Question about Windows XP Installation

Kid8

2[H]4U
So i have given up on trying to get my laptop to boot up from my external drive. my question is will there be any problems if i install the OS on my hdd from a dif laptop then remove it and put it into my laptop. They are dif laptops, models everything. Can i just roll back the drivers to the ones i need.

*could* you? You probably *could* ... I'm not sure Windows will really like it though. You'll be switching *ALL* new hardware, motherboard, chipsets, video, everything.

I *do* believe there is a way to prepare it for that prior to the swap though... I *THINK* it was called SysPrep, but don't quote me.

You can't install Windows to an external drive, if I understand your intent. It simply doesn't work, no matter what you try. While it *is* possible to do what you're thinking of doing, it's just going to turn out to be a nightmare in the long, regardless of what drivers you choose to roll back.

If you can explain the situation in more depth I'll do what I can to help. Sounds like you're dealing with a laptop possible, but so far I just don't have enough to help with suggestions. And I've done pretty much every type of nightmare install there is, from no floppy/no CD/no USB boot capability machines to even worse situations. :D

Are the laptops the same chipset?
Myabe you can start the install, and after its done copying files, put the drive back into the original laptop.
cant hurt right !

sorry guys, yes it is laptop. I have an IBM x30 and I have been trying to get windows to install from my external cd drive but it won't do it. My gf has a compaq something or another and i was going to install windows from her laptop onto my hdd then put it back into my laptop.

Your best bet will be to put the drive in her laptop, get everything installed except drivers, and then run sysprep. Before you do run sysprep, make a folder on the C drive called Drivers, and stick all the drivers in it for your laptop. Then when you boot up the drive in your IBM, you'll have quick access to all the drivers.

would i be ok with doing all of that except the driver portion. i was thinking i could put all the drivers on my flash drive and load them from there, or is your way better?

Kid8 said:
would i be ok with doing all of that except the driver portion. i was thinking i could put all the drivers on my flash drive and load them from there, or is your way better?
Either way is fine, the point is to have them readily available when you boot the new drive up and sysprep is done doing it's thing.

Back