Question on Windows 7 Deployment

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
At work we are getting about 200 new Dell computers all the same model and spec. Would I need to sysprep these machines or can I just do a ghost image with out the sysprep step. I am assuming since all the hardware is the same, I should be ok in skipping sysprep.

Eh it looks like I still need too so each computer gets a unique SID. I have not done much sysprep in general but here for Windows 7 everyone is using the Windows Automated Installation Kit. Anyone with experience on Windows 7 deployment? Is WAIK the way to go? We will be using Symantec Ghost to push the image out if that makes a difference.

If you have access to server 2008, you might want to look into Windows Deployment Services.

Yeah I may look into installing that role. We have Ghost at work and trying to stay with that. Basically I just installed Windows System Image Manager on my workstation to play around with it and following the guide Microsoft lists in the installation program.

I understand what it is doing. My question is, if I make the unattended.xml file, boot into that, put all the programs I need on the image, run: c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

Then I use Ghost to capture an image, would this work, or do I need to finish the installation with WinPE and imagex?

How would activation be handled on something like this on a smaller scale? Let's say I have 30 PCs, which are one of three configurations...two laptops and one tower...all Dell's with Intel chipsets. Would I create the install meant to be imaged, and then run Sysprep, or enter the key, activate, and then run Sysprep? I bought 35 licenses through TechSoup as part of Software Assurance, so I was only given one key.

Yeah I may look into installing that role. We have Ghost at work and trying to stay with that. Basically I just installed Windows System Image Manager on my workstation to play around with it and following the guide Microsoft lists in the installation program.

I understand what it is doing. My question is, if I make the unattended.xml file, boot into that, put all the programs I need on the image, run: c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

Then I use Ghost to capture an image, would this work, or do I need to finish the installation with WinPE and imagex?

That would work, once its shutdown reboot into media and capture the image with whatever program you want. Though if you want to use mnore powerful tools like WDS/MDT you should capture as WIM. You will also need to add /unattend:<path to unattend.xml> to that sysprep command.

DeaconFrost said:
How would activation be handled on something like this on a smaller scale? Let's say I have 30 PCs, which are one of three configurations...two laptops and one tower...all Dell's with Intel chipsets. Would I create the install meant to be imaged, and then run Sysprep, or enter the key, activate, and then run Sysprep? I bought 35 licenses through TechSoup as part of Software Assurance, so I was only given one key.
This is all handled through your answer file, since you only have one key, you can put it in your answerfile and the clients will register themselves as a part of setup. If you dont specify a key you can optionally have setup prompt for you.

Oh and yes you should alway always sysprep before imaging for deployment.

About the unique SID, here's an interesting article from the guy that wrote the NewSID tool basically saying it was never required in the first place. Good stuff, hard to believe after all these years of always generating a new SID
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

However, there are still some issues with other duplicate IDs, like the one WSUS uses, which is why sysprep is still needed, unfortunately. But really, WDS is the way to go if you need to image a bunch of machines. I don't have much experience, but I've watched a couple guys set it up at work, and seems like a breeze to use. Especially with stuff like the new Dynamic Driver feature, no problems to add missing drivers to an image later on.

Yeah looks like WDS is the way to go. Boss already said if we need to scrap Ghost that is ok, we kind of hate Ghost. I been reading up on creating custom images with WDS and it does seem pretty easy. Ill set up a test environment soon.

Wow after messing with WDS, I have to say I am impressed and like it much better that Ghost already. Now that I figured out how to do a unattended install of Win 7, time to learn how to create custom images which doesnt seem to hard to figure out.

No, the server end itself is really easy to setup and configure, not many options. I used this tutorial: http://sharepointgeorge.com/2009/windows-deployment-services-waik-and-windows-7-part1/

I am having problems though with a unattended install though. It doesnt configure any of the settings I configured in the OOBE or Specialized part of the answer file. Such settings im trying to configure are Registered Owner and Company, CD Key, and Administrator password.

I wonder if this is because I didnt configure a OS first and do the sysprep command. From what I understand though, a straightup clean, fresh install of Win 7 can be unattended as well, just can't figure out why it isnt. Anyone know if there are any logs stored anywhere on why it failed.

Here are all the log files: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583(WS.10).aspx .

you can use a syspreped image or fresh install. Its all about getting your unattend.xml file the way you want it and bug free which will take a few tries.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, figured as much. I just need to narrow down what part is failing. I have the WinPE configured right and it installs Win 7, then when it restarted and goes into configuring devices it just fails and I need to manually enter in Account Name, Computer Name, etc.

Quick question about audit mode. From what I understand, when you boot into audit mode, it allows you to install programs and drivers with the built in administrator account. Only way to leave audit mode is sysprepping the machine. Only question I have, if audit mode allows you to install drivers, I thought the point of sysprepping a machine is to strip the drivers from the system? Anyone able to go in more detail on this?

Bookmarked. I am deploying 125 laptops next month. I was going to go my normal fully automated ghost/sysprep route, but I'll have to look into this...

Quick question about audit mode. From what I understand, when you boot into audit mode, it allows you to install programs and drivers with the built in administrator account. Only way to leave audit mode is sysprepping the machine. Only question I have, if audit mode allows you to install drivers, I thought the point of sysprepping a machine is to strip the drivers from the system? Anyone able to go in more detail on this?

When you generalize a image you do remove the images association with devices but that does not mean you cant install drivers for the system to use durring setup for the machines the image will be applied to.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744510(WS.10).aspx

Personally I do not use audit mode. If I need to add drivers I would just do it offline using DISM. And I believe WDS in 2008 r2 gives you a gui for this as well.

When you generalize a image you do remove the images association with devices but that does not mean you cant install drivers for the system to use durring setup for the machines the image will be applied to.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744510(WS.10).aspx

Personally I do not use audit mode. If I need to add drivers I would just do it offline using DISM. And I believe WDS in 2008 r2 gives you a gui for this as well.

Ah that makes sense. Yeah I am really liking WDS. Been playing with it all weekend and can now do a straight deployment of Windows 7 or make my own custom image. Its pretty easy and I like it a lot. Now all I need to do is learn how to add drivers using WDS since this image will be deployed across 3 different Dell models and a HP model.

if you don't have 2008 r2 it is extremely easy to add any number of drivers to both your boot and windows images using the dism command on a windows 7 machine. Something you should definitely look into as you can do alot more than just add drivers.

if you don't have 2008 r2 it is extremely easy to add any number of drivers to both your boot and windows images using the dism command on a windows 7 machine. Something you should definitely look into as you can do alot more than just add drivers.

I do have 2008 R2. Which way do you suggest?

EDIT:
Just googled DISM, very interesting utility. May mess with it later once I get a standard deployment image going and then play with it.

Back