Question on NAS.

Kroz

2[H]4U
Hello all;

For a year now I have been running a FreeNAS system at home and for the most part it has given me no headaches. When I started I knew next to nothing about FreeNAS and muddled my way into a working server with the following setup: eVga 780i, E2200, 2 GB Ram, 2 * 2 TB Hard Drive, 2 * 1 TB Hard Drive, 2 * 500 GB Hard Drive. I setup each hard drive as a single mounted ZFS drive and allocated them as Movies, TV Shows, Music... Inefficient I know but I was all new to it.

So I just tore down my server as I needed the parts and i had some newer equipment to build a new server. I have been getting less and less satisfied with FreeNAS over the last few months and when I was backing up the info off the server I ran into problem after problem. I have decided that my new build will not use FreeNAS but that leaves me with 2 options. Windows Home Server or OpenIndiana.

Here is the hardware I have to build the Server:
Asus P5Q
Q6600 Underclocked to 1800MHz (Save Power, don't need the horsepower)
4 GB Ram (Upgrading to 8 GB soon)
2 * 2 TB Hard Drive
2 * 1 TB Hard Drive

Server will be used to store and stream media (everything from BluRay MKV to MP3's), store monthly hard drive images (2 laptops, and 4 computers), backup copy of all documents (Tax filing, resumes, writings... from the last 10 years) and holding my photo collection (I am an amateur photographer and have a 12 year collection).
Added functionally I would like to add; host a minecraft server, LAN Jukebox and torrent machine.

The more reading I do the more confused I get about the choice. I was set on OpenIndiana because of ZFS but with the tasks that I am looking to accomplish I think that WHS would work better. I don't plan on setting up a RAID or anything as I have a pair of 3GB externals to mirror the data I want to keep safe (Photos/Documents...)

Any Insight?

I am a semi-pro photographer. I went with ZFS because I have too many photos to check for corruption. A photo could set for 2 years without me looking at it. If it gets corrupted, I could easily write over my backups with corrupt files. I have a ZFS mirror in Open Indiana, I use napp-it to set up scrubs and snaps. I have crashplan running as a service, it backs up everything over night to my parents house.

If you want Windows home server for the backup features, run it inside Virtual Box. You could also run your minecraft server inside VirtualBox. It is very easy to use and set up.

Last I checked, there isn't a Minecraft server package available for Solaris or Unix. So if you really want to run a Minecraft server, your best bet might be Windows Home Server.

Though how comfortable are you with ESXi? If at all?

EDIT: LeftSide's plan also works.

Back