Question - Extreme Edition or Core 2 Extreme?

Nahid

Limp Gawd
SPECS:

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme - 2.93

Model
Brand Intel
Series Core 2 Extreme
Model BX80557X6800
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Conroe
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Core 2 Extreme X6800
Operating Frequency 2.93GHz
FSB 1066MHz
L1 Cache 32KB+32KB
L2 Cache 4M shared
Process Type 65 nm
Vista Ready Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support No
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T
Voltage 0.850V-1.3525V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition - 3.73

Model
Brand Intel
Series Pentium Extreme Edition
Model BX80553965
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Presler
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Pentium Extreme Edition 965
Operating Frequency 3.73GHz
FSB 1066MHz
L1 Cache 24KB+32KB
L2 Cache 2 x 2MB
Process Type 65 nm
Vista Ready Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Voltage 1.30V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

MY SPECS:

Currently I have the following two PCs for gaming;

AMD X2 Socket 939 - 4400+ OC'd @ 2.38
- Zalman 9500. Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2Gb (1Gb x 2) Corsair PC3500, 36Gb Raptor 10k, 160Gb Sata II, BFG 7800GTX - Zalman VF900, Enermax 520 PSU, w/ an Audigy 2ZS Sound Card all inside the beautiful Antec P180

Intel Pentium 4 - Socket 478 3.0 OC'd @ 3.3 - Asus CPU Cooler. Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, 2Gb (512 x 4) Centon/Corsair PC-3200, 1 x 120Gb & 2 x 80Gb Hdd all in IDE. ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT (AGP), AeroCool 550 PSU. All inside an Acrylic Case.

I play Halo for PC. For some reason, I play better on my Intel PC which is on single core! It shocked me, because for sure w/ the upgraded AMD X2 Dual-Core system, I figured for sure the game play would be much better, however, I was wrong. For the longest time, I read up on reviews and lots of people mentioned that AMD is better, but I have yet to experience this from my upgrade.

SUMMARY:

Ok, both of these processors (Core 2 Duo Extreme & P4 Extreme Edition) are great, but I'm wondering if the difference are that huge? I mean certainly the price range for these two processors are the same, however, everything that comes out new is better, correct?

Both of these are Dual Core, P4 Extreme Edition is running @ 3.73 oppose to the Core 2 Extremes 2.93. One would automatically assume, the Extreme Eidition runs better w/ it's processor speed .80 faster than the Core 2 Extreme.

Any help w/ this matter, especially due to my knowledge in this area would help and of course greatly appreciate. I tried searching the internet for answers, but it does not make sense to me. I mean easily you can OverClock a 3.73 P4 to like 4.0 something oppose to OverClocking a 2.93 to 3.0 something.

CONCLUSION/QUESTION(S):

So, I only came to the conclusion, the more speed a processor has (P4EE-3.73 > 2.93-C2D), the better it is, right? So, why is a 2.93 Core 2 Extreme better than 3.73 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition? I mean especially after my AMD is @ 2.38 and my INTEL is @ 3.3. Certainly in that case, the Intel processor is faster by about .92 faster and on single-core.

P.S- I have a buddy who has a Pentium 4 - Socket 775 3.0 OC'd @ 3.75 and his PC runs Halo so well, when he plays he's always being accused of cheating! I mean the game itself does not have much requirement's to it, however, why not gain as much advantage as possible to be that much better? :)

Core 2 Extreme is the better option.

Altough it runs slower it delivers more performance because it does more work per clock cycle.It is a new generation core with shared L2 , significant advantages over the PEE 965.Not to mention it burns 75w compared to 130w.

So : Core 2 Extreme without second toughts.It is simply the best you can have for the moment.

*You might want to check Q6700 Extreme Edition , the Quad-core version.

So, I only came to the conclusion, the more speed a processor has (P4EE-3.73 > 2.93-C2D), the better it is, right?

Nope, Savantu post above is correct. There is much much more involved as you found out when your AMD is almost a good as the Intel but a lot slower.

I dont know what a quad core chip would do for running Halo, not much I bet.

Go with a C2D and use the saved money for a better video card which will have a huge impact on game performace.

quad core will do ZERO for gaming currently, dual core barely does anything

the Mhz war is over, faster does not = better.

The Core 2 Extreme X6800 or Core 2 Extreme QX6700 are the only Extreme series processors even worth looking at.

The Pentium Extreme Edition is pathetic by comparison.

Somebody's been reading too much of Newegg's "reviews" on the P4 EE, I see....:eek: :rolleyes:

Absolute morons. I read those "reviews" and I was left speechless. One or two reviews like that I could blow off, but not the huge multitude of reviews on the same subject with the same ignorant views.

SPECS:

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme - 2.93
vs
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition - 3.73

Core2Duo Extreme wins hands-down, unless you can somehow find the P4EE for $400

So, I only came to the conclusion, the more speed a processor has (P4EE-3.73 > 2.93-C2D), the better it is, right?
WITHIN a specific core series.

conroe 2.93 is better than conroe 2.66

kentsfield 3.0 is better than kentsfield 2.6

presler 3.73 is better than presler 3.4

but presler 3.73 isn't necessarily better than conroe 2.93, or even conroe 2.13

Different architectures completely ruin the comparison.
Cache comes into play, too.

Toledo 2.4 ghz @ 512k = "X2-4600+"
Toledo 2.4 ghz @ 1mb = "X2-4800+"

[I apoligize for using amd references in the intel forum]

You can't compare, say, a Pentium 3.6C (single core, 800mhz "fsb", 2mb cache) to say, an FX-55 (2.6ghz, 2000mhz "fsb", 1mb cache). The FX-55 will, in most cases, DEMOLISH the p4 3.6c
That doesn't mean that intel isn't king.

A single core, conroe, @ 2.4ghz is faster than your P4-EE-3.73

sad fact is, in some tests, an e6300 outperforms, an e6400 in even more, and an e6600 in almost all tests. If I had to rate it's overall performance, in "core 2 duo" terms, it'd be an "e6500" ..

^Thanks dude.

So, basically L2 Cache is very important, correct?

I was asking this because I want to eventually build a computer that is super fast, and I know since the Core2Extreme came out, it was selling and getting massive reviews about its overclockability!

Anyways, why aren't the Pentium Extreme Edition(s) price dropping by now?

Absolute morons. I read those "reviews" and I was left speechless. One or two reviews like that I could blow off, but not the huge multitude of reviews on the same subject with the same ignorant views.

Alot of those are newegg employee's in a vain attempt to get noobs to purchase the bunch of EE's they have left.

Back