, so wouldn't they know if it's not coming from a school IP or the like?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't think they would base it by IP address, because what if a student lives off campus? Then it would be getting registered with a non-school IP address, even though they are a student.

it's against the EULA I'm sure.
could she get away with it? Probably.

Last time I bought something through with student credentials I bought it through a website (JourneyEd), they ask for school IDs, names, etc. They have to certify information with the school (to see if you are a student of a qualifying school) but if your friend has access to your student credentials she should be able to get access to their stock easy.

It won't matter where the software is used but the EULA will likely state that it is unlawful for that license to be used for professional purposes.

I know windows office (the Home and Student version, I don't know about the discounted (for students) Ultimate version) states you cannot use it for commercial purposes. In the titlebar!

Back