Question about VLK Windows XP Pro

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
I've been using a VLK Windows XP Pro provided to me by my college. I'm planning to build an entirely new system in few weeks so I was wondering if it was possible to move my VLK Windows XP Pro onto a new PC?

i'm guessing if you have to ask a question about VLK - It's not a legit install... ;) (never heard of a college or any place handing out VLK licenses)

With a VLK license and Windows XP - you can install it all over the place without worry.

The fact that you ask this is pretty funny.

You know that VLK means "Volume License Kit" right? It means VOLUME licensing. The entire point of the license's existence at all is to allow multiple installs from the same key.

"this car.. it drives on roads, right?"

never heard of a college or any place handing out VLK licenses)

That's how any decent sized college will do it. They treat the licensing just like a business, where as long as you are associated with the college, and doing college-related work on the computer, it's legal.

The question is are you entitled to use that Volume License Key? Does your college's Volume Licensing agreement cover software installed on computer that aren't owned by the college? If you are covered, just get a D/L a FCKGW copy then change the key to a valid VLK key.

I should clear up a few things. My college is part of the MSDNAA. Since I'm a CIS student, I was eligible for a free copy of Windows XP through the MSDNAA. I already installed my free copy onto one PC. I'm planning to build a new PC and I wanted to move my free copy over to the new PC. The old PC will be wiped clean for a Linux PC.

Anyway thanks for the replies people.

One would think that posing such a question in such a place as this is only going to get you a load of... well, you already know what you got, I guess. :)

Ask an Admin in the IT dept of your school for more info, or go check out the Microsoft licensing site for more details.

The EULA is the same (meaning the actual license.txt file) as the retail/OEM editions, so that file is useless. Best solution for the answer: Microsoft themselves.

Hope this helps...

If you got it via school, are you sure it's a VLK licensed copy? Did you have to activate it? Did they hand you a Windows XP OEM disc that had a sticker with a product key on it?

Right now it's sounding more like the OEM Windows XP that you can get cheap through campus licensing agreements, which is bound by the OEM or CLA license.

Simple way to test for it being a real VLK edition:

Press Windows + Pause (the Windows flag key + the Pause key at the same time), or right click on My Computer, choose Properties, or open Control Panel System. Gotta love multiple methodology... :)

If the second second set of digits is 640, it's a real VLK edition. For example:

61412-640-3152569-23143

640 is the Product ID code denoting a Volume License Key installation, and can be tracked by to the purchaser of the "corporate" license through Microsoft if necessary.

Hope this helps...

If you got it via school, are you sure it's a VLK licensed copy? Did you have to activate it? Did they hand you a Windows XP OEM disc that had a sticker with a product key on it?

Right now it's sounding more like the OEM Windows XP that you can get cheap through campus licensing agreements, which is bound by the OEM or CLA license.

I actually had to download it from the school's MSDNAA site and burn the ISO to a CD.

@ bbz_Ghost
When I get home, I'll check out if its VLK. Thanks for the help, man.

Back