Question about Xbox 360 wireless game receiver

biggles

2[H]4U
I have a generic Xbox 360 wireless game receiver. It allows you to connect a wireless 360 controller to the PC. It has never been easy or straightforward to get working. I used to follow this procedure:

However, this stopped working recently. It looks like the driver won't install anymore. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe due to a Windows OS update? I suspect Microsoft would not be helpful as they had a 1st party product. I would get one of the official Microsoft devices but they are no longer built and seemed expensive on ebay.

Maybe it is time to move on from using 360 controllers for PC games. Used to be this was the best option. I have been testing a PS4 controller on the PC recently. Sometimes works well, but in some cases it registers as a 360 pad, making onscreen button choices confusing.

I would grab an XBOX One game pad and move on personally. You can choose to just hard wire in (I think the controller comes with a Micro USB cable in the box if memory serves) or you can buy the official XBOX One receiver for the PC. I think some of the newer versions of the controller also have Bluetooth built in if your computer has Bluetooth, that could be an option (I have only used the wireless receiver myself and it works perfectly).

I used to have one of those wireless XBOX 360 receivers and had to follow a similar messed up process to get it to install, I'm not surprised that stopped working... I seem to remember having to unplug and re-plug and re-pair etc. fairly often. I bought it off of ebay, so it may have been a counterfeit, not sure, I couldn't source them locally at the time, so I bought it on ebay... Sounds similar to what you are describing...

I've had the knock off 360 receivers as well as the genuine ones. The genuine ones work great and are basically plug and play. The knock offs were always a hassle to get working and seemed to randomly start working when I did the same action over and over enough times to get it installed and identified. Huge pain. I've since gone to Xbox one controllers with genuine USB receiver. The Xbox one s controllers use Bluetooth, which I've used, but range isn't nearly as good as with the wireless receiver in my experience.

I may have found the solution here. Apparently it is related to Windows 10 version 2004:

Now I just need to decide if it is worth going through all of that trouble to get it working again. Also, I wonder if Microsoft will patch Windows in the future to fix it.

I may have found the solution here. Apparently it is related to Windows 10 version 2004:

Now I just need to decide if it is worth going through all of that trouble to get it working again. Also, I wonder if Microsoft will patch Windows in the future to fix it.

Not to sound like a dick or anything but I doubt Microsoft cares at this point. This is pretty old hardware at this point that hasn't been sold for quite a few years, they are more than happy to sell you new hardware. :)

As mnewxcv said and my experience above says, I think you will find you have a better experience with the XBOX One Controller and Xbox One adapter dongle, it works very well.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
find the old 2007 drivers and feed those via device manager. thats what i used to do, until it actually popped one day. then i caught a xb1 controller and wifi on sale for $50CAN.

I have to agree with the opinion that it might be time to step up to a modern Xbox one controller (or hold off for the release of the updated series x controller) It's pretty much the default for pc gaming.

I know that's an expensive option, but it ensures your on a modern controller that will always just work. They have BT built in, although I prefer the USB dongle. And IMHO, it's an all around much better feeling controller than the 360 pad.

Back