Question on GTX 460

BrettSchu

n00b
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
12
Im trying to build my first computer, and I settled on this as my graphics card, however, the GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card version is sold out, and I was wondering if there much of a difference between that one, and the 768 MB, 196-bit version. They are only 20 dollars cheaper, so Im wondering what the difference is. Any input would be appreciated.
 
The 1GB version will perform better at higher resolutions. If like gaming at 1080p I would lean more towards the 1GB version.
 
The 1GB version will perform better at higher resolutions. If like gaming at 1080p I would lean more towards the 1GB version.

The [H] review shows that the 1GB doesn't make much of a difference here, I would stick with the cheaper 768mb version.
 
Could you order the 1GB version somewhere else? The Galaxy 1GB version after bing cash back is the same price as the lowest cost 768MB version at newegg. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=6491184&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs Of course you could get a $200 768MB version for $173 after bing cash back. :p

I gave in and ordered the 1GB version from TD 5 minutes ago for $208 after BCB. The BCB transaction already shows in my account. :D
 
5870 FTW

but this is a nice card nvidia put out....too bad it's too late for me and my $400 i spent 3 weeks ago.
 
The [H] review shows that the 1GB doesn't make much of a difference here, I would stick with the cheaper 768mb version.

That's the case for TODAY. But a year from now, the 768MB card could be choking on games and running out of VRAM. Everyone remembers the 8800 GTS 320MB cards, which were cheap and performed nearly the same as their 640MB counterparts...until 6 months later when Crysis turned the gaming world upside-down.

We know that a card featuring this level of performance can take advantage of more than 512MB ram, but the question remains: can it make use of more than 768MB? Do you want to take that chance, just to save yourself $20?
 
That's the case for TODAY. But a year from now, the 768MB card could be choking on games and running out of VRAM. Everyone remembers the 8800 GTS 320MB cards, which were cheap and performed nearly the same as their 640MB counterparts...until 6 months later when Crysis turned the gaming world upside-down.

We know that a card featuring this level of performance can take advantage of more than 512MB ram, but the question remains: can it make use of more than 768MB? Do you want to take that chance, just to save yourself $20?

I too would go with the 1GB version but I really doubt that its going to provide a great deal of future proofing over the 756MB model.
 
5870 FTW

but this is a nice card nvidia put out....too bad it's too late for me and my $400 i spent 3 weeks ago.

I feel your pain as well. Even though I only spent $350.00 for my 5870 I'm salivating over the dual 460 768MB SLI performance for $400.00. Que sera, sera I suppose.

I wonder how well the 460's will handle being a PhysX only card? Hmm....
 
Go with the 1GB. I can't stress that enough. For a very, very in depth review behind the GTX 460's hardware, check this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king

Multi-monitor gaming is going to be very rough on the card with less memory. Also, it's not just the RAM that's been hacked down on the 768mb. This is the reason reviewers are crying foul on NVIDIA for keeping the same name for the GTX 460 76mb and 1gb version.
 
if you are going to go triple monitor, get the 1gb, otherwise get the 768mb
 
I would mainly want the 460 as a physx card. The question will the 1gb version offer any noticeable performance over the 768mb in a game like say Batman AA?
Also how much does overclocking improve physx perfomrance, if any?
 
I feel your pain as well. Even though I only spent $350.00 for my 5870 I'm salivating over the dual 460 768MB SLI performance for $400.00. Que sera, sera I suppose.

I wonder how well the 460's will handle being a PhysX only card? Hmm....

I'm with you - I am seriously considering selling my XFX 5870 if SLI 460 puts up similar performance. I -REALLY REALLY- miss using nHancer on my nVidia cards. If ATi had a similar application I would have zero complaints about my current card.
 
Go for the 1gb version, it will be better in the future. It doesn't just have more mem, and higher memory bus. it also has higher ROP count as well. I think 20 bucks is well worth the investment.
 
Back
Top