question: netgear DG834G v5 as external wifi antenna?

Velmik

n00b
Hi everyone,

I have good reception from my wifi internet provider only when I have my laptop at the window. And thats not very comfortable. I have netgear DG834G v5 (modem/router) at home. Do you think its possible to connect router through a cable with my laptop and catch internet over wifi inside the router and use the internet at my laptop? If so, how? )

So you just want to hook up your laptop to the router via ethernet?

So you just want to hook up your laptop to the router via ethernet?

well not just that, i need to be connected to my ISP over wifi from router and then need to get the signal via ethernet to my laptop

well not just that, i need to be connected to my ISP over wifi from router and then need to get the signal via ethernet to my laptop

You're making this more complicated than it sounds: Are you actually using an ISP that specifically only provides internet service via wifi? What ISP do you have?

Are you sure that you don't have just a regular ISP that provides internet via your netgear DG834G v5 router? If that was the case, all you had to do was hook up the laptop to the wireless router via ethernet and there you go.

You're making this more complicated than it sounds: Are you actually using an ISP that specifically only provides internet service via wifi? What ISP do you have?

Are you sure that you don't have just a regular ISP that provides internet via your netgear DG834G v5 router? If that was the case, all you had to do was hook up the laptop to the wireless router via ethernet and there you go.

No thats not the case. My ISP is over wifi. Its Ineedbroadband.co.uk. So I need to catch signal on my router and then send it to my pc via ethernet. If it is possible :)

No thats not the case. My ISP is over wifi. Its Ineedbroadband.co.uk. So I need to catch signal on my router and then send it to my pc via ethernet. If it is possible :)

Out of curiosity, have you actually tried just hooking up your laptop/PC to the router itself via ethernet? Just try and see what happens.

If you can install an alternate firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT on your router (or possibly even with the stock firmware), you should be able to configure it as a WiFi client rather than a router. However, since it's got an integrated modem, it doesn't look like there's much available as far as other firmware goes.

Back