Question on my Intel Xeon Proc

mihai17xxy

n00b
Hi all,

I just built a new PC and I am pleased with it but I do not understand it

Processor Clock Speed 3.06GHz and Max Turbo Frequency 3.46GHz , I made the OverClock and I am running it at 4.20GHz (is that possible or is Cup-Z reading bad ? Link to Validate) I am running it for 4 days now made some 3dmark tests and dose not crush.

Video Crushes evry time I try to OD to 900MHz GPU and 1000MHz Memory Clock (default settings running ok at 800/800)

RAMs running at 504MHz ( I tried all settings in Bios with no result ) ,
I read on the internet that I need to multiply it x2 , even so it runs on 1008 out of 1333. Two more question here
- the MB supports 2000MHZ RAMs (in QVL Qualified Vendor List) but the Proc specs say Memory Types DDR3-800/1066/1333.
- and the other way around Proc supports 288GB RAMs and the MB only 24GB , with the new Bios exists any chance to recognize more ? I want to install 8GBx6slots @ 2000MHz.

Please help me with this . thx

Last edited:
I'm a n00b so this might be wrong!! ;)

Triple channel Memory son, you need 3 sticks right guys? Your running just 2? (lulz)

Try 850/850 on VC see if it will pass go up in 25 increments and test imho.

Of course it's OC'd CPU-z can't tell a lie? :D

As teletran said, processor is designed to be running triple channel memory (you need 3 sticks).
It is very unlikely you will need more than 24GB of ram and there is no chance that cpu could run 6 sticks at 2000MHz (there would be almost no noticeable difference vs 1333MHz anyway).
The ram is running at a different frequency because the bclk has been increased to overclock the cpu. There should be a setting in the bios to change the ram multiplier, just don't set the ram frequency higher than 1333MHz for now. Before overclocking the ram or graphics card, you need to test if the cpu is stable. Run a prime95 custom blend (use >85% of available ram) for at least 12 hours, preferably 24. Keep graphics card at stock and ram at or below stock frequencies until we know that the cpu overclock is stable.
Good luck and report back with how it goes.:)

yep, on the specs page of your motherboard it says:

6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Triple channel memory architecture

you should buy another stick of matching memory

I am running the Prime95 program now with no problem so far

Regarding RAMs I will use 4GBs x 6Slots @ 1333 and if I do not like it I will consider an upgrade to 8GBs X 6Slots @ 1333 (that if higher frequency is not possible :( )
And regarding Prime95 I want also to finish the test that will take several days.

Last edited:
Can you run cache latency benchmarks at stock settings? I'm curious about L3 Xeon caches.

The prime test doesn't appear to be maxing out all cores, make sure you selected torture test, custom, threads to run: 12 (because of hyperthreading) and memory to use approx 6GB.
Also, what are your temps like when stress testing?

Regarding 8GB DIMMs, there's a chance it will work. Usually RAM support lists only include the largest tested RAM DIMMs at the time of the motherboard revision's release.

Apart from the issues mentioned above, (and this may just be my own paranoia) I would be a little iffy on using a 600w PSU with a power-hungry CPU, a motherboard fully laden with RAM, and an overclocked video card. Of course, it depends on how efficient that PSU is, but it may be worth looking into your load levels & voltage stability when you have all of the RAM in.

x58 boards don't officially support 8gb dimms, but some people have had success running them, which makes me wish i had tried an 8gb dimm kit before maxing my board out with 6x4gb ram, oh well, have fun with your x58 setup!

The prime test doesn't appear to be maxing out all cores, make sure you selected torture test, custom, threads to run: 12 (because of hyperthreading) and memory to use approx 6GB.
Also, what are your temps like when stress testing?

Restarted the test with 12 logical CPU ( Threads I think) and 7365MBs RAMs (maxim that allows me.

CPU T it goes up and doun from 66 to 70 so far.

Apart from the issues mentioned above, (and this may just be my own paranoia) I would be a little iffy on using a 600w PSU with a power-hungry CPU, a motherboard fully laden with RAM, and an overclocked video card. Of course, it depends on how efficient that PSU is, but it may be worth looking into your load levels & voltage stability when you have all of the RAM in.
will do so thx :)

x58 boards don't officially support 8gb dimms, but some people have had success running them, which makes me wish i had tried an 8gb dimm kit before maxing my board out with 6x4gb ram, oh well, have fun with your x58 setup!
and
Regarding 8GB DIMMs, there's a chance it will work. Usually RAM support lists only include the largest tested RAM DIMMs at the time of the motherboard revision's release.
I wold like to take advantage of Max Memory Bandwidth 32 GB/s that the CUP can give.
I found this Youtube Video of an x58 chipset with 48GB RAM, and The result of the test
I also found this diagram , dont realy know if it helps :D

I read that I can try with one card 8GB, if it recognize it, I can Complete the slots
48GBs RAM Tested Stabel on X58

Last edited:
BTW that RAM, is it running at 1008*2 speed? What is saying CPU-Z?
my RAMs are running at 504MHz, I read on the internet that I need to multiply it x2 , so it runs on 1008 out of 1333

-----------

the test that I do I hope is the right one because it takes forever to end it :( in 21H and only 1,35%, tomorrow at this time I will end it ( I am very confident in this Processor :D will not fail me :p )
as I have only this PC now I am using it in the same time as the test runs, for some youtube and forum searching ( well about the same as normal and it responds without lag) maybe I should try a game too :D will that end bad for the test ?
I am anxious to use it , for 1 week I am only testing it :)

Last edited:
A standard testing is just 6 hours after you are satisfied with all settings in BIOS. Short testing is about 3 minutes.

Create snapshot of CPU-Z SPD tab, and Memory tab, just in case you missed something.
Also do that latency test.

Why are you torturing yourself? Run it at normal clocks for few days and enjoy it, then overclock.

A standard testing is just 6 hours after you are satisfied with all settings in BIOS. Short testing is about 3 minutes.

Create snapshot of CPU-Z SPD tab, and Memory tab, just in case you missed something.
Also do that latency test.

Why are you torturing yourself? Run it at normal clocks for few days and enjoy it, then overclock.

Latency , please tell me what thows nr. mean :)

and
Memory

Latency , please tell me what thows nr. mean :)

and
Memory
That latency test shows caches are at about i5-2xxx/i7-3xxx speed. Basically they are fast enough for this CPU. And the RAM (CPU-Z) test shows there is some problem with memory subsystem. (Which might be caused by using only dual channel on controller that expect three channel, or more likely some slight incompatibility between the RAM and X58 board.) Do you have 0301 BIOS?

BTW your CPU supports up to 288 GB RAM, thus you shouldn't have problems with a lot of RAM as long as your MB would support it as well.

If you feel brave try 3x this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104388
Or 1x this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104127
These should work better than what you have. Of course don't expect 1600 MHz, but it might work at 1333 MHz without problem at low voltage and latency.

That latency test shows caches are at about i5-2xxx/i7-3xxx speed. Basically they are fast enough for this CPU. And the RAM (CPU-Z) test shows there is some problem with memory subsystem. (Which might be caused by using only dual channel on controller that expect three channel, or more likely some slight incompatibility between the RAM and X58 board.) Do you have 0301 BIOS?

BTW your CPU supports up to 288 GB RAM, thus you shouldn't have problems with a lot of RAM as long as your MB would support it as well.

If you feel brave try 3x this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104388
Or 1x this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104127
These should work better than what you have. Of course don't expect 1600 MHz, but it might work at 1333 MHz without problem at low voltage and latency.
-----
thx for the help :) I think I will give it a try for 6x4G Kit :) thx a lot for the link

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

just to expand on these remark, from intel's website:
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)

dependant on memory type is key there, ECC, registered, and speed will all play a factor, make sure to do research before trying to throw 288gb at it ;) (or even > 24gb)

just to expand on these remark, from intel's website:

dependant on memory type is key there, ECC, registered, and speed will all play a factor, make sure to do research before trying to throw 288gb at it ;) (or even > 24gb)

I need ECC ? and my only wish whose to make inside 8Gx6 , to take advantage of the Max Memory Bandwidth 32 GB/s.

Is Intel® Turbo Boost Technology a good thing ? :D always fixing my Clock speed ?

Intel® QPI Speed 6.4 GT/s nr. of QPI Links 2 that means 2x 6.4GT/s or 2x 3.2GT/s ?
My CUP-Z is telling me that is working at 3024MHz.

No, don't get ECC ram. Also, you don't need six sticks to take advantage of maximum memory bandwidth on X58, you only need 3 sticks for triple channel operation. Unless you absolutely need 48GB of ram you would be better off getting 3 x 8GB sticks.
I still don't think that the prime test you are doing is the correct one, what you are doing there is testing for a specific prime number, not doing the custom blend test. There is no need to test for a week, 24 hours should be fine (48 tops).

No, don't get ECC ram. Also, you don't need six sticks to take advantage of maximum memory bandwidth on X58, you only need 3 sticks for triple channel operation. Unless you absolutely need 48GB of ram you would be better off getting 3 x 8GB sticks.
I still don't think that the prime test you are doing is the correct one, what you are doing there is testing for a specific prime number, not doing the custom blend test. There is no need to test for a week, 24 hours should be fine (48 tops).

I read somewhere that the processor would reach maximum potential 6xRAM (1 for each CPU I think)

No, it's 3-channel system, thus you need only 3 sticks for max potential. 6 slots are nice because you can buy RAM now, then wait for sale and save some money and buy 3 LARGE sticks later.

No, it's 3-channel system, thus you need only 3 sticks for max potential. 6 slots are nice because you can buy RAM now, then wait for sale and save some money and buy 3 LARGE sticks later.

problem is you can't buy a 3x8g kit, you'd either have to buy 3 individual 8gb sticks, which is going to more expensive, or buy 8gb sticks in pairs, 1 or 2 pairs at first. run in dual channel mode at first (or triple and just not use one stick). but at this point, you're spending enough, you may as well just buy 3 dual channel kits.

problem is you can't buy a 3x8g kit, you'd either have to buy 3 individual 8gb sticks, which is going to more expensive, or buy 8gb sticks in pairs, 1 or 2 pairs at first. run in dual channel mode at first (or triple and just not use one stick). but at this point, you're spending enough, you may as well just buy 3 dual channel kits.

What? I posted a link for a 3 channel kit.

It wasn't 3x8, it was 3x4 ;)

$441.00 If they can stock it. $429.99 for Kingston, but you'd need heatsinks for it.

$441.00 If they can stock it. $429.99 for Kingston, but you'd need heatsinks for it.

at the moment it is more than arm and leg for me but I have a friend and I will ask him if he can give me some sticks to test ::D I will post again lather with the result :D ;)

I have made the Prime Test

-
-
Some where on the way looks like this
-
-

-
-
I had to stop it a little early because I found in the result 5 x FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
-
-

-
-
wase running at 168x25
-
-
I am trying now at 161x25 wish me luck :D

Last edited:
no good in 24H I still got 1 error :(

[Tue May 14 19:35:48 2013]
Self-test 24K passed!
Self-test 1120K passed!
Self-test 24K passed!
Self-test 24K passed!
Self-test 32K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected

That looks like the correct prime test now, you are probably getting near to stability (it's not causing a bsod during the test). Try something around 155 x 25. For temperature monitoring use realtemp rather than Asus Ai suite.

That looks like the correct prime test now, you are probably getting near to stability (it's not causing a bsod during the test). Try something around 155 x 25. For temperature monitoring use realtemp rather than Asus Ai suite.
155x25 is 3875MHz only with 415 higher than Max Turbo Frequency 3.46 GHz I am running now the Prime test for more than 24H at 160x25 (4000MHz)and I am feeling lucky even if I get an error now is ok or not ? I am not planning just yet to use it more than 24H a day.

---

--

I will still run the test until tomorrow to see the some more results :) , thx all for helping me make my PC bather :)

Last edited:
Back