• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

question about yorkfield and p45

kingdomwinds

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
406
I want to upgrade to a Q9450 and p45 mobo setup. i only intend to do a mild overclock of 3.2ghz. what is the ideal memory to use with this? will DDR2 800 be too slow?
 
3200 / 7.5 ~= 426.6666

I'd say most DDR2-800 should be able to take bumping up to that frequency without requiring that much voltage.
 
The Q9450 has a 8x multiplier. So yes DDR2 800 RAM is more than enough. However since you can get DDR2 1000 RAM for the same price, I recommend getting this:
G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 1000 RAM - $85

Some math:
Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
1:1 Ratio: 2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed
1:1 Ratio: FSB = 1/2 RAM speed

Q9450:
Multi x Actual FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
8 × 333Mhz = 2.6Ghz, DDR2-667 <<== Stock speeds
8 × 400Mhz = 3.2Ghz, DDR2-800 <<== Easy OC
8 × 450Mhz = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-900 <<== Good OC
8 × 500Mhz = 4.0Ghz, DDR2-1000 <<== Excellent OC
 
im using a q9450 and asus maximus formula (p45) and gskill ddr2 1000 since it was so cheap (199$ for 4x2gb sticks) and all i did was set my cpu to 1.25v and 450 fsb and its stable so far


any good pc 800 should work though
 
but will i see any benefit from DDR2 1000? I only need a mild overclock. I could see this being handy if i want 500fsb. but I only need 400fsb. I mean 1000 has worse timings than ddr2 800
 
I mean 1000 has worse timings than ddr2 800

Yeah and? You won't notice the difference between CAS4 and CAS5 in real world apps. Maybe synthetic benchmarks but definitely not real world apps.
 
Back
Top